Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - scaniaking

We have recently put our car in for its MOT and the rear brake pads need replacing but the garage said the rear calipers would not wind back seemingly, but we have had no problems with the rear brakes sticking or not working and the electronic parking brake is working perfect and holds the car even on a steep gradient.

I am considering having a go at replacing the rear pads myslelf but have never done any work on a car with the electronic parking brake before and wondering what tools I will need and also how to stop the parking brake applying etc to allow me to change the pads.

Any advice on doing this job on the car would be very gratefully received

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - elekie&a/c doctor
You will need diagnostic equipt to wind the calipers back to replace the pads.if you are not sure,leave it to someone who can do the job properly,otherwise you will get into serious difficulty trying to re-assemble all the brake pistons if they extend too far.
You will need diagnostic equipt to wind the calipers back to replace the pads.if you are not sure,leave it to someone who can do the job properly,otherwise you will get into serious difficulty trying to re-assemble all the brake pistons if they extend too far.

Thanks for the reply so what you are saying is the normal wind back tool is not used it is done via the renault clip software to wind the calipers back, as the garage told me they tried winding them back but they would not move I wonder if they were not doing it properly

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - gordonbennet

Very handy info that from 'elekie&a/c doctor', thankyou, wondered what the score would be when the time came for friction materials.

Seemed like a good wheeze could be worked there to make it a lucrative main dealer only job...seems they thought it a wheeze too good to resist too.

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - elekie&a/c doctor

You don't need the renault clip machine specifically,there are plenty of aftermarket tools that will do the job,but they don't come cheap.Just hope the garage has not damaged the system by trying to wind back manually.

Thanks for the replies have noticed this website is doing the renault clip at a very good price at the moment so might purchase and have a go at doing the job

www.obdtool.co.uk/wholesale/renault-can-clip-diagn...w

Be warned,this is a clone .The real one will cost over £2000.

Be warned,this is a clone .The real one will cost over £2000.

Thanks for that I honestly thought this was a genuine product

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - gordonbennet

Doc, does periodic bleeding of the brakes need the services of this box of electronics to perform its tricks too?

I've started taking a healthy interest in 70's Cadillac Broughams, the more electric carp they stuff in these modern disposable cars the more attactive they look.

Probably not.Only if a major component were to be replaced,then the system would need to be bled diagnostically.But tbh,this applies to most modern cars now.It would seem that most manufacturers use the philosophy that if it a tried and tested system works ok,then change it.

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - injection doc

I would seriously be concerned if it was a genuine garage that was trying to wind back the pistons to fit the pads ! If they thought they wound back they shouldnt be anywhere near a car let alone working on one !

I see plenty of cars seriously damaged by cloned and copy diagnostic tools and have seen a number of blown dashboards as well where cheap tools are used !

Brake fluid should be changed every two years and proper diagnostic tools have a bleed mode function to allow the system to be bled properly & efficently , very quickly by the ABS pump module running.

Probably not.Only if a major component were to be replaced,then the system would need to be bled diagnostically.But tbh,this applies to most modern cars now.It would seem that most manufacturers use the philosophy that if it a tried and tested system works ok,then change it.

Isn't that the truth, if its not broke they can't fix it quick enough.

Electric parking brake has to be the silliest and most uncalled for toy of the last 7 or so years, i suspect it will prove to be one of the top three reasons for scrapping of cars so fitted under 10 years old.

I notice new lorries are starting to sprout this rubbish...one poster on a lorry forum mentioned that a new Renault artic he drove switches off the lights, puts it in neutral (auto), and yes applies the electric parking brake, all when he switches off the ignition...and he thought this was progress and a good thing.

I have just spoken with the garage and asked them how they attempted to do the work on the car to find out if everything was attempted correctly.

And the answer I was given has made me unsure still he told me they do have a diagnostic tool to link up to the car and they told it to rewind and that you do not use any tools and that the rear calipers never moved as using a tool would damage the calipers he said, now is that correct or not :confused:

Anyone got any ideas on this is the garage trying to pull a fast one saying the calipers are faulty when they are not

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - scenic 3
Had this problem of rear calliper not winding out enough even with Renault software . Had to Wind it back by taking calliper off and using12 v battery and two wires with a bit of force on calliper/ piston. Also this didn't work at first on one side so had to take it to bits you can then wind it by hand all the way in and then the hard bit is putting back together, : ( the was still a problem in that there was no way of getting the rubber seal piston protector back on in one piece so small rip. It's worth getting new ones instead £120 each ish but u won't need the software or the headache so is cheaper in total £45 for good pads and 220-250 for callipers job done, the motors are Separate.... Renault nice cars but you need to be rich or a Renault mechanic to fix

Why do people voluntarily buy into this rubbish...this is not a go at you personally scenic 3, but a general quick rant at the whole EPB lunacy.

