Budget 2014 - Petrol Duty Freeze - KT1

Hi everyone,

First post so hope I'm following all the rules! Just been reading about the news that will effect motorists in the 2014 budget - mainly the petrol duty freeze.

Bit confused about it all really - does this mean that petrol prices will decrease or not? The BBC seems to suggest that petrol prices will fall by 2p shortly - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26669614 but elsewhere (I think it was the Guardian who said it but I can't find the link to that), so instead you can read it on here: http://www.showplatesdirect.com/uk/blog/the-2014-budget-tax-on-petrol-prices-uk-frozen-tax-increases-for-motorists/) that petrol duty has been frozen for the past few years and prces have still been increasing.

2012 saw the prices inflate the most - so my question to everyone is what do you think is going to happen? And more importantly, when will it reach the point where I can no longer afford to run my car?!

Just after opinion, but you you have facts too then that would be great. Thank you!

Budget 2014 - Petrol Duty Freeze - Bromptonaut

Duty is a large part of the price of petrol/diesel but it's not the only factor. As it's been frozen any change between now and next year's budget will be due to those 'other factors'.

They include:

• the market price of crude oil - usual demand supply rules apply as do geo politics. Russian shenanigans may have an effect as will any Israel/Arab/US/Iran flare up, so might demand as western economy recovers.
  • Oil is priced in dollars. The pound has risen against the dollar of late so price of a barrell in £ has falen
  • Refining capacity. UK produces too much petrol and not enough diesel. Supply demand and diesel's similarity to the oil fraction used for heating can push its price well ahead of petrol.

Price at the pump now is about what it was at peak in 2008 but it fell back a long way early in the recession.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 21/03/2014 at 15:12

Budget 2014 - Petrol Duty Freeze - Collos25

According to CNN America could and most likely will release some of its unwanted reseves onto the market to get at the Russians the effect will be to drop a barrel of oil by around 10-15 dollars the Saudis are ok with this ploy so time will tell

Budget 2014 - Petrol Duty Freeze - jamie745

Tax is the majority of the pump price and I think this is the first time in over 20 years it's been frozen for this long. It was one of Gordon Brown's favourites, he put it up 2p every year but I don't think the current Government have touched it since they've been in office - they did put VAT up though, so don't let them off the hook entirely.

Budget 2014 - Petrol Duty Freeze - Gibbo_Wirral

The Tories scapped the fuel duty escallator.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10011418/We-will...l

Budget 2014 - Petrol Duty Freeze - Bromptonaut

The Tories scapped the fuel duty escallator.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10011418/We-will...l

The original fuel duty escalator was introduced in 1993 to give an annual increase of RPI +3%, later 5%. Chancellor then was Kenneth Clarke and the stated justification was environmental. Under Labour it was increased to RPI+6% but abolished after the fuel duty protests in 2000.

Since then both parties have increased duty selectively, as was always the case, though recently planned increases have tended to be abandoned under pressure from Number 10.