S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - Lecop

Drove car and parked up overnight. next morning opened car, radio works and lights etc but when key inserted and I try to start engine all I get is an audible warning and 'Enginge Malfunction' alert on the dash; engine does not turn over or even try to, dead.

Help!

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - Peter D
First port of call has to be the battery. If you put the headlights on are they nice and bright. Regards Peter
S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - Lecop

Thanks for the reply. Battery is fine all lights, radio etc work and battery kicking out just over 12v when checked with multimeter. Immobiliser was a thought, tried spare key but no joy. Jumped the starting motor and the car turns over which again pits my mind back to the imobiliser/key coding etc. But the key unlocks the car fine and as stated all electrica work in the cab, lights wipers etc but nothing at all on the turn of the key, jut a warning of a engine malfunction.

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - elekie&a/c doctor

I think my next step would be to check the fuses in the engine bay fusebox.Doubt it is an immobiliser fault.You could try a battery disconnect for 5 mins ,just in case the system has locked up.hth

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - Anette

Did you find a solutions at this problem? I am having the same problem with My c-max

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - skidpan

Battery is fine all lights, radio etc work and battery kicking out just over 12v when checked with multimeter.

A car battery that is only showing just over 12 volts is dead. You need at least 12.6 volts to start car. It might put the lights on but that is irrelevant.

FYI even though car batteries are referred to as 12 volts its not the true figure. They are made up of 6 cells each with 2.1 volts.

The battery is New. So that is not the problems. I have the same problems that the engine will not turn over. Totalt the same problem as There Are described in top of This page.

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - Cris_on_the_gas

Check the battery voltage while trying to crank the engine. Anything less than 10V on load and the battery's useless

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - Railroad.
A battery is in a discharged state if it's less than 12.2v. It is completely discharged if it measures under 12v. A healthy battery will measure 12.6v when cold and with any surface charge removed. You need a new battery.

The batteri is totalt New....it didnt help

IT is not even trying to start...nothing happens When i turn the key. It says engine system fault

Edited by Anette on 10/02/2016 at 15:59

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - Cyd

The battery is New. So that is not the problems

You cannot make that assumption. Have you tested the battery voltage, both open circuit and under load?

Yes i have done that

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - elekie&a/c doctor

Do the electric windows work?

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - Railroad.
The engine controller may disable many functions, including starting if the battery voltage is below a minimum. The battery needs to be healthy and charged otherwise it won't start.

I can't release the handbrake eather. And yes they work. I have testet All the fuses to. We can't communicate with the engine unit....

Edited by Anette on 10/02/2016 at 19:44

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - hardway

Comunications might be the fault.

these can if the "can bus" comunication is interupted dissable the starting system.

Simplest test is to see if a good scanner can comunicat with ALL MODULES.

That means can the scanner acces the Engine ECU the ABS ecu etc,

all the modules,

and there's a few fitted to these.

Even the dash and windows and lights/wipers have computer modules.

So if a scanner can't establish "coms" with ALL modules then it won't permit the key crank function.

If I'm right then it will bump start down a hill or the starter control relay in the relay box on the n/s inner wing can be accesed and powered up with a jump link wire and it will start.

And if I'm right then one off the modules or multi plugs connected to them has a fault.

As to which one?

It can't enter the engine ecu. But All other. It gives the flash code 16. And it is not the key, we have tried 2 keys without Luck. Can a defect instrument cluster refusion the car to start? And still give us the fault code "engine system fault".

Edited by Anette on 11/02/2016 at 20:05

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - hardway

Well yes a faulty dash cluster module won't comunicate with the system.

And as for this flash code?

No a proper dedicated scanner must be used.

Then set for "Global scan",

This protocal will then scan for all modules fitted and their function/fault codes.

I had a Focus in for this exact same set of symptoms.

New starter and battery had been fitted previously.

And no coms with any of my diagnostic units.

Thing is the key doesn't actually engage the starter motor.

When you turn it to crank it runs a system test and if this checks then and only then does the ECU send a signal to the starter relay in the inner wing box which then sends V to the starter solenoid.

And there's a whole lot more Ford "Smart" crud going on as well.

Now I'm not saying yours is the same fault as the Focus but the test is simple,

A proper diagnostic scanner that will run a "Global scan",

You should get this scan done or keep chasing you tail.

f the scan reveals all coms active and can comunicate with all modules then I'm wrong.

If the scan comes up "NO COMS"....................

You have the same fault as described.

S Max 2.0 TDCi - Engine Malfunction will not turn over - Dead - Ian D
I would join the Smax owners club .com, buy a modified ELM327 diagnostic tool from them, download the required software (Forscan) and you will have a much better facility than a basic fault code reader.