reliability: Honda Accord vs Ford Mondeo diesels? - sandbox

I'm thinking about buying a 2006-2007 and diesel estate car that has run about 90,000 miles. The Honda Accord 2,2 ctdi and Ford Mondeo 1,8/2,0 tdci (mk2 or possibly mk3) seems to fit my needs and budget the best. Which one is likely to be the most reliable and economical?

Edited by sandbox on 13/02/2014 at 20:36

reliability: Honda Accord vs Ford Mondeo diesels? - 72 dudes

At this age and mileage, there are too many variables to give sensible advice either way.

Older diesels can give problems and much will depend on how they have been treated and maintained earlier in life.

The most important thing is to base your decision on condition and traceable service history. Old bills and invoices to back up the service manual would be good. Try and speak to previous owners. If a car dealer starts spouting Data Protection Act, walk away.

On the face if it, an Accord should be more reliable, but condition and history are all important. If you do go for a Mondeo, the 2.0 TDCi is a much better engine than the 1.8.

reliability: Honda Accord vs Ford Mondeo diesels? - www.carlease4u.com

Ford for me all day long

Charlie

reliability: Honda Accord vs Ford Mondeo diesels? - focussed

Ford for me all day long

Charlie

An opinion based on other criteria than the desire to post blatant advertising would garner respect..

reliability: Honda Accord vs Ford Mondeo diesels? - Avant

Indeed. I've disabled his account and if he wants to come back he'll have to use a different name.

reliability: Honda Accord vs Ford Mondeo diesels? - pd

Accord all day long. Some of the early CDTi's had issues with timing chains and VSA controllers going but by the years you're looking at they're very solid.

Mondeo: Injectors, diesel pumps, dual mass flywheels, cluthes all weak points. When a TDCI goes wrong they usually cost £1500 to fix then go wrong again 800 miles later in my experience.

reliability: Honda Accord vs Ford Mondeo diesels? - theballboy

Have owned both and this is just my personal experience

Mondeo tdci 2.0

Great driving car but had to replace 4 injectors (not all at once)Starter motor broke up and poisioned fuel delivery system . Car scrapped as a result

This was a pre face lift model and think they sorted the starter motor issue in the facelif. The 2.0 tdci engine is a super reliable engine but (as with all modern diesels trying to balance ecomony and power) there are many fuel delivery, flywheel and drivetrain issues

If ur gonna go ford go for the 2.0tdci mk 3 facelight

Accord

I currently have an accord ctdi and its the best diesel iv had in terms of performance. Honda diesel very smooth (take off in second gear)

It really is a much better car than the mk3 mondeo in terms of reliability but here are the main issues

Prefacelift models. Possible chaincam failure. All Needd to have a history of using the correct honda oil. 03/04 can have manifold problems. Opting for the facelift model should erradicate these issues

But. Clutch will fail as there is an issue with it and will need a new flywheel when it does. Also driveshafts are prone to failure.

In summary though and as stated I have come to the conclusion that all modern diesel have thete own issues but the mondeo will have 3 times the issues of the accord. The accord will cost more too though. Good luck. (Ps noidea why text size kept changing on me as using my phone here)