volvo v70 2.4D Automatic D5 - poor performance - kevvolvo59

A day after filling up the tank for my weeks commute I noticed that the performance of the car had taken a back step from its usual excellent self. It starts ok and idles smoothly however when putting the foot on the gas the pick up is slow and has no kick down, it then slowly gets upto speed. the speedo lagging the rev counter.As I use the motorway for my commute it does improve except for the climbs where it just stays at about 60.

My first thought is that I have contamined fuel so I am busy burning that off before refilling with a better diesel, my question is what should I consider looking into next if its not the fuel

volvo v70 2.4D Automatic D5 - poor performance - Collos25

You do not say how old the car is or how many miles it has done but the description sounds like it has gone into LHM I assume it is the 5 cylinder engine, a good place to start is the EGR valve equally it could be just a perished hose on the vacuum side,

volvo v70 2.4D Automatic D5 - poor performance - slkfanboy

Har to say. If you suspect bad fuel. I would to up with good fuel max some VMAX to chean the system a bit. I would not run it empty the refull, but keep topping up. If it's water/petrol leaked in to the fuel pumps tanks or something then it could do damage.

Once you sure you have flushed the system, get the fuel filter replaced.
Alex

And all the vehicles that have filled up at this petrol station have had problems because of contaminated fuel I think not.

volvo v70 2.4D Automatic D5 - poor performance - craig-pd130

a good place to start is the EGR valve equally it could be just a perished hose on the vacuum side,

The D5 motors have a complex vacuum system, which includes vacuum-actuated engine moutings. As Collos suggests, I would remove the engine cover and look for any of the black rubber vacuum hoses that may have become kinked, trapped or popped off its connector.

Have you got a 'service needed' or other warning light on the dash? It could also be the diesel filter needing a change. Apparently the D5 motors are sensitive to this.

Have a search through the Volvo owner's forum, that may help: www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113

volvo v70 2.4D Automatic D5 - poor performance - galileo

however when putting the foot on the gas the pick up is slow and has no kick down, it then slowly gets upto speed. the speedo lagging the rev counter

This suggests a problem with the auto transmission rather than the engine, doesn't it?

No it doesn`t it suggests its going into LHM which will cut the revs and will not allow kick down as described.