Citroen DS5 - Ds5 2.0 HDI 6sp manual reliability ??? - GHSAUNDERS40
Hi all,

I know the DS5 is not particularly highly thought of by the motoring press, but I'm really interested in one. Due to its quirky looks and personally I liked the way it drove. I'm probably looking about 18 months old from a dealer.

My question is how reliable is the car likely to be over say 3 years and 100k? I know PSA have made strides in this area in recent years, but does anyone know much about the DS5? I understand the 2.0 HDI when looked after is pretty robust. I've searched the net but can only find a group of owners frustrated with their hybrid cars MPG.

Thanks.
Citroen DS5 - Ds5 2.0 HDI 6sp manual reliability ??? - Collos25

They are a bit new to have any opinions about them in the reliability stakes but the HDi engine is used by many car manufacturers and has proved to be very reliable you often see HDi engined cars with over 200k on the clock ,a DS5 is a bit if not a lot overpriced Citroens idea of going upmarket thats why you probably do not see many of them you could get an almost new C5 estate for the money you are willing to spend.

Citroen DS5 - Ds5 2.0 HDI 6sp manual reliability ??? - SteveLee

Like most modern cars - you'd be unlucky to suffer an actual breakdown. The engine is very good in this guise, transmissions are pretty robust. You may suffer from various electrical niggles - my last two Citroëns were pretty much fault free apart from a badly sealed ignition coil (replaced in 5 mins for £25) and generally modern Citroëns don't rust.

Be aware the DS5 doen't ride like a Citroën - they are appalingly (German like) hard - but people have been brainwashed into thinking having their spine smashed through their skull is "sporty" - go figure as the Yanks say...

Citroen DS5 - Ds5 2.0 HDI 6sp manual reliability ??? - drd63
Oh change the record please. There is more to comfort than being softly sprung! I remember Citroens of old as being bouncy poor handling things, that 'magic carpet ride' wasn't doing much to help sales so why wouldn't citroen start making cars more in line with modern tastes. The ride is firm but the seats isolate you from this, the overall interior comfort is really good as is grip and handling. My DStyle is on 18" wheels with the optional leather and electric seats.
I've now done 25k in under a year, everything still works and feels like it will continue to do so, maybe not in the built to last forever league of Honda's Japanese built models but you're getting a whole lot more style, individuality and especially on the interior beautiful design detail, especially at night. As those with an open mind say - go test drive.

Not many cars handled in the old days, the XM and C6 handle well and yet are softly sprung- ditto Peugeot 405, 406, the vast majority of Jags are softly sprung and handle well. Drive a Lotus if you want to see how suspension should be set up - soft and comfortable and yet will run rings round rock-hard Germans. As I said, the hard suspension thing is fashion, copying the Germans who make cars for their decent roads. What about the hard riding cars that are handling death-traps such as early Audi TTs? Ride and handling are not the same thing, but increasing spring rates is a way of disguising poor handing or cheap dampers - you're just increasing the speed at which the handling deficiency will become apparent - which is rather dangerous IMHO.

Can't comment on handling of most of those mentioned not having personal experience, however while I remember press comment of 405 handling being favourable I can't recall the same being said of XM or C6. My brother had an Elise and yes ride/ handling was lovely, have been driving sons current Fiesta this weekend which is beautifully set up and if the DS were as well resolved it would be perfect. However if push comes to shove I'd rather have current DS5, or German set up than soft and bouncy frenchies of old.

And I'd rather have an unsmashed spine! Horses for courses I guess.

Citroen DS5 - Ds5 2.0 HDI 6sp manual reliability ??? - gordonbennet

Not being liked by the motoring press does give the car massive attraction, we don't all need to be told what we should and shouldn't like.

I detest hard sprung cars, find them to 'hop' around over our Northants third world roads, so it wouldn't be a car for me, but if you like it then i have no reason to think it would be any more prone to trouble than any other mass produced car, what the dealer/maker goodwill back up in the event of trouble would be like is another question, as good as most other popular makes i suspect.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/02/2014 at 09:27

Citroen DS5 - Ds5 2.0 HDI 6sp manual reliability ??? - GHSAUNDERS40
Thank you for your replies. I had looked at the C5 and Peugoet 508. But there is something I really like about the DS5.

I test drove a 2.0 HDI auto at the weekend. I loved the car, well sprung, not too hard. It still drove well in the corners and an excellent cruiser. I was not too keen on the auto box. I found it not particularly smooth and in some circumstances slow to react.

