Backroomers in real life.... - Mark (RLBS)
So, managed to put faces to two more of the Backroomers today - Volvoman and HF (who reckons she knows what all the buttons in her Astra do now, although I'm not convinced).

Quite a pleasure.

And before anybody else says anything, I do *NOT* look like Ian Botham.

Backroomers in real life.... - volvoman
Nice to meet you & the little'un too Mark & thanks for again the yellow 'elasticky' stuff.

I feel confident that HF does know what all the buttons on her Astra do now. As for all the dials, knobs, stalks and warning lights, I'm not so sure ;-)
Backroomers in real life.... - Tom Shaw
Ian Botham, eh.

Had you figured as a sort of Crocodile Dundee.
>>Had you figured as a sort of Crocodile Dundee.

Well, I certainly have the leather around the neck and dress about that smartly..........
Backroomers in real life.... - HF
No, I can assure you all that there is no resemblance to Ian Botham at all - nor to Crocodile Dundee - sorry to disappoint.

Today was a real pleasure though, I agree with M on that.

Just as an afterthought, M, do you have any famous personalities in mind that you feel V resembles?!
HF ;)
And V,
I\'ve known enough pink furry dice in my time to have sussed out what they do.

Sorry M, I\'ve been drinking.......
HF
Backroomers in real life.... - bafta

*I've known enough pink furry dice in my time to have sussed out what they do.*

That's funny this said knobs last night. How can you operate an Astra with such strange things?
Bafta,
The pink furry dice are to cushion me as I try to climb in and out of the window.
HF
HF
The pink furry dice are to cushion me as I try to climb in and out of the window.

Yes, I read about your antics on another thread. Its your son I feel sorry for, having such an eccentric mother. I only have to look as if I might say something embarrassing to be instantly disowned, but entering and leaving the car by the boot and window. That's awesome!
Yes, I read about your antics on another thread. Its your
son I feel sorry for, having such an eccentric mother. I
only have to look as if I might say something embarrassing
to be instantly disowned, but entering and leaving the car by
the boot and window. That's awesome!

>>
I *really* had no other choice! Son was in hysterics about it, btw, it made his day - had it been my older son, it might well have been a different matter entirely!
HF
Backroomers in real life.... - J Bonington Jagworth
Where's this then, Mark? I take it that HF and VM are not currently visiting South America... :-)
Good old Kent, JBJ, can't beat it for tacky pubs (well this part of it anyway)
F
Backroomers in real life.... - Dave_TD
Uh oh, not the famous annual HJ ploughman's? ;-)
Backroomers in real life.... - THe Growler
I have no idea if this will work:

photos.yahoo.com/bc/cubicinchesmatter/lst?.dir=/Mo...+(sort+off)+Stuff&.view=t

Mark you surprise me. I always thought of you as a slightly more youthful Jacques Chirac(evil grin)

Alright then, where are these faces to be found so we can all share 'em?
OK it doesn't work. Will try again.
still not working. Need help ? E-Mail Lee, he knows this stuff.
Uh oh, not the famous annual HJ ploughman's? ;-)

>>

Nah, 'fraid we're not as generous as that in this part of the world.....

Glad to see I've finally achieved my first 'pink fluffy dice'.
HF
Backroomers in real life.... - Dave_TD
Growler - try:

groups.msn.com/honestjohn/people.msnw?action=ShowP...1

HF - No comment!!!

Dave.
Dave: appreciate that, have signed on. Thanks.
Just to let you know that the bright yellow elasticky stuff does exactly what it says on the tin. It's now been properly installed, tried and thoroughly tested and the verdict is......

..... "the man from Orpington, he say YES !!

We now have a very, very happy bunny ! :o)

Thanks again Mark !
I've tried Dave's link but cannot find these new pictures. They are the same as before. Am I missing something?
I'm glad. And its not likely to bounce him through a ceiling ?

M.
Nah Mark - but his bedroom ceiling needs decorating anyway so if he does it might speed things up a bit !
Backroomers in real life.... - eMBe {P}
The link to backroomers photos quoted by DTD and requoted here
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/people.msnw?action=ShowP...1
is also given on HJ's FAQ1
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=31)
listed under "Backromers Photos".

Currently it has Randolph, Growler/Growlette, Mark, Johsn S, and one or two more. To post your own photos

1. you go to the above photos link page,
2. click on "add photos",
3. type in your hotmail account details,
4. and then if you are not already a member of "Honestjohn Photos" group, fill in the simple few questions to join the Group.
Backroomers in real life.... - Graham
Where's the motoring thread in all this?
Mark used his car to get here !
>>Where's the motoring thread in all this?

