Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyunai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - chunkytonka

Hi Guys

First post

Really chuffed to be here!!

In a few months I'll be buying a new moter. One of the above.

Taking into account that I've seen quite a few of Honest John's vids on youtube I thought I'd come here for some extra good advice.

Anyway, I'm looking at the TCe 115 - Kia Cee'd - Kia Pro cee'd and the Hyundai i30.

I can't decide which!! Serious problem.

I need a car for work generally, so extra urban mpg is important. About six times a year I do a few long runs of between 140/310 miles.

From what I have read the Megane's turbo and injection engine isn't so good for urban mpg........?

What exactly am I looking for?

-Good mpg/petrol

-Modern looking

-Comfy - regarding sitting position/motorway and high speed noise.

-Good suspension

-Resonably sized boot

-90 bhp minimum

Taking into account that I have a Megane mk 1. 15 years old and 74.000 on the clock. Not a lot.

Looking forward to your suggestions

Chunkytonka

Edited by chunkytonka on 26/03/2014 at 15:59

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyunai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - galileo

Kia warranty 7 years, 100,000 miles. Hyundai warranty 5 years unlimited. Basically the same cars.

Renault warranty 3 years for cars registered before February 2012, after that date 4 years.

What mileage will you do, how long do you expect to keep the car? These factors may help you decide.

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyunai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - unthrottled

So someone else still has a mk 1 Megane!

I've got twice your mileage on mine and the engine is still reasonably good on oil and fuel.

Tbh, most people who bought the small turbo petrols had unrealistic expectations of urban fuel economy from these engines. A lot of the manufacturers use a similar formula so I doubt there'll be a big difference in fuel economy between comparable cars.

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyunai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - Collos25

Which one in your eyes out of the three looks the best thats the one I would buy.

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyundai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - Avant

Only if looks are important to you. Best to test drive all the contenders: they each do a similar job and for most of us, if not Collos, the issue is whst they're like to drive and what sort of deal you can get.

From memory I think we've had more people on this forum saying how pleased they are with their Kia Ceeds than we have of the others. The Proceed is just a coupe vwersion of the hatchback.

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyundai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - skidpan

The Megane and the i30 are 5 doors so why include the 3 door Pro Ceed. The 5 door Ceed is way more practical and cheaper with the same kit. Some say its better looking but to me it looks like a Ceed with 2 doors removed. There is no way on planet earth it should be called a "Coupe". The Capri was the Coupe version of the Cortina, big difference, the Scirocco is the Coupe version of the Golf, big difference again.

Having said that since we have a Ceed I would say buy a Ceed, but not the Pro version. If you see a good Hyundai you like that would also be fine.

You see just too many bad reports about Renault reliability and customer satisfaction to make them worth consideration in my opinion.

The only problem with the Kia and Hyundai is the petrol engine (which I presume is the one you are considering). They go OK but you have to thrash them to access the performance and the economy suffers. They really need some modern petrols in the range.

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyundai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - unthrottled

If you want cheap reliability, the existing Mk 1 will take some beating.

As Skidpan says, the Korean's insipid naturally aspirate petrols don't really offer anything that the existing megane doesn't.

The TCe engine will be better to drive. For me it would be a megane or a megane.

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyundai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - chunkytonka

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the feedback!

Yeah, the Pro cee'd was added to the selection simply for its looks. Nothing else.

Yesterday I read that Kia's technology was second hand from the Hyundai. I don't know if there is any truth in that. I also read that the Hyundai is a real contender to the Golf. I've driven a Golf but I didn't notice anything spectacular about it, apart from its exagerated cost.

Regarding the Renault, yes, I've read to many bad reviews about it too. I reckon the last good Megane is the one I have at the moment. The mk 1, and you still see plenty of them around.

My wife drives a Kia Picanto, I think it's the 2007 or 8 model. I like the power it has and the steering is good. Hard suspension though and the clutch pedal was VERY hard. The clutch was eventually replaced at 27.000 miles. I hope things have improved.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Korean cars. They are obviously targeting the European market at the moment with a good product and low price. I just might get one before the price goes up.

Any more opinions please?

