Hyundai i20; Ford Fiesta - Hyundai i20 vs Ford Fiesta - novo

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my first car to commute to my job (40 miles a day). My priorities are reliability and safety and at the moment I am mainly looking at Hyundai i20s and Ford Fiestas. My budget is £6500 and I prefer the car to be less than 5 years old.

The Hyundai has a good guarantuee, but I am not sure if it's reliable as I have read some get problems with the clutch. The Ford seems to get better reviews, but is a bit more expensive. What car would you recommend, the Hyundai, the Ford or something completely different?

Also, is it a good idea to buy an approved used car, or are you just paying more for nothing extra?

Thanks!

Hyundai i20; Ford Fiesta - Hyundai i20 vs Ford Fiesta - Happy Blue!

Both very good cars for the sector they are in and both will be reliable. 40 miles a day is about 10,000 miles a year, so with private mileage, you may prefer diesel to petrol for economy and in that area the Ford is likely to be better and will also be a better 'drivers' car. The Fiesta will put a smile on your face if the commute is over twisty roads. If it is along plain main roads and traffic/motorways, then either will be fine.

Approved used cars are better than non-approved. Hopefully they have had a thorough check over. Don't waste your money on an after market warranty. Simply put money to one side instead.

Also look at the Skoda Fabia and Kia Rio.

Hyundai i20; Ford Fiesta - Hyundai i20 vs Ford Fiesta - artill

I would go petrol just to eliminate the possible diesel related problems, and you will get mid 40s economy from most small petrol cars over that distance. I would probably go Japanese for a second hand car, and look at a Honda Jazz, Mazda 2 or Toyota Yaris. All are very reliable.

A further possibility art the top of your budget would be a brand new car such as Peugeot 107, Citroen C1 or Toytoa Aygo (All 3 are really the same). Dont be put off by the small external size, and you might better 50 mpg with one of these, as well as having at least 3 years manufacturers warrenty. The drive pretty well too.

Hyundai i20; Ford Fiesta - Hyundai i20 vs Ford Fiesta - daveyjp
Only a review from one person, but our i20 1.2 was truly terrible to drive. After 6 months we traded it.

You mention the clutch. Ours didn't fail, but it gave you the impression it wasn't the most robust part of the car and ours had done just 11,000 miles.

Get a good long test drive and see if you can live with it day to day.
Hyundai i20; Ford Fiesta - Hyundai i20 vs Ford Fiesta - Auristocrat

Both my sister/brother-in-law and ourselves bought new i20's in April 2012. So far they haven't put a foot wrong. As regards comfort, my sister and brother in law range from 5ft 3 to 6ft 4 and have found the i20 comfortable enough to undertake holidays travelling from the UK to Germany with a full load of luggage and two bikes on roof mounted carriers. We have done around 9500 miles in ours, and have no complaints with either the comfort or the reliability. The comfort of the seats have been absolutely fine

Yes they're not the most exciting to drive, but performance wise they're certainly on a par with our previous Mazda 2, and the ride, through not having low profile tyres, is far better. Ours are also well equipped - six airbags, bluetooth, etc.

Hyundai i20; Ford Fiesta - Hyundai i20 vs Ford Fiesta - daveyK_UK

how about a corsa?

its the best car GM make that you can buy in the UK, loads of space, fairly reliable, very cheap to insure and service.

Hyundai i20; Ford Fiesta - Hyundai i20 vs Ford Fiesta - groaver

Having driven i20s, diesel Fiestas. Peugeot 207 &208 diesels, Renault Clio diesels, Nissan Micras, Chevrolet Sparks and Peugeot 107s on our fleet I personally liked the feel and drive in the i20s best of all. The 1.2 petrol always felt very peppy.

Hyundai i20; Ford Fiesta - Hyundai i20 vs Ford Fiesta - hla

Another vote for the i20. Plenty of space, happy around town and on the motorway and, as groaver said, it's quite lively if you use the revs. The 1.2 petrol is as economical as any other similar sized petrol car.