Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - Solitas

Hi all,

The wife has decided that we need to upgrade from our current car (Honda Jazz) and get something that doesn't look like a box on wheels.

But in all seriousness, we just want something a little nicer driving wise, urban and motorway.

We generally do about 10k a year, mostly made up of work commutes (10miles one way) and motorway journeys (Birmingham->London). Pretty typical stuff.

The C-Class seems to be the leading candidate, I've also looked at the BMW 3 Series and Audi A4 as alternatives; as I want to try something other than Japanse (used to own an Accord as well). So basically, a small family saloon.

My budget will hold out for anything upto about 7.5k and has to be an Auto (dodgy ankle).

I'd appreciate any advice or alternatives as i'm not exactly savvy when it comes cars.

Thanks

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - Happy Blue!

There are so many options if you want a four door saloon, many more reliable than German cars.

Mazda 6

Volvo S60

Saab 9-3

Lexus IS250

You could even look for top of the range Mondeos and Insignias as they will be cheap to run but have loads more toys than any of the others for the same price. Remember that the insurance for your new car and RFL is likely to be much higher than the Jazz.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - Collos25

For your sort of budget you will be looking at a 7/8 year old Mercedes things to remember they are quite heavy on petrol (c180) the back seats unless a special order are fixed some of the so called leather is in fact synthetic and are very expensive to maintain if taken to Mercedes.Having said that once you have driven a three pointed star then other cars become second best spares are on a par with other makes, it depends what value you put on the driving enjoyment,I personally would go as stated above for a Mondeo or Insignia.

Instead of an A4 - a VW Passat. Same mechanicals, more room, lower price.

By the sound of it the OP wants a little bit of class a VW passat is the pits compared to the other cars that have been mentioned.

Thank you for the advice, it is must appreciated.

Luxury and driving enjoyment is pretty paramount. I've not really thought about Insignia's, Mondeo's or Passats, but i'd assume they wouldn't be as "comfortable" as some of the other cars mentioned here? Forgive me if i'm wrong.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - barney100

A 'C' class petrol for 10k a year would be my choice. The 180s give decent mpg and several people I know have them with little trouble. Maintainance costs can be kept down with a trusted indie. I'm on my 3rd Merceedes in 11 years, all bought used with highish mileages 2 C' class diesels and a 3.2 clk petrol. I can't say that any car is cheap to maintain having had all sorts over the years but Merecedes' have not been more expensive than my Volvo's or Fiats etc. Tempting fate only once have I been stranded in my three and that was my fault. Basic checks are for oil etc are easy, changing bulbs is a doddle too. You may take a while to get used to the handbrake being foot operated but I like it. Check the discs and pads before you part with cash. Mercedes have a very good owners club which offers great help on any issue.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - Ed V

Have you thought of a Volvo V50? They're smart lookers and you could get one with all the trimmings now for a good price - there's a 1.6 diesel and petrol.

"Which?" - among others no doubt, provides noise reports on cars under its 'refinement' heading if that's what you're after. Much noise though comes from wide or fat tyres, so stick to small and narrow if noise is a priority for 'quality.'

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - Avant

"Instead of an A4 - a VW Passat. Same mechanicals, more room, lower price."

Instead of a Passat - a Skoda Octavia - same mechanicals, similar room, even lower price. (Sorry Happy Blue - couldn't resist it!)

Seriously, this one depends on what your priorities are. The German marques give you a feeling of prestige of that's important to you: but your money gets you an older model than faster-depreciating cars like Fords, and they can go wrong expensively.

Avoid a diesel: a pity you don't want Japanese as a Mazda 6 petrol would tick your other boxes. So your best bet is probably either a Mondeo or Octavia, or if these feel too ordinary, a Volvo S60 or V50. Try to find a 1.8 or 2.0 petrol: a 1.6 in this size of car will be a bit gutless.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - jamie745

I can't help but notice whenever anybody considers buying a nice car, people on here tell them the car is rubbish and encourage them to buy a Skoda, Saab or some other such nonsense.

My mum has a 54 plate C240 with just over 80k on it and it's a very nice car. Just driving it shows you the difference between these cars and cars which cost half as much. Cars like Mercedes and Jaguar's in particular (can't vouch too much for BMW as my experience of them is limited) drive better, smoother, more comfortable and more cleverley.