Cheers

Chunkytonka

Yesterday I read that Kia's technology was second hand from the Hyundai. I don't know if there is any truth in that.

Huyundai and Kia are sister companies just like Audi, VW, Skoda and Seat.

They share the same engines, transmissions etc and under the skin the floorpans of cars are exactly the same.

Ceed and i30

Rio and i20

Picanto and i10

Venga and ix20

Sportage and 1x35

Optima and 140

Whichever you buy you get exactly the same technology wrapped in different panels.

Its really down to personal preference.

In our case we bought the Kia because although the Hyundai was very nice and the same price etc the dealer was 15 miles away, the Kia dealer is 2 miles. The Hyundai dealer treated us just as well as teh Kia dealer but he wanted virtually double what the Kia dealer charges for a service but I still suspect that was because the company sold Subarus as well and priced the servicing for both makes the same.

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyundai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - daveyK_UK

go for the i30.

its the best all rounder.

Avoid the megane, while Renault have improved thety are still not at the same level in terms of reliability as the hyundai/kia group.

go for the i30.

its the best all rounder

Can you expand on that. Having owned a Ceed for almost 4 years now and having looked at the i30 I am interested to hear your reasons.

In my opinion the Ced has a much cleaner shape, the i30 has too many details. Its also a bit bigger and with a longer warranty.

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyundai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - galileo

In my opinion the Ced has a much cleaner shape, the i30 has too many details. Its also a bit bigger and with a longer warranty.

Depending on anticipated mileage, Ceed warranty may be longer but is only for 100,000 miles.

Shape and details are highly subjective, each to his own taste.

Ceed warranty may be longer but is only for 100,000 miles

Not quite true. For the first 3 years the Kia warranty is unlimited (unless its a Taxi - then its 100,000 miles), after that its limited to 100,000 miles. Since most Kia's are bought privately I don't expect its an issue for most owners.

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyundai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - daveyK_UK

The ceed and i30 are practically the same car.

The reason i favour hyundai over kia is because of my experience working with hyundai hq in high wycombe, the hyundai brand was always favoured above the kia brand.

i dont think it matters, they are 95% the same car.

Same with the ix20/venga, picanto/i10, etc

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyundai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - chunkytonka

Comparing the dash/fascia of the Cee'd and the i30, the Cee'd looks dated.

It reminds me of the 80s Citroen Xsara

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I finally went for the 1.4 i30 classic with alloys - no regrets.

Very nice inside, smooth and quiet, so watch the speedometre. I caught myself doing 170kmh. I had no idea!!

It does struggle a bit on hills with two adults and the boot full, but all in all I'm a happy camper.

I get 7.4 litres/km extra urban. Drops down to 7 on the motorway.

Cheers!

Megane TCe 115, Kia cee'd (pro), Hyundai i30 - Which one shall I buy? - Avant

Looks like a good choice. Many thanks for coming back and telling us.

Update:

I've got it down to 7.1litres/100 km.......extra urban

Not bad

Edited by chunkytonka on 18/03/2015 at 22:39

Hi guys

Took it for the yearly revision in July

They updated the software - not VW I hope.....

It was actually for the steering and I reckon for the timing because on the motorway I now get 6 L/100km - petrol - with the boot full. Extra urban is the same

I did 2,800 km last summer without any probs

Cheers!

Edited by chunkytonka on 13/11/2015 at 09:14

It was actually for the steering and I reckon for the timing because on the motorway I now get 6 L/100km - petrol - with the boot full. Extra urban is the same

I did 2,800 km last summer without any probs

Cheers!

As I have a 1.4 i30 too, are your consumption figures from the computer dislpay or measured brim-to brim?

I find there is sometimes quite a difference between the two results.

Hi

They are from the display.

I usually fill up the tank when it gets down to a quarter. I personally don't find this a good way to guesstimate consumption.

I recently did a 440km journey, which left me with half a tank at the end.

Cheers!

Hi

They are from the display.

I usually fill up the tank when it gets down to a quarter. I personally don't find this a good way to guesstimate consumption.

I recently did a 440km journey, which left me with half a tank at the end.

Cheers!

After a 240 mile trip my display showed 50 mpg but filling up the true consumption was 44 mpg (filled at the same pump to same level).