Espada will be 50 - Happy Blue!

Later this year I turn 50, although I still feel like a 25 year old and my family and friends say I act like an immature 25 year old at that!

I fancy buying a motoring treat - nothing too expensive, but say at least 25 years old, for less than £10,000; with style, panache (possibly a soft top) and doesn't have to be too quick either.

Years I almost bought a 1960s Fiat 500 and my preference will be for Italian/French, but I am open to suggestions.

I leave the field open for you to have fun........

Espada will be 50 - artill

Style, panache, and French. It has to be a Peugeot 504 coupe or cabriolet.

For £10k you could have either, but the cabriolet might need quite a bit of work. You should get a nice coupe for that though. You will need a garage for either if you expect them to last any time at all, afterall the Italians steel of that era wasnt known for its quality.

Espada will be 50 - unthrottled

Unless you get anything below 1549cc or pre '73 prepare yourself for a road tax 'treat'...

Espada will be 50 - unthrottled

...but if you're going to get clobbered, may as well get yer money's worth. my suggestion is an original 6 series. You'll probably want the auto but there manuals to be found if you fancy rowing your own.

Espada will be 50 - Andrew-T

There are a few expensively restored 205 GTI's for sale at the moment. Take your pick - 1.6 or 1.9.

Espada will be 50 - Bromptonaut

Happy blue - are you the poster formerly known as Espada?

Happy Blue! will be 50 - Happy Blue!

ooooops!

Yes I am - changed my name to reflect my status as a former Bitter Blue (Manchester City supporter), I am now very happy! (at least I was until last night - can't even beat Norwich).

I like the Peugeot 504 coupe suggestion - Pininfarina made them I think. Very stylish. Its that sort of think I am thinking about. Wasn't there also a 304 coupe/cabrio?

Happy Blue! will be 50 - Andrew-T

I like the Peugeot 504 coupe suggestion - Pininfarina made them I think. Very stylish. Its that sort of think I am thinking about. Wasn't there also a 304 coupe/cabrio?

Yes, there was. There are still one or two in the UK - have a look at ClubPeugeotUK website - one may even be for sale ....

Happy Blue! will be 50 - Andrew-T

Wasn't there also a 304 coupe/cabrio?

Yes, there was. There are still one or two in the UK - have a look at ClubPeugeotUK website - one may even be for sale ....

There is indeed a 304 cabrio for sale on <clubpeugeotUK.org> (classifieds) needing a makeover, but you may not like the colour .....

Edited by Andrew-T on 09/02/2014 at 15:34

Espada will be 50 - Avant

If I were going for something old, it would be a Triumph Vitesse convertible - the 2-litre mark 2 (about 1968-71). I thought about it when I got to 60 and wanted a fun car: but being no mechanic I settled for a 2001 BMW Z3 which I had for 5 years with no trouble.

But I suspect a Vitesse might not tick your 'stylish' box. Maybe something Italian restored by a non-Italian - Alfa Spider as in The Graduate?

The Peugeot coupes / convertibles suggested above sound good - French but designed mostly by Italians. I thought the 406 coupe the best looking of all, although those were only 15 years ago or so. There's always the 205 cabrio to think about.

Edited by Avant on 09/02/2014 at 23:31

Espada will be 50 - Andrew-T

There's always the 205 cabrio to think about.

I don't need to think about it, I've got one :-) I would prefer the pre-cat car with a 1.6, not the detuned 1.9 version - also don't bother with the power hood, a manual one is fine.

Espada will be 50 - Oli rag

How about an Alfa sud sprint veloce, or a guilletta or a Lancia ( let me finish! ) fulvia?

All very nice cars as long as they haven't turned back into iron oxide.

Espada will be 50 - Happy Blue!

Oli - you have hit the nail on the head - a Lancia Fulvia. I'd happily have LHD to get a good one.

When I was a teenager my parents owned a holiday home in Malta. The very attractive female neighbour drove one of these wearing a short skirt........

I used to drive Alfasuds as a late teenager and loved them, but can't believe there are many left.

Happy Blue! will be 50 - Happy Blue!

Peugeot 504 Cabrio in mint condition - at least £20,000 and closer to £30,000 - phew!

Think I might have to lower my sights a little......