I would prefer the auto, so I'm looking for another to try and if it is the same I will go for the 6 speed manual.

Thanks for your comments about reliability. I'm very sceptical about reliability over all makes. I had a Fiat Grande Punto from new that after the first year was in the local dealer with various problem on average once per month until I could afford to get shot at 3 years old. To be honest, I have been very wary since. The DS5 I drove felt extremely well put together and after 2 years and 30k had no rattles, bangs or squeeks.
Citroen DS5 - Ds5 2.0 HDI 6sp manual reliability ??? - gordonbennet

Woah.

I didn't realise you were looking at an auto, presumably this is one of satans automated manuals?

If so then that is one thing i would avoid at all costs, even Toyota are dropping this horrid burnt chip as fast as they can, yes even theirs fail miserably and if Mr T can't get it right what hope anyone else.

Woah.

I didn't realise you were looking at an auto, presumably this is one of satans automated manuals?

If so then that is one thing i would avoid at all costs, even Toyota are dropping this horrid burnt chip as fast as they can, yes even theirs fail miserably and if Mr T can't get it right what hope anyone else.

I believe the standard 2.0 HDi is a traditional 6 speed torque converter auto. The gearbox programming has always been a PSA weakpoint, gearboxes that are perfectly smooth in other cars can be a little witless in PSA cars. The whole team responsible should be sacked - I've noticed this little trait for over 10 years. That said adaptive gearbox programming can get confused when a car is driven by a multitude of different drivers.

If the DS5 had oleopneumatic suspension I would have bought one like a shot. Good looking car with a nice interior IMHO.

Citroen DS5 - Ds5 2.0 HDI 6sp manual reliability ??? - jandnrowe
Well so far my Hybrid's behaved flawlessly. I can't speak for the other models. It does encourage a relaxed driving style but it's a large car anyway. I don't get the 70mpg but never expected it in the real world conditions. It has plenty of torque and flies on the motorway. 200bhp and £20 road tax. It also costs less to insure than my previous Pug 207!?!
Citroen DS5 - Ds5 2.0 HDI 6sp manual reliability ??? - RicardoB

Indeed. The DS5 looks like a Citroen should. Refreshingly slightly quirky and different - a bit of individuality on a motorway of blandness.

I've not been in one but have also read about unexpectedly firm ride - a real shame - bring on the proper Citroen suspension! I remember we had a couple of Xantias in our family 20 years ago. That was pretty much the last "true Citroen sprit" prior to the latest C5 and DS5. They were comfy but not "floaty" or "squishy". Loved how you could show off the suspension by moving a leaver to lower or raise the car. Simple innocent fun.

And as someone else said, I think the automatics used in 2.0 diesels are proper real torque convertor set ups. Cars in the group with the 1.6 diesel have the excrutiatingly awful automated manual. Non non non!

Hi OP, quick reliability update on my DS5. Now coming up for 2 years and 53,000 miles. All still works as it should and still one of the more distinctive cars around in a good way. Interior still looking fresh - I have the style but opted for leather seats which front and back are very comfortable and leather is excellent quality. One intermittent squeak which comes and goes but not noiticable with the radio on and some creaks when cold. Overall very happy.
Citroen DS5 - Ds5 2.0 HDI 6sp manual reliability ??? - jandnrowe
The ride issue seems to be the only thing the press are negative about. Although I noticed one publication could not get it's average score correct and still has it on it's website. So much for fair reviews.
All I would say is take one for a test run on roads that you know and you may be surprised...
My Hybrid on 18" wheels is perfectly fine - bumpy on uneven roads? What car is not?
Incidently I was a passenger in a new VW Passat and Toyota Avensis on roads I use daily and guess what? Much firmer ride than my DS.
Seriously take a test ride and don't be hood-winked into believing what some press regard as a driving trait. I hired a C5 in France and did over 3000 on mixed roads. Great on motorways - like the DS5 but on country / town roads my passengers felt car sick. Okay so set the car for a stiffer suspension so totally defeated the object of suspension design imho.
The original post referred to the gear box. The manual should be fine for many years assuming the usual maintenance is done. The Hybrid has an auto box and so far is reliable. It's my first auto and took a while getting used to along with the flappy paddles to manually change.
As I said earlier get a test drive and depending on the dealer you may even get a 24hr loan like I did to really try it out.