Toyota Carina E - maintenance and accessories - rayjoyce17
hi to all,
I have just purchased my grandads car for £300 it has 70,000 miles on it and is a toyota carina e 1.8 cdx on an N reg. it has been sat for 2 years my grandad lives in thailand so it hasnt been touched. sorned obvioulsy and mot expired. charged the battery overnight and ticked it over for ten minutes on my dads advice. started first time. i have not moved it or taken the wheels off so i am unsure if the brakes are ceased hopefully not they should just be sticky. it has been 2 years. a taxi driver told me i should check the clutch not sure how to do this. to my knowledge everything works except the radio/cd. which i can replace. was considering putting in a k&n air filter is this worthwhile. any advice other than try not wrapping it round a tree will be appreciated with thanks. i have read that castrol sms is the best for gearbox oil change which i happily take on board. will consider worthwhil modifications if its worth it for the car. i havent driven for 5 years and the car is 18 yrs old. i would imagine there are things on the market i do not know about and i would imagine there to be technology improvements in 20 yrs since the car was manufactured. i read that platinum spark plugs is an option but as far as i know this car has had bosch.
kindest regards guys
thank you
Ray
Toyota Carina E - maintenance and accessories - Falkirk Bairn

Get a local Indie to price the following

Service, all fluids changed, 4 x tyres, brakes overhauled............. say £600+

With this total you have to now consider to go ahead or scrap.....currently the car is nigh on worthless.............how much service would you might possibly get for your service & repair money?

Toyota Carina E - maintenance and accessories - jc2

Don't bother with the air filter or plugs-if it's safe,just drive it!