x-trail diesel vs crv - KW

After a rethink - I'd previously thought an estate would meet the family needs, I'm now looking at the x-trail (diesel seems to be best) and crv (no diesel available) and would appreciate comments, owners experiences or any good/bad news.
many thanks
kw
x-trail diesel vs crv - mal
Have you clicked on "car by car breakdown" on the left underneath the portrait of Honest John?.
x-trail diesel vs crv - KB.
Diesel engine is to be produced for the CRV but not till 2004. Why does it take so long? Rav 4 has it. X Trail has it. Almost all of the others have it (except Mits. Pinin).

CRV is one of only two to produce a vehicle with a little folding table between front seats for you to put your tea and sandwiches on. (Multipla has a folding middle seat which doubles as a table). Sounds ridiculous I know, but there's been loads of occasions when on holiday that we've fancied a snack in a layby or on a hilltop overlooking one of the 'Lakes' and finished up tipping it all over my lap.

X Trail might be better off road but the interior of the CRV looks and feels much classier than the 'gaudy' looking pale plastics and silver dash ornamentation on the Nissan. Why make the interior so light coloured and cheap looking (like something from a 1970 Datsun Violet). CRV not quite so long. Nissan has hidden the spare wheel away which for me is a plus. CRV looks neater at each end - X Trail rear bumper looks bitty and cluttered.

Choices, choices.......what did you think of the Rav4? - that's got a decent diesel engine in it.
KB.
x-trail diesel vs crv - Old Bill
Have you considered a post 1999 Frontera(previous versions are known for their unreliability)? To me they look great and have diesel engines), the Rav4 has good had great reviews but also also known as a "hairdresser's car.

Old Bil

x-trail diesel vs crv - Mark (RLBS)
>>the Rav4 has good had great reviews but also known as a "hairdresser's car.

You got anything to say about that, Martyn (BRMB) ?
x-trail diesel vs crv - Martyn [(ex) BR moderator]
Mark wrote:
>>the Rav4 has good had great reviews but also known as
a "hairdresser's car.
You got anything to say about that, Martyn (BRMB) ?

Only to say that the last time I had you in the chair, dear, you were getting noticeably thin on top .

Martyn [Back Room moderator]
====================
mailto:webmaster@honestjohn.co.uk
x-trail diesel vs crv - HF
Only to say that the last time I had you in
the chair, dear, you were getting noticeably thin on top > smile>.

Martyn [Back Room moderator]
====================

ROFL!!!!! It's little things like that, that keep me just coming back for more!!! (Shouldn't have said that, now you know that the easiest way to get rid of me is to ban the humour ;)
HF
x-trail diesel vs crv - Mark (RLBS)
>>you were getting noticeably thin on top .

I was alright until you made me eat that veggie meal in a non-smoking restaurant which didn't serve vodka.
x-trail diesel vs crv - Dave_TD
I knew I'd find it....

And I quote:

HONDA CRV OR TOYOTA RAV 4 ? - Honestjohn Wed 6 Nov 02 09:53

I've just had a new RAV 4 D4-D 5-door for a week. The X-Trail 2.2DI 6-speed Sport is the better all round vehicle. But the RAV has advantages of being better looking, better handling and much easier to drive. It also has a low rear load sill so little dogs can jump into the back of it easily. If you want a 'fashionable' urban 'softroader' then the RAV is probably the most painless buy. But if you want a really capable 'softroader' 4x4 capable of cutting it with the real 4x4s, then your choice has to be the X-Trail.

HJ
x-trail diesel vs crv - jd
>>After a rethink - I'd previously thought an estate would meet the family needs, I'm now looking at the x-trail (diesel seems to be best) and crv (no diesel available) and would appreciate comments, owners experiences or any good/bad news.
many thanks<<

KW,

I had a test drive in an X-Trail 2.2 diesel the other day and was very impressed - if felt solid, quick enough and refined with an easy cruise posible at 85mph (about 3000rpm).

It is actually more refined and just as quick as my '98 Passat Tdi estate.

Interior is, well.... different ! But it is well built.

I am certainly looking seriously at changing.

I would be interested in any comments about ownership also as my main worry is whether or not the fuel consumption as stated is accurate. HJ tested one I think and averaged 35mpg which would be OK.

Model I would go for is the Sport with washable seats because the beige leather trim on the SE models seems daft if you are going to muck the vehicle up - which I definitely will !

