Renalt cabriolet 2005 - Ludicrous renault part prices - tony g
Used car dealers are often pilloried on HJ for selling dodgy overpriced and faulty used cars .

What doesn't appear very often on HJ are the overpriced parts costs by main dealers .

I've just called into a local main agent to buy a replacement gear knob and a steel cable that allows the seat back to move forward to allow access to the rear .The cable is similar to a bicycle brake cable .

The gear knob was £75 ,and the cable £45 ,unbelievable ,so it's down to the local scrap yard for me .Probable cost £5 each and a bit of time spent scrabbling around a dirty old car .

How do renault and perhaps other manufacturers justify prices like these ?
Renalt cabriolet 2005 - Ludicrous renault part prices - Wackyracer

I've repaired alot of car cables using bicycle inner cable and brazed on the ends. Especially on cars where you can only get the cables if you buy the window electric motor.

Renalt cabriolet 2005 - Ludicrous renault part prices - elekie&a/c doctor

So how about £200 for a pair of rear only mudflaps for a Toyota Hilux pick up truck!!

(So how about £200 for a pair of rear only mudflaps for a Toyota Hilux pick up truck!! )

Not to expensive if they were gold plated !

In the past I've made my own by cutting shaping and bolting into place , a pair cut from an old rubber car floor mat .They cost nothing apart from time ,and normally lasted a couple of years .

Edited by tony g on 27/02/2014 at 18:49

Renalt cabriolet 2005 - Ludicrous renault part prices - oldroverboy.

Memories of reapairing many cars BL/Jag/RR Land rover products with alternate parts and various bits from the non mororing world. we had an agricultural supplier of hydraulic pipes of better quality and cheaper for range rovers 80s to 90s, And it was a franchised main dealer too!

I am sure that others here will have more memories the same, and for current cars.

Renalt cabriolet 2005 - Ludicrous renault part prices - daveyK_UK

You think Renault is bad, you want to check out the Hyundai/Kia part list prices.

I heard Dacia's prices are reasonable, just a shame they have nothing in stock due to the demand for their vehicles.

3 month wait for a Sandero bumper!

You can't really blame Dacia, the demand for the cars is not letting up.

Renalt cabriolet 2005 - Ludicrous renault part prices - madf

You think Renault is bad, you want to check out the Hyundai/Kia part list prices.

I heard Dacia's prices are reasonable, just a shame they have nothing in stock due to the demand for their vehicles.

3 month wait for a Sandero bumper!

You can't really blame Dacia, the demand for the cars is not letting up.

Yes you can. It's called screwing your customers.

Renalt cabriolet 2005 - Ludicrous renault part prices - barney100

Not just car parts, so many products have high prices for parts, mobile phones where you can't change the battery yourself for one. A couple of injectors for a Volvo wre an eye watering price.

(The gear knob was £75 ,and the cable £45 ,unbelievable ,so it's down to the local scrap yard for me .Probable cost £5 each and a bit of time spent scrabbling around a dirty old car . )

With regard to my earlier post , I really couldn't pay £45 for the renault seat cable ,so I went to halfords and bought a standard wire bicycle brake cable .

I used a power file to grind away the drum on end of the cable until it fitted ,

On the other end I fitted a banjo type electrical connection and used that to stop the cable pulling through the original sheath ,bingo it works fine !

Total cost £2.99 for the halfords cable and about an hour to modify and fit .

Isn't that how we always used to repair cars ?

Renalt cabriolet 2005 - Ludicrous renault part prices - bathtub tom

I couldn't pay that much for a cable:

www.wilko.com/bike-accessories/wilko-universal-bra...e

;>)