Ford Ka - 2004 Ford KA: blowing cold air and losing coolant - Wolvensam

Morning all,

I've been having a Google search for this problem for quite some time, and I usually find it's either one problem or the other as opposed to both at the same time.

I've had my Ford KA for about seven or eight months now: it's a fantastic little car, starts up fist time without fail and runs like a dream. A couple of months ago I'd run a usual check on the coolant and oil levels and noticed the former was dangerously low: no problem I thought and topped it back up. I tended to do this once every two weeks (no idea if this is normal!).

However, it has now gotten to the stage where I'm topping up the car once every three days, if not every day, as it is losing that much water. I identified a leak yesterday when I left the car running in idle - it was offset centre of the passenger side (sorry to not be more precise: I'm not very good with cars!) and a mechanic advised I mix a bit of Radweld with the water as a temporary fix. The leak appears to have stopped, but the car does not blow hot air for the life of it.

I phoned up a garage this morning and am taking the car there after work. This mechanic seemed a bit dubios about my use of radweld however! Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and how much it will cost to fix?

Thanks for any help :)

Sam

Ford Ka - 2004 Ford KA: blowing cold air and losing coolant - Collos25

If its not leaking and you have cold air from your heater I suggest with all your previous problems you have an air lock in the heating system.Take of the coolant filler cap put the heater on full heat start the engine when it reaches temp the air will come out it may take some time before all the air is removed you then have to wait till it cools down to add coolant to the system.

If the leak is from the waterpump and its not working properly then non of the above will work till you have rectified the problem.

Ford Ka - 2004 Ford KA: blowing cold air and losing coolant - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds very much like the plastic thermostat housing is fractured.Not uncommon on these.The other issue may be corrosion of the aluminium cylinder head material where the stat is bolted.This could be more of a problem.Low water in the system means no heater.