Automatic to manual Can it be done - jamie2012

Hi All

Long story short needed to drive asap so went for auto short course about 1.5 years ago.
but now looking to upgrade car but would have so much more options with a manual as well as save a bit on fuel also I have been asked to drive the work car and haven't been able to, So I want to learn to drive a manual car has anyone on here done this before gone from automatic to manual not the other way around? if so any advice/tips ?

Thanks

p.s anyone considering automatic I strongly recommend against it. take your time learn manual as then you have the option of both for the future and if you haven't got a big budget auto cars are limited and hard to find.(I learnt the hard way)

Automatic to manual Can it be done - scot22

You are right that it is better to learn in a manual car and then you have the option. An advantage for you now is that you are familiar ( and have passed the test )with the elements of driving with the exception of using a manual gearbox. I suggest you avoid a six gear manual, just adds more choices. If you are a confident and competent driver now I don't expect you will find it too difficult. I do recommend lessons from a school. Also consider joining the Institute of Advanced Motorists. Its aim is improving standards and is not an out of reach organisation requiring exceptional experience and skill. The Police Roadcraft dvd includes use of gear stick.

Edited by scot22 on 26/02/2014 at 20:33

Automatic to manual Can it be done - RT

A "good" driving instructor should be able to convert you in a short time - ask around locally.