Used Car Warranty - andy4

Hi,

I will shortly be in the market for buying a two or three year old Mazda 2 for my daughter.

Having checked out some of the local garages, including a couple of main dealers, they all seem to offer a 3 year RAC warranty with the car. This is all well and good. But should I also expect to get a more comprehensive 6 month or 1 year dealers warranty as well. I know it all depends on what I can haggle out of them but just wondered what the norm is these days.

Also, how good is the RAC warranty?

Thanks

Used Car Warranty - Collos25

The RAC warranty is not worth much if anything, a minimum of 12months parts and labour warranty at a main agents plus you will be covered by the SOGA.

Used Car Warranty - oldroverboy.

Most aftermarket warranties are expensive toilet paper, just google "warranty problems " and the name of the warranty company in the same search.

If you are buying a 3 year old from a mazda dealer with a mazda backed warranty ok, but if not, and if it is petrol and has full service history, make sure brake pads etc are all fine, serviced before you buy and save your money.

Do not under any circumstances buy a 3 year old diesel. Too many potential problems.

You might also find that a fiesta will give you better value for money but again avoid the diesels, they are not suitable for everyone,

There are too many tales on here and in "technical "of people buying used diesels for me ever to consider a used one again.

As we say CAVEAT EMPTOR! buyer beware in plain english.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 01/02/2014 at 11:24

Thanks for your comments.

I will definitely hold out for a dealers warranty then. Preferably one year.

It will be a petrol Mazda 2.

I have only ever owned Fords. And very good they have been too. However my daughter does not like the interior of the Fiesta. She thinks the Mazda 2 looks far classier. In this case I have to agree.

Edited by andy4 on 01/02/2014 at 12:05

Used Car Warranty - oldroverboy.

So from Mazda dealer, petrol go for it!

Used Car Warranty - groaver

My other half has a Mazda 2 with the 1.5 petrol engine.

It's a fun little car to drive.

She has not needed to use the manufacturer's warranty but the brake discs needed replacing after 1 yr which wasn't too impressive.

As was said above, make sure the brakes are checked prior to purchase!

Used Car Warranty - gordonbennet

Just an observation.

Obviously a proper warranty is important to you, so lets forget all the expensive (and porous) bog roll that comprises aftermarket cover.

Would it not be better for peace of mind to buy a 2 year old car from a maker who has enough faith in their product to put a proper 5 (or more) years warranty on from new, such as Toyota or Hyundai/Kia.

Thank you all for your comments. Will definitely check the brakes before purchase.

Gordon - Good point. Unfortunately she has her heart set on a Mazda 2 and despite my efforts she will not budge. Although I must admit I do think it is a classy looking little car, both inside and out.

Used Car Warranty - Andrew-T

Unfortunately she has her heart set on a Mazda 2 and despite my efforts she will not budge. Although I must admit I do think it is a classy looking little car, both inside and out.

Sounds as if you don't have much room for manoeuvre :-)