Audi TT Coupe - Audi TT (1.8) Coupe, 225 bhp - harry55

Hey, any advice here about the used Audi TT Coupe. Is this a good small sports coupe for the money? which one should I get - 180 or 225 bhp? I need coupe as roadster version only has 2 front seats, the coupe has some room in back for my little boy. I am aware of issues around dash console? ESP package? suspension? air mass meter problems?

Is there a better value used small sports car for a budget of £4,000?

Thanks for help!

Audi TT Coupe - Audi TT (1.8) Coupe, 225 bhp - oldtoffee

Depends what you mean by value - I'd say a Toyota Celica 1.8 vvti would be but thats because I'd feel more confident about its reliability potential vs the TT and I could pick up a slightly newer one with less miles for the same money. Bit more space too. A Honda S2000 would be interesting but space is not good. An older Porsche Boxster stands a better chance of being less abused than a TT. But the TT is a good looking car and if you can find a good independent to look after it it might not be overly expensive to keep on the road. Early ones had a propensity to lift off oversteer quite badly on fast bends but they changed the suspension to remove it. Otherwise normal VW parts, some reliable some not. Its cheap and easy to remap a 180bhp to 230+ bhp so that's a risk. Need cambelt and water pump changes every 4 or 5 years. Stay away from sports cars with lots of owners, people have just bought them to hack around in for a year or two and then got rid.

Audi TT Coupe - Audi TT (1.8) Coupe, 225 bhp - Bobbin Threadbare

I'd leave a TT at this sort of price, unless it's been totally cherished. You'd be paying for repairs, parts and running costs on a car that started life at £30k, not a £4k car!

The Celica is a good bet; powerful, decent sized boot, back seats, and importantly, Toyota's reliability levels. A lot cheaper to maintain than a TT. Also, Celicas keep their value (residual since they're not made anymore and the newest ones you'll find will be 56 plate) as their rarity and reliability makes them a good bet.

I'm not sure about putting a child in a car like this; my MX-5 has Isofix child seat points on its two seats but I wouldn't transport a child, buggy and kid paraphenalia round in it!

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 25/03/2014 at 20:50

Audi TT Coupe - Audi TT (1.8) Coupe, 225 bhp - harry55

Hi - thanks for the expert advice. I will investigate the cars you mentioned. Cheers.