Various - Help me choose! - lambada

I'm having a hard time deciding which of the cars below to buy and would appreciate some opinions. I'm a 33 yr old male based in Malta and cover 6k miles annually. I use a/c for 6 months of the year and very rarely have passengers.

1. Nissan Qashqai 1.2 DIG-T 115 ps manual with 3 yrs warranty

2. Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 125 PS manual with 5 yrs warranty

3. Mazda 3 2.0 120 PS automatic with 5 yrs warranty

4. Seat Leon 1.4 TSi 122 PS manual with 5 yrs warranty

5. VW Golf 1.4 TSi 122 PS manual with 5 yrs warranty

For the sake of simplicity we'll assume that all cars have the same extras and cost the same. I intend to keep the car for about 8 years and am therefore concerned about reliability. I care about responsiveness and fuel economy but depreciation isn't of much importance. I will be buying brand new.

What are your views?

Thanks!

Various - Help me choose! - daveyjp
Its a strange list as the cars are from different segments and one is an auto.

My choice would be the Mazda because it relies on capacity rather than forced induction to achieve the power output, The downside is the engine is new so you will be an early adopter, the upside no turbo to replace.

Thanks for your feedback. I believe it's only the Qashqai that's in a different segment from the rest. I shortlisted it because I like i) the fact that it's made by a Japanese manufacturer, ii) its high driving position, iii) its interior and exterior appearance.

The Mazda 3 2.0 is only available as an auto where I live. I've never driven an auto before but have heard good things about them.

Various - Help me choose! - unthrottled

Mazda only went n/a because they haven't got the resources to develop a turbo motor. Same reason Jaguar use a supercharger-just a lazy substitute for a good turbo set up. Everyone else uses turbos for good reason.

Edited by unthrottled on 28/03/2014 at 20:53

Various - Help me choose! - oldtoffee

Mazda first choice, Nissan second. The jury is still out on smaller capacity turbocharged petrols so as economy isn't an issue go for the only normally aspirated choice which also happens to be a decent motor in its own right.

I'm fairly confident that Honda and Toyota have the resources to develop turbo petrol motors but they haven't yet done so.

Various - Help me choose! - unthrottled

Honda at least are frantically playing catch up. The current civic Type R is the last one to be naturally aspirated. Guess what's in the pipeline-that's right, a turbo.

Having taken a bizarre stance against forced induction in general and turbos in particular, the Japanese have been caught red-faced. VTEC-more lag than a turbo, and no boost at the end!

Various - Help me choose! - Happy Blue!

For me it would be the Nissan. The main reason being the driving height makes ingress and egress so much easier, coupled with known reliability, improved visibility and interior space. They are also a decent drive. We have one in our company fleet and every one who drives it says it is a great car.

Having said that, Malta is a small, densely populated island, with presumably the usual traffic issues and a decent automatic may be the best solution.

Various - Help me choose! - gordonbennet

Unless Malta have resurfaced every road in the last 15 years, i'd choose a softly sprung car, which immediately removes boneshaker Focus from the list.

I'm a little surprised at the lengths of warranty that apply here, are these warranties maker backed?

I'd be looking at cars with compliant ride due to my previous experience of Malta's roads, so maybe a soft roader would be the way to go (though not necessarily), if 5 year warranties are common there i'd be looking at other makes too in case the likes of Kia offer the 7 year cover, and i'd test them all till i found the ride i wanted.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/03/2014 at 10:02

@Happy Blue - Is your company fleet's Qashqai the latest model? The only automatic option I have is the Mazda 3 2.0 120 PS. Other models are not available as automatics or beyond my budget.

@gordonbennet - The roads have improved over the past 15 years but are still not up to western european standards. Nissan's 3 year warranty is all manufacturer backed. Mazda has 2 year manufacturer + 3 year dealer warranty and not sure about the rest. I've looked at Kia, Hyundai and other makes too but didn't find any models I liked. It took me months to come up with the above shortlist.

Has anyone tried the 2.0 120 PS Mazda 3, particularly in auto form?

Various - Help me choose! - Happy Blue!

lambada - the Quasqai we have is one of the last of the old models, and a friend has a brand new, new model. The new model is very nice and the improvements are worthwhile. It is roomier than the old model, if you need the extra space.

Various - Help me choose! - Bobbin Threadbare

Thanks for your feedback. I believe it's only the Qashqai that's in a different segment from the rest. I shortlisted it because I like i) the fact that it's made by a Japanese manufacturer, ii) its high driving position, iii) its interior and exterior appearance.

The Mazda 3 2.0 is only available as an auto where I live. I've never driven an auto before but have heard good things about them.

The Cashcow is still a C-segment car, and is made of quite a lot of Renault bits. That 1.2l version will go like a slug; it's about a tonne and a half!

I have had 2 Mazdas in a row and my my mum also runs one; we have both had a really good experience with them in terms of reliability and affordability.

Various - Help me choose! - skidpan

4. Seat Leon 1.4 TSi 122 PS manual with 5 yrs warranty

Bought a Seat Leon 1.4 TSI last June, superb car, no regrets at all. Has averaged 45 mpg overall, seen 52 mpg on one longish run.

But the 1.4 TSi is 140PS. The 122 PS was available in the old model but not in the current one.

The 5 year warranty is an extra cost item, I bought it since if purchased with the car it provides the exact same cover for years 4 and 5 as the 3 year warranty. If purchased after you but the car there are dozens of exclusions and there is also a hefty excess on all claims. Just make sure you sign up when you buy the car and not after.

Seat also do cracking service plans. I am paying £10.91 a month for a 3 years plan which is about a £120 saving over the 3 years

@Happy Blue! - Don't really need the extra space but I like the qashqai's high driving position and appearance.

@Bobbin Threadbare - According to reviews the 1.2 qashqai suffers when it comes to accelerating on motorways but is otherwise OK. Not concerned about this because we don't have motorways here. I would definitely test drive before ordering though. Knowing it has Renault parts is off putting. In Canada and USA Mazdas seem to have a bad reputation for rusting. Is this also the case in the UK?

@skidpan - Thanks for sharing your experience with the Leon. The latest model is in fact available with the 122 PS engine here. 5 year warranty is included in price here but I think part of it is from the dealer.

Various - Help me choose! - Bobbin Threadbare

@Bobbin Threadbare - According to reviews the 1.2 qashqai suffers when it comes to accelerating on motorways but is otherwise OK. Not concerned about this because we don't have motorways here. I would definitely test drive before ordering though. Knowing it has Renault parts is off putting. In Canada and USA Mazdas seem to have a bad reputation for rusting. Is this also the case in the UK?

That's what would bug me; I can't stand driving cars that haven't got any guts to get onto the motorway and accelerate up to a safe speed quickly, or get round any obstacles in a timely fashion. No rust on any of my Mazdas but I can't say for anyone else!

The choice is now between the Mazda 3 2.0 120 PS auto and the VW Golf 1.4 TSi 122 PS manual. Are Mazda's automatic transmissions any less reliable than other brands' torque converters?

Edited by lambada on 14/04/2014 at 19:58

Various - Help me choose! - SteveLee

None of the above, buy a Kia Cee'd then the bulk of your 8 years of ownership will be under warranty.

The Ceed is only available with the sluggish 1.4 petrol engine here. My dad had the same engine in his i30 and I don't find it responsive enough.