What's your point ? And do you really want to make it ?
OK got meself registered and an email confirming it. Got to the photos albums, clicked Add Photos. Up comes MSN Upload Tool prompt to install. Keeps saying installation failed due to site not authenticated. Something about ActiveX controls not permitted as well.
Ot should I have read the FAQ before I posted this....:-(

Sorry, shot from the hip there, have now got it wired and managed to post a few. Nice site. Enjoyed the photos. Ian (Cook) I ought to remember your face from the Bald Eagles days but I don't, although I certainly recall the name.

As to the detractor's comments above, why not? If the nature of this site and the fact we all enjoy it directs someone to come up with idea of a few pics we can all have a look at and share, the it's fine with me. There's the Technical Forum for the heavy stuff anyhow. Jeez, life's serious enough as it is...

I once got a PM saying a certain poster thought I was making up all this stuff about Growlette and trucks and Harleys and Mustangs and he called me some rude names. Why? search me. Perhaps his life was lousy and he was projecting on me. Anyhow it's all up there in living color now.

Backroomers in real life.... - Dan J
Great photos Growler - Your Mustang was a beautiful car and it's such a shame it had to go, still, no point in you not being able to enjoy it whilst it's sat in storage in the UK! If I'd have had the cash at the time...

Out of interest, how come you didn't export the car to the Manila?
I thought about it, but (a) a convertible is no good in the tropics, high heat and humidity mean good aircon, (b) the process of importing here is a nightmare, mainly due to the "facilitation fees" demanded by Customs at every step (c) on these roads it would likely fall apart.

If it had been a bike I could have broken it down, sent some bits air freight as spares , some by mail, some with friends' luggage, reassembled it all here then taken it for registration....welcome to the Philippines.......
I thought about it, but (a) a convertible is no good in the tropics, high heat and humidity mean good aircon, (b) the process of importing here is a nightmare, mainly due to the "facilitation fees" demanded by Customs at every step (c) on these roads it would likely fall apart.

If it had been a bike I could have broken it down, sent some bits air freight as spares , some by mail, some with friends' luggage, reassembled it all here then taken it for registration....welcome to the Philippines.......
Backroomers in real life.... - M.M
>>As to the detractor's comments above, why not? If the nature of this site and the fact we all enjoy it directs someone to...

Actually Growler I would guess Graham was having a friendly and ironic pop at our leader who has been known to use a similar phrase.

Perhaps he needed a P arp P arp!

MM
Backroomers in real life.... - Ian Cook
Growler, you are much as I remember you, except - possibly the beard, I don't recall you having that in '62.

BTW, I took the liberty of passing your e-mail addess to Neil Tidey - I hope that was OK.

Ian Cook
Backroomers in real life.... - Union Jack
Growler

End result looks OK to me - especially the one on the right - no wonder you need a fire extinguisher!

Best wishes, and keep the fresh blasts of commonsense coming ....

Jack
I think it would be useful if HJ had a link to the backroom photos at the left of this forum. In the absence of one, I have added a link to this discussion to remind people how to upload their pics if they wish to share them with other backroomers.

I have only just seen the 18 photos posted by Dave Taxi Driver in his album - for some reason his albem is not listed on the links at the left of
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/shoebox.msnw
but is shown in the main body middle of the page.

I like Growlers new pics. I presume the previous ones were posted by Lee but Growler has only just discovered how to add more himself! How about Mark, Stephen, Martyn and HJ adding some new photos of their own?
>>> In the absence of one, I have added a link to this discussion <<<< The link appears in my signature which I will append on my new posts on other pages.
Backroomers in real life.... - Citroënian {P}
Mark (RLBS) wrote
...email Lee

Sorry if anyone is trying to email me, I'm kinda out of normal touch for a bit, I'll reply to anything I can as soon as I return to the UK.

Cheers,
Lee.
I thought Mark was referring to Randolph Lee. Or is Citroenian and Randolph one and the same?
*view Backroomer photos and ADD your own at:
Lee's Photo Pages. - M.M
MB,

Citroenian is Lee H who has been posting here since the early days.

Lee actually set up the Yahoo group photos page and previously we had to mail him the images to get them uploaded. He did ask that there was an image page set up on this site but when that proved a non-starter he made his own...so we have him to thank for it.

You will see Lee pictured in Chile (I think) on that site as well as others of his old Xantia etc.

MM
Lee's Photo Pages. - eMBe {P}
MM - thanks for the clarification. I have not been on this site that long to know the history. I saw the photos link page a few weeks back and wondered why it was not publicised more widely. I assumed the msn.groups site was Randolph Lee's as his photo is the 2nd on the people album. The photos could actually do with some more captions - pity that, but at least what we have is better than nothing.

*view Backroomer photos and ADD your own at: