Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - gavuk

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a cheap 'executive' type car and have seen some low prices coming up for these cars lately.

I think my choice is the Jaguar xj6 (x300) but I'm a bit worried about rust, and fuel consumption - I'm reading conflicting reports about just how thirsty these cats are!

I'm also considering the - wait for it - Hyundai xg30. Whilst it doesn't have the looks of the other marques (though I like the back end) it does, on paper at least, tick the boxes with regards to running costs and equipment levels.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks a lot!

Gavin

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - Avant

Difficult to give advice as we don;t know what your budget is.

One of of our regular members (Jamie) has a 2006 Jaguar S-type which has served him well. Jaguars are very vulnerable to neglect or abuse by previous owners, so be very careful.

The big Japanese / Korean cars (Toyota Crown, Honda Legend, Nissan Maxima, Mazda Xedos 9 as well as the Hyundai you mention) depreciate savagely but had a good name for reliability. If you can find one, it may be less of a gamble.

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - gordonbennet

I was watching a 2007ish Hyundai Grandeur being sold recently, around the £2400 mark, absolutely marvellous vehicle for that sort of money, assuming you can stand the VED.

Fuel isn't what kills these vehicles, no one would sensibly expect anything above 22mpg driven normally and down to single figures if you give it some welly or drive in the city, the problem with them is that they were £50k vehicles new, and parts and complications of repair reflect that.

If you can DIY general stuff then something along the lines of an XG30 could be a decent buy, though i'd be looking at a Lexus LS400 or Honda Legend instead.

Unless you have deep pockets best to buy what you can afford to lose, a major failure of engine or box or ECU could well scrap the vehicle months after purchase, not cheap to maintain well so will often be neglected once out of first owners hands.

A cambelt change can be knocking on the door of £1000 for some by the time a full kit has been fitted.

Look around carefully you might find an LPG converted example, which brings the cost of fuelling down to Mondeo money but without the awful ride and tractor engine.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/03/2014 at 20:27

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - daveyK_UK

XG30 is a excellent cruiser.

Make sure the belts have been changed.

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - Collos25

The road tax in the UK costs more than the car is worth its the death of many good cars,

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - 72 dudes

The road tax in the UK costs more than the car is worth its the death of many good cars,

But not if it was registered before 23/03/2006 - max VED is currently £280 regardless of CO2 levels.

Like I said the tax is worth ore than the car is worth.

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - jamie745

One of of our regular members (Jamie) has a 2006 Jaguar S-type which has served him well. Jaguars are very vulnerable to neglect or abuse by previous owners, so be very careful.

When I bought it the Sat Nav thought it was parked on the M1 all the time. Aside from that and the module running the rear lights blowing up it's been absolutely fine - and I think even that was fiddled with by an unqualified ape once upon a time.

Problem with the XG30 is you never see any. You may say 'exclusive' but no cheap Korean car is exclusive. The problem with those kind of cars is it can cost a few quid to put right if it does go wrong, simply because there's so few of them about. Even with something as 'prestige' as a Mercedes C-Class you can get practically every part of it on Ebay, but with an XG30 you may be buying brand new bits. It's not so bad with marques under GM because many bits are interchangable, so you'll find Vauxhall parts fitting Daewoo with little trouble.

Edited by jamie745 on 04/03/2014 at 16:51

They are pretty exclusive though only 1 for sale on Autotrader nationwide,I agree with Jamie I drove one new it was horrible compared with everything else on the market.

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - Bobbin Threadbare

How about the souped-up Saab? How 'cheap' is cheap anyway?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20140227210...p

I bet this would be a lovely cruiser and it has certainly got some welly. Parts are accessible, and I think it looks good.

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - madf

I drove a 1982 Jaguar XjJ 6 for a year. I DIY'd it - it had been resprayed and well looked after.

I averaged 20mpg on long runs but towing a big caravan it averaged 17mpg..

Insurance cost a fortune. And repairs were NOT cheap despite DIY - the engine iirc took 7 liters of oil...

I could afford it at the time and only did 5,000 miles. BUT irt was so big it was a pia to park anywhere. It took up a lot of room in the garage. And it was heavy.. like nearly 2 tonnes. Cheap jacks and axle stands don't last long.

If you cannot DIY and are not mechanically and electrically competent - you need help to buy a good one.

And if you have to get someone else to repair and service it, you will expect bills of £1,500 for servicing and brakes and tyres and exhausts - every year. That is Before any repairs.

Most third hand owners have never had to pay for a car like that and even a bad one is better sounding than a good small car - so buying a dud is easy..

I sold mine - working perfectly with a struggle and vowed never again..

If you must buy a big used car, A Lexus with FSH can be yours for £2500.. Avoid Jaguar, Land Rover, BMW and Mercedes.. they are money pits. As is a bad Lexus.

Personally I'd buy a Citroen C6 - far more exclusive and interesting.. and a diesle will do 27mpg.

The running costs on any large car? Budget £2,000 ** a year excluding fuel. and hope for no big bills.. **That is usually what they cost to buy....

Edited by madf on 04/03/2014 at 19:17

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - corax

I sold mine - working perfectly with a struggle and vowed never again..

Personally I'd buy a Citroen C6 - far more exclusive and interesting.. and a diesle will do 27mpg.

Still, you must have had some enjoyment out of your Jag madf.

The Citroen will relieve you of over £400 a year VED.

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - gordonbennet
The Citroen will relieve you of over £400 a year VED.

I assumed that Corax, then spotted one for sale recently on a 10 plate with the 2.2 Diesel, full auto all the toys @ £280 or so VED, so if you want to live dangerously you could..;)

I was tempted for about 10 seconds, till i remembered not only has it got an electric parking brake (not as long as i live), but shedloads of other gubbins too, someone was trying to sell one recently showing 150 odd fault codes, i'd love one as a company car but wouldn't dare buy one.

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - corax
i'd love one as a company car but wouldn't dare buy one.

The idea of wafting around in something that soaks up the road surface in a stylish manner appeals hugely, but I wouldn't want the risk.

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - Ed V

Toucing wood, my 2008 2.7 C5 has been no trouble, and the electronic and automatic handbrake's a breeze.

Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai - Jag/Merc/Hyundai?!?! - galileo

Like I said the tax is worth ore than the car is worth.

They used to say you doubled the value of a Skoda by filling up with petrol. Not a common saying now.