JD
x-trail diesel vs crv - AK
After a rethink - I'd previously thought an estate would meet
the family needs, I'm now looking at the x-trail (diesel seems
to be best) and crv (no diesel available) and would appreciate
comments, owners experiences or any good/bad news.
many thanks
kw
Likewise new arrival meant honda prelude impractical didn't contemplate x-trail until read Honest John's praise. Spent days looking on internet getting prices and road test reports. Visited importer who had top spec diesel and I was hooked. After advice -try local dealer, I visited "west way Nissan, Coventry" without trade in and I got a great deal.(Will need to ask for best price or match) Brand new Uk car polished ready and waiting within weeks. No warranty to register at £75 if it was an import. and covered from day of registration. Havn't used a full tank of diesel yet 1 week old. So far I am very impressed with a fine diesel especially when warm, nice on the road and feels different-apparently some insurers ar a bit funny about imports-AK

x-trail diesel vs crv - Perturbed
Got to decide what the car is going to be used for primarily. If its a true off roader you want then get the X-Trail, but if you want something built for street use then the CRV or RAV4 may fit the bill better. At the end of the day its your decision

I just bought a RAV4 Petrol (scissors and perm lotion optional extras)and I love the way it drives, especially for the missus. Its as easy as a Corolla.

AK,

Just wondering how you are getting on with your X Trail ?

I am collecting my new 2.2 Sport next week and have high expectations of what should (fingers crossed....) be a very good vehicle.

My first Nissan though .... need I worry ?

JD
x-trail diesel vs crv - jud
With 8 years of Nissan primera behind me no, i'm considering buying one in the near future.
x-trail diesel vs crv - AK
JD.
No complaints so far -first tank only did approx 30 Miles to gallon but we didn't really get out of 4th gear much and being new sat inside trying to figuire out cd and aircon. Steering may feel a bit heavy depending on what you are used to driving but I have no complaints-As for Nissan-I only have heard of positive feedback. I used to drive mainly Audi/VW but I now drive a Toyota van as experience of abismal VW warranties(poss dealership)and an Audi money pit has forced me over to a reliable durable and likeable van. We have a Honda prelude that is better built and more reliable than any german car previously owned(just no room in back).I was keen on the CRV but didn't know of the Nissan. I felt Nissan knew about diesels and built good cars, So far I'm right. But We'll have to see 5-10 years On !?
I don't Think you'l be dissapointed. I had a smile like a cheshire Cat.
Let us know how you get on.
Thanks AK.

I'm with you on the Japanese angle. Previously I've had about 6 different Subaru's and they were great with hardly a blip in many '000's of miles hard use, but the escalating day to day running costs starting getting to me.

This led me to a Passat Tdi - good economy but oh so dull and lifeless.

I can't recall what made me look at an X-Trail. Probably a combination of seeing one on the road, some reviews, and a need for something that can get mucked-up without spoiling it (my Passat's interior is knackered after 4 years).

I'm plan to take delivery next Saturday (29th) and I will certainly post my initial impressions.

Hopefully it will be reporting good things only.....

JD
AK,

Just thought I'd let you know I picked up my X-Trail 2.2 Sport today.

Very smooth collection process at the Nissan dealer, all paperwork ready, car ready - absolutely no problems.

Initial impressions are very good, the engine having much more mid-range punch than I remembered from the test drive. Gear box is a little sticky but I would expect this to free up with the miles. Driving position and visibility are first class. Will be looking forward to driving long distances in the X-Trail with it's long, loping 6th gear.....

The interior I like, although I can understand why some wouldn't - it feels airy and spacious though it is no bigger than my old Passat. CD player good standard.

The biggest impression though is the build quality - this vehicle feels extremely well put together.

All in all a happy day ......

JD

x-trail diesel vs crv - KB.
jd, Good luck with your new X Trail.

Reviews of the diesel, when it first came out, mentioned an obstructive gear change. Surely they must have sorted that, and hopefully yours is just sticky due to newness.

How is the colour of the interior? Is it still somewhat pale in colour? or have they offered any options?

I see dealers offering a minimum £1000 off the X Trail, but don't know whether this applies to diesels - presumably you was happy with the deal you got.

Would imagine you can expect trouble free motoring - post again with your experience.
KB.
KB,

The gearbox is already getting easier - must be just the newness as you say.

The interior I have is the 'Sport' level with the sort of egg-box (!?) pattern on the seats that is washable. The only other option was to go for leather, but I didn't want this.

The deal I got was quite good (so the dealer tells me, and I am happy with it) but you are right, there is nothing offered on the diesel. I posted separately on this but briefly, my local dealer offered zero discount, then a few days later I popped into another dealer in a town 30 miles away as I was passing at the time. Sat down, said what I wanted and basically got the equivalent to a £1500 discount ....... now if the local dealer had realised I was serious he would have got my business, but sense this reaction by dealers to enquiries is not unusual.

The weekend has just been made even more perfect by England's rugby team......

JD

Value my car