NEVS 9-3 is up for testing! - Saab - Trilogy

Taken from Saabsunited website

NEVS 9-3 is up for testing!

February 27, 2014 in Fan Stuff, NEVS

<*** class=" wp-image-53205 alignright" src="http://www.saabsunited.com/wp-content/uploads/FH-355-820x546.jpg" alt="FH-355" width="410" height="273" />This week three Swedish car-magazines has visited Trollhätttan for a test-drive of the 2014 9-3 Aero. As we all already know it’s basically a 2012 9-3 Griffin Aero with the two-litre Turbo4 220hp petrol-engine, but with some changes by NEVS. All the three magazines had put a little sneak peek from the test-drive on their websites, and I will here sum up the most important from the sneak peeks.

First out was the magazine “Vi Bilägare“, one of Sweden’s biggest car-magazine. Their tester Calle Carlquist drove a car with the automatic transmission, and he thinks the driving experience is completely modern and he also think NEVS has succeed with their idea that the car should feel sporty but still be comfortable. So he has a positive first impression and think it’s a good car that don’t feel ready for retirement, but the drawback is that it’s missing some of the latest techology.

Next up is “Teknikens Värld“, maybe most known for their “moose test”. I don’t know if they set the 9-3 up for a moose test, but their testers Hans Hedberg and Glenn Lindberg think it’s noticeable that the 2014 9-3 is older than the competitors, but it’s cope pretty well anyway. The chassis is comfortable and resilient, but not “Aero-resilient”, and the 220hp engine is pleasant to drive as always (Täknikens Värld tested a car with manual transmission). They also think the long-distance comfort feels as good as in the old seats, and a tip from them if you don’t want to wait for the new infotainment-system from NEVS you can simply change the headunit to a more fancy aftermarked headunit at your nearest SAAB-garage.

Left is “Auto Motor & Sport“, a magazine well known over all Europe. They sent Thomas Berggren and Pär Brandt, and they think “it feels very much SAAB”. As Teknikens Värld they think the chassis is convenient and comfortable rather sporty. It don’t feels bumpy, it eats bumps in the road very nice and the the chassis will get a high score. It’s is great for Swedish roads! The engine is strong at low revs and have a nice torque, but it’s not the most fuel-efficient car on the market. AMS think the car have a old infotainment system, and it’s missing the latest safety systems as brake-assist, sleep-warning, lane-warning and so on.

So if we sum up what the Swedish car-magazines think about the 2014 9-3;
The 9-3 still have a great chassis and a very nice engine. The stuff that is not so good is the lack of a better infotainment (rumors says a new one is on it’s way), and the fact it’s not a new car so it’s missing some of the latest safety systems.

If you want to read the original articles and see a few images, click on the links under. (sorry, Swedish text only)

NEVS 9-3 is up for testing! - Saab - daveyK_UK

Are Saab coming back to the UK?

Edited by daveyK_UK on 27/02/2014 at 20:08

NEVS 9-3 is up for testing! - Saab - Cyd

I certainly hope so! I'd like to think I can replace my current 2007 9-3 Aero with a newer one when I've finished with it in a decade or so.

It would be interesting to know what they've done to the chassis. Thanks to broken springs at the front of mine, I fitted a set of Maptun lowering springs a fortnight ago. The car is much improved. The secondary ride 'jiggle' has gone and it corners much flatter. It is a little stiffer, but is still comfortable and handles the tricky tarmac round our way (rural SW Leicestershire) with aplomb. Mines also got a Maptun tune, but it is a very capable car.

As for lane change warnings and EBA - frankly that doesn't bother me.

As for economy - it's an Aero FFS!! Hoof it about and it'll burn fuel. Hardly rocket science. Driven moderately mine will return 38 - 42 on the motorway.