VW Golf Mk IV 115PS TDi PD - Contitech Timing Belt Kits - Sourcing them - 547HEW

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a Contitech Timing Belt Kit for my AJM engine (vehicle built November 2000)?

From their website i have deduced that the kit number is 6DPK1195, but cant find a dealer locator on their website

I have tried without success phoning all the Conti numbers in the UK, so hope someone on here has overcome this obstacle!

Thanks

547HEW

VW Golf Mk IV 115PS TDi PD - Contitech Timing Belt Kits - Sourcing them - skidpan

Euro Car parts sell them.

Click on the link below,enter your reg number and bingo.

www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/b/contitech/p/car-parts/e...t

How hard can it be.

VW Golf Mk IV 115PS TDi PD - Contitech Timing Belt Kits - Sourcing them - 659FBE

ECP sell Contitech timing belt kits. They currently have a discount offer.

Your reference number is for a polyvee auxiliary drive belt. Contitech timing belt kits are prefixed "CT" - for example, the kit for my VAG AWX diesel is CT1028 C3.

The polyvee auxiliary belts are described by the number of ribs (prefix K or PK) and the belt circumference in milimetres. So the AWX aux belt is 5PK 1432 - which enables any belt maker to match it.

VW Golf Mk IV 115PS TDi PD - Contitech Timing Belt Kits - Sourcing them - 547HEW

Thanks to both posters, especially 659 for pointing out my mistake re part number/belt type.

I have now been on the ECP site and yes they do list a Contitech Timing belt kit for the AJM engine, but I have 2 issues with this kit.

1) It is for engine numbers up to 185670. My engine number is 342745.

2) It does not appear to contain the M10/M8 stepped stud that retains the Tensioner pulley.

I was particularly keen to renew the latter as this will be my 5th belt change on this engine, and although I have used less angular rotation on the M8 flanged nut than VW specify, I would rather renew it at this stage.

I guess I could just buy the stud from VW, where I have bought all my belts previously. But was sure I read somewhere on this site that the Conti kit came with the stud.

Any advice appreciated

VW Golf Mk IV 115PS TDi PD - Contitech Timing Belt Kits - Sourcing them - quizman

I've found this car-part-suppliers.mister-auto.co.uk/en/contitech-.../

VW Golf Mk IV 115PS TDi PD - Contitech Timing Belt Kits - Sourcing them - 659FBE

The timing belt kit differs between early and late PD engines - the early engines have a hydraulic tensioner as a separate unit which acts on the eccentrically mounted tensioner wheel. The later engines have a Litens friction damped sprung tensioner which is a single unit, the tensioner spring and damper being within the wheel. The Litens tensioners are very reliable when correctly mounted.

I suspect from the year of your vehicle that you will need the earlier kit + the hydraulic tensioner (sold by ECP as a separate part) but you should check carefully.

The dreaded stud...

I have written notes about this which you may have read. There is clearly confusion in the Fatherland as originally, the VAG kits never included the stud, and the Conti kits always did. The last Conti kit I bought (for an AVF) did not have a stud - but I understand the VAG branded kits do now include the stud. Make of this what you will - I think VAG now realise there is a problem here.

I would suggest on an old engine that you replace the stud (cheap from VW) and consider my views on the tightening torque for the nut, given in earlier posts.

VW Golf Mk IV 115PS TDi PD - Contitech Timing Belt Kits - Sourcing them - Simon

5th belt change on this one engine??? How often do you change the belt???

Simon,

Have owned the vehicle from new. 1st belt at 40,000 m (VW recommended interval) , 2nd at 80,000 m. then third at 130,000 m, and 4th at 180,000 m. I am now on 235,000, so looking to go to 60,000 m on my current belt.

659, thanks for your informative comments. I confirm I have the external hydraulic tensioner. Think I'll go for the Contitech kit, and add the stud and a new water pump from VW.

I plan to do the work when the good weather arrives.....

The hydraulic tensioner cylinders lose pressure over time leading to an overslack belt. Unless yours is pristine and has recently been changed, I would strongly advise replacement - despite the additional cost.

VAG only sell water pumps with plastic impellers. As VAG, with these pumps, have invented a failure mode unique to their vehicles, you might consider a pump with a metal impeller - available from ECP or GSF.

Consider also replacing the four crank pulley bolts as these are subject to the same tightening specification vagaries as is the tensioner stud. Often, these bolts shear on removal, giving you an extra job to get the broken portion out of the camwheel. Finally, examine/replace the alternator freewheeling pulley.

Your 1.9 PD is nicely run in. Pity the later engines are not as good.

Edited by 659FBE on 14/02/2014 at 15:30

Yes I will be replacing the tensioner, although mine is the original. So will be bringing the job forward just in case belt is overslack.

Water pump was renewed with a VW item at 130,000 m. Although I've not had any issue with 2 plastic impellers so far, I will fit a metal version this time.

The 4 off crank pulley bolts! Shortly after buying the vehicle I invested in a VW Erwin(?) on line workshop manual subscription. This mandates you renew these bolts. It has always amused me that VW main dealers would have the timing belt kits in stock, but never these bolts. My conclusion was that if you got your Timing belt changed by a VW main dealer, you would drive away with the old bolts installed.

Alternator Freewheel pulley failed at 177,000m. But worth a check all the same.

Yes, it does run nicely. I think my interest is now to see how long PD injectors can last.

Thanks

VW Golf Mk IV 115PS TDi PD - Contitech Timing Belt Kits - Sourcing them - Simon

It still amazes me that Ford can make a cambelt and its associated components last easily to 100,000 miles before a recommended change, but the likes of VW insist on only 40,000 miles before a new belt is necessary.

Why...???

Simply because in my view, VAG Milton Keynes have made a cash cow from shortening the belt change intervals. This has been discussed many times, but the 4 year 40k miles rule is at variance with the recommendations printed in the service book supplied with the vehicle, and applies as far as I know to the UK only.

Identical PD engines sold elsewhere including the USA have a belt change interval of 80 or 100k miles with no time stipulation. The Americans would not stand for any less, and would be unlikely to be influenced by an importer providing information contrary to that already given - and coincidentally much to their advantage. They're not so soft as to be taken in by the "fear factor".

Politics and VAG-bashing aside, I've seen enough of these (now old) engines to gauge their component longevity. In my view, the printed information in the service book is reasonable. All timing drive components with the possible exception of the small roller I have found to be good for at least 80k miles. I change all drive components at about 60 - 70k miles simply because at most, this gives just one more belt change over the (very long) life of this engine.

A drive failure is expensive.

Given good fuel system maintenance with high quality filters, the Bosch injectors last almost indefinitely (although the wiring loom doesn't). I have found injection deviation quantities to be in spec on an engine with 330k miles of running. Later engines have less good injectors...

Edited by 659FBE on 14/02/2014 at 22:20

VW Golf Mk IV 115PS TDi PD - Contitech Timing Belt Kits - Sourcing them - quizman

In the site I've posted it shows you all the parts you need, ie water pump nuts and bolts.

Have you had a look at this site, it seems quite good.

PS I do not work for them!

Edited by quizman on 15/02/2014 at 16:49

Hi Quizman,

Thanks. Yes I have patronised Mister-Auto. Agree its quite a good site