Honda CR-V - Flat spots on rear tyre and judder while driving - wolfetone

Hello everyone,

I inherited a 2004 Honda CR-V from my Dad, and in the two years he had it he didn't drive it that much but he didn't look after it either. It's a lovely car inside and I decided to drive it to replace my own Peugeot 107.

However, there is one thing that always nagged me about the Honda when my Dad had it and that was when you would do a full lock to either the right or left at slow speeds and the car would (quite violently) judder until you straightened it up. At the time we both thought it was a standard feature or it was the tyres rubbing. It turns out it's a common fault with the rear diff and requires a "burnish" and fluid change every 20,000 miles.

I've bought the fluid and I am going to get this sorted by a friend who has a ramp. During the week though I had all four tyres changed and the rear left hand tyre had a lot of wear on the inside shoulder of the tyre. Along with this, it had several flat spots on the inside of the tyre. The guy who fitted the tyres and did the tracking didn't know what would cause it, but the tracking was well off - this has now been fixed.

The new tyres have transformed the ride of the car, it's so much nicer to drive. My problem now is that I think the car feels quite juddery while at high speed. I'm not sure if it's the road I'm on as it's one I use to go to work on every day, but I'm sure I never felt it before. It's as if something slows the car down for a split second, as if I'm driving through a puddle - it's that type of feeling.

I'm concerned that because the rear diff oil has never been changed while we've had it and I doubt it was changed when the car was bought in to the family, whether the diff has been extremely damaged by it. Has anyone experienced this issue before? I am getting the car done on Saturday morning, and I would guess that once it's on the ramp I could probably see if the rear diff is locking up?

Honda CR-V - Flat spots on rear tyre and judder while driving - oldroverboy.

Shock absorbers?

Honda CR-V - Flat spots on rear tyre and judder while driving - gordonbennet

My sons well cared for CRV had the judders, both front drive shafts worn diagnosed at Honda at a price you don't want to know.

He found rebuilt exchange units at about 1/4 the price of the Honda jobbies and we fitted them fairly easily one sunny morn.

These are fairly regular items at the 100k mark from what i've been told, hardly any wear that i could find when i checked them, but we changed them anyway, and sure enough it cured the problem.

You could try repacking all 4 front CV couplings with the correct grease anyway, an hour tops should see that done, i've had good results doing this many times, if the situation changes or improves it might help eliminate or confirm that as a cause for a £fivers worth of grease and an hours labour.

We also changed the gerabox oil whilst down and dirty, that made the gearchange much nicer too.