The automatic gearbox is simply better than you'd find in some other car, the ride is superior and the build quality - even on 10 year old Mercs - is actually very good. It's a cut above. There's a reason people will pay twice as much for it than they would for a Skoda. They are not just overpriced rubbish relying on badge, like Saab owners will continue to insist.

I didn't say that, Jamie - just that if you buy a secondhand prestige model - admittedly a nice car - you will have to settle for an older car for your money. 'Rubbish' and 'nonsense' don't come into it - we try to give honest advice whch you are of course perfectly entitled to disagree with.

Well if you want a nice car with a prestige badge which is unlikely to go wrong, invariably you have to pay for it. That much I admit. It is more money than lesser makes of course and I understand the relatively little extra you get for quite a bit more money just doesn't make sense to a lot of people.

If someone is looking for a big four door car which is relatively new, good value for money and perfectly decent then a late 2000s Vauxhall Vectra will work for them absolutely fine. If that's what someone wants it'd be hard to sell them a BMW 525 of the same age because it'd be a good few grand more - and even for that you're looking at more miles.

I liken the scale of car prices to someone putting wallpaper paste in one end of the swimming pool. At one end you can get miles with little effort, but at the other end it takes much more energy to progress just a few inches.

I agree entirely Jamie how on earth can you compare a Skoda with a Mercedes or Jaguar.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - lordwoody

"The automatic gearbox is simply better than you'd find in some other car, the ride is superior and the build quality - even on 10 year old Mercs - is actually very good."

I've seen more rusty older Mercedes than just about any other make, can't say how you can possibly say the build quality is good. I saw an 05 plate yeserday that was going rusty. I've just sold my 19 year old Volvo, had no rust at all.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - Howard Bailey

Try 2003-04 Mustang GT or Mazda 3 with same year as well within your range. Honda civic is also good option.

Subaru Legacy is better than anything mentioned previously in terms of quality build and reliability and also rarity.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - david22

I am coming towards the last few months of my second Mercedes C class 220 cdi and can strongly recommend it. Comfortable, reliable and just well put together. The switches, switch and don't come off in your hand, for example. I have done a total of about 135000 miles in total on both cars, with no significant mechanical failures and none that actually stopped me driving the car.

Problems, well fuel consumption is disappointing, I'm averaging 37.8 on the current model. Not great for a diesel and I am very light footed. Spares servicing and repairs are costly, so find a good Mercedes independent service centre. I use Protec near Newbury.

A question for myself, I am going to change the car soon and the new post 2013 C class is much bigger , too big for me. Any suggestions for a good reliable, cheap to run, mid size estate car? I am leaning towards a Skoda Octavia 1.2 or 1.4 petrol model. Any thoughts or other ideas?

My very first post incidentally.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - daveyK_UK

New Honda civic estate.

If you want a petrol, it comes with a fantastic 1.8, its suprisingly good on the fuel.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Looking to buy C-Class or alternative - kerbed enthusiasm

I know Japanese cars have been ruled out, but a Lexus would give Merc quality in addition to good reliability. As a left field choice it might also be worth looking at a Prius which, in the correct spec, are very well appointed and super reliable.

Edited by kerbed enthusiasm on 08/03/2014 at 09:23

If it were upto me, I'd get an Accord again! I don't need a "big" family car, just need something that can manage 5 adults. Estates are out of the question, the wife would never drive it :/

Drove a prius before, wasn't a fan.

But like I said before, it's all about luxurious, smooth rude. What about the other two I mentioned? The 3 series and A4?

Edited by Solitas on 08/03/2014 at 14:13

I've seen more rusty older Mercedes than just about any other make, can't say how you can possibly say the build quality is good.

90s and early 00s Mercedes did have a problem with rust I'll grant you, especially on the rear arches. If it was silver then it was an absolute killer, but it was still preventable but most owners didn't bother with all the paint treatments.

But like I said before, it's all about luxurious, smooth rude. What about the other two I mentioned? The 3 series and A4?

Nice cars, I do like both of them. If it was me I'd probably go for an A4. That is a very well built car, you still see very nice ones on the road and get surprised to discover it's a V reg or something.

There's so many 3 series' about you should be able to find a decent deal on a good one. For luxury and a good ride you'll want something like a 325 with the leather interior in SE spec, none of those 20 inch wheels and M-Sport nonsense.

Welcome to the forum, David. That's very poor for a diesel: you'll find that even the VAG petrols can do better than that, even the 2.0 GTI engine in mine.

A few years ago I had a Mercedes B200 CDI whuich averaged 39 mpg, so you're not the only one.