Even fitting a new set of pads appears to turning into a major headache unless you've got umpteen thousand pounds worth of the right diagnostic tools before you even start....though scenic 3 seems to have jerry wired a bodge that worked, and double well done mate the main dealer will be having a fit at the lost revenue, good.

A handy chap could have fitted 10 sets of normal brake pads in the faff time this model alone seems to be making for all when the things wear.

Imagine the nightmare should the system actually fail, is it going to be the blue flamed hacksaw to remove the seized in failure, then fit new parking brake calipers plus associated hubs discs wiring and bracketry, plus a new ECU no doubt.

Just WHY?

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - madf

And people wonder why I pan French cars..

I wonder why people buy them.. This thread proves I am (sadly) only polite to say what I really think.

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - JohanD

Well just did my Scenic 3 2011’s rear brake pads. Thanks to a number of very nasty words I uttered and the calming effect of silly youtube clips I have it done. Actually its not that difficult really, if you know what to do that is.

Firstly decompressing the Cylinder was a pain, I almost broke a nail, however, after being silly enough I realised the 12V motor is not going to just push back like a normal cable operated calliper.

Meantime, in my clever state I decided to pull the EPB up without pads in the Rear Left side, resulting in the system going into a panic a screaming blue death at me. I was not impressed, duly because there were now errors on screen I did not like.

Parking Brake Fault

STOP Brake System Fault

A 12V Battery with decent pins did the trick. Unwounded in a jiffy and easily pushed back the cylinder. Polarity Switching Rules!

Still have errors though.

Ok so brake pads were changed and fastened. Pulling the EPB up and releasing was working, manually, Auto was not working anymore. $*&*$&@!

Spongy brakes also, but that’s normal after I wasted about 600litres of Brake Fluid.

So obvious.

Right, so off I went, purchased some good Bosch Fluid, and filled her up (messed a lot) started a bleeding process with a minion behind the wheel pumping like a mad women!

Process completed and air gone, entire system flushed with new lube and all happy. Started her up and off I went. First stop, Brake system Fault gone, obviously due to the filled reservoir, which caused the error in the first place. Then Second stop, pulled the EPB, pulled away and released automatically, there the Parking Brake Fault also disappeared.

As easy as pie, although I spent a good 4 hours swearing like a sailor. Next time and obviously when I do the Clio’s brakes it will be quicker.

I noticed on various forums people complain about the Errors even a day after the brakes were changed. I am pretty sure it’s a simple filler-up problem, not sure why they don’t just have an error message indicating just that. STOP Brake System Fault will make anyone have a hissy.

Anyway, just my part on that.

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - edlithgow

Because they can, and it makes money for them, so they do.

They only thing that'd be likely to stop them would be consumer resistance, but that would require a huge shift in consumer awareness and attitude, which doesn't seem very likely to happen.

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - Liliflower

Sorry, this is a clone, I could say it is a high quality clone. The difference is that the oiginal CAN CLiP supports ECU progrmaming, the clone will not. But it does not provend it from diagnosing cars well. The obdtool one has updated to v151 so far.

www.obdtool.co.uk/wholesale/renault-can-clip-diagn...l

The price is very attractive. It if works, I do not mind spending £72 on this kit

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - eobd2center

high quality clone from this site - I update it to can clip v154

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - glowplug

Like so many labour saving devices they seem useless until your car is hit by another where the owner hasn't applied the handbrake. It's a bit like saying that drivers shouldn't need reversing sensors or cameras but I'd happily see them fitted to all cars than come back to my own to find a cracked number plate, split bumper, etc.

Never had any trouble with any of my 3 Scenics parking brakes. Interesting to note that a large percentage of electronic/electromechanical devices on french cars are made by 'foreign' companies.

Personally I don't need a GUI on a PC for a fair amount of things that I do but that doesn't stop me seeing that they are useful (essential) for some users or applications.

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - James42

Hi all,

I had seen from lots of sources that you can service calipers with the EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) without fancy tools. So I tried it out at the weekend and it is true.

I made a video of the process for other forum users to benefit from :-) youtu.be/kGn7tEjr600

Renault Scenic - Renault Grand Scenic mk3 2009 rear brake problems - Bolt

Hi all,

I had seen from lots of sources that you can service calipers with the EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) without fancy tools. So I tried it out at the weekend and it is true.

I made a video of the process for other forum users to benefit from :-) youtu.be/kGn7tEjr600

Correct me if wrong but dont the brakes and epb need calibrating so the computer knows where the motor and caliper pistons are to give max operation

Ie, not just you guessing where the motor is for the system to work out?