Jeep Grand Cherokee - what 4x4 £11k - siell

Hi, my 2005 Grand Cherokee needs replacing (age, oil leak, needs work). The problem is others seem too pricey, too small, or lacking in extras/comfort (satnav, leather etc). It seems the Jeep is in a price bracket of its own.

I need for about £11k:
- a big boot for kit, UK holidays
- comfort/extras for long hours re work travel
- reliability/not too high maintenace costs (like everyone). Once value of car under £6k found independants didnt want to know the Jeep
- 15k miles a year (no real off-road driving), so expecting between 45-60k miles of use
- i am not worried about depreciation as like the jeep i will use it for 3.5 years and then bin it in an auction
- i am not worried about fuel. WORK PAYS FOR FUEL!!!! This is an important consideration

Any top 3's that spring to mind

Jeep Grand Cherokee - what 4x4 £11k - RT

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006-2009 with the 2.7 V6 as your fuel is free.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - what 4x4 £11k - gordonbennet

Petrol again, Landcruiser with the 4.0V6.

Remember , if you haven't already, these vehicles regd after March 06 will be nudging £500 VED, if thats a problem you'll have to go Diesel and even then some still go into the highest band.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - what 4x4 £11k - Happy Blue!

If you want space, performance and presumably a slightly higher ride height why not not look at the Ford S-max with the Volvo 2.5T engine (manual only). That must be a really good Q-car.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - what 4x4 £11k - bananastand

James Ruppert of bangernomics and Autocar fame is a very approachable chap. During one conversation I had with him he said he'd bought a petrol Shogun,which has a severe drink problem, but for the amount of car you get the purchase price was amazingly low. Put simply, nobody wants them.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - what 4x4 £11k - gordonbennet

Thats where LPG conversions come into their own, unfortunately they scuppered that with the now nudging £500 VED stinger for those vehicles regd from Mar 06, we're already seeing 05/55 plate high CO2 models worth considerably more and easier to sell than an otherwise identical 07 plater, those prices can only diverge ever further.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - what 4x4 £11k - SteveLee

You should be able to get an 18 month old Chevrolet Captiva for that - perhaps with change - a good looking well equiped car - perhaps the interiors are a little scratchy - but at the price they are hard to beat. As Vauxhall Anteras are the same car rebadged - getting spares and servicing will not be a problem (Chevrolet are pulling out of Europe).

There was a batch of brand-new base model 2WD Captivas going for £12K (nearly half list price) - look out for bargains from dealers trying to unload their stock before Chevrolet pull the plug.