New Mazda 3 wheels - davecooper

I know it is early in the cars life but has anyone compared or seen any mention of a comparison between the new Mazda 3 fitted with 16" and 18" wheels? I am more interested in ride quality than ultimate handling. I have driven the Sport fitted with 18" wheels and while the ride seemed ok, I am wondering whether the "lesser" models fitted with 16" wheels have a noticeably better ride. My local dealer only has a Sport available for a test drive so I am not able to make a comparison at the moment.

New Mazda 3 wheels - derv321

I got my SEL (16in wheels) 4weeks ago and like you test drove the Sport on 18". I've spinal issues and the 16" wheels do ride slightly better but the handling isnt as precise. I've owned Mk1 and Mk2 3's on 15-16" tyres and this one is slightly harsher ride and also very sensitive to tyre pressures - SEL is supposed to be 36psi all round and at 34.5psi on the front the steering was heavy. I'm trying 39 at the front now and its a good compromise (using a RACE X gauge for pressure checks). The standard fit TOYO NanoEnergy tyres though are not at their best on wet roads and compared to Michelin Energys' noisy too. - a trait I've noticed on our other 2013 3 1.6 with 17" wheels and TOYO tyres.

As for lesser models - Avoid the SE if you havent already seen one. I also prefer the SEL instruments to the Sport - The big speedo and smaller rev counter are easier to live with that the SPORTs Rev counter and digi speedo/HeadUpDisplay.

Edited by derv321 on 03/02/2014 at 22:11

New Mazda 3 wheels - Benugo

I'm intrigued. Why should the SE be avoided?

The Mazda 3 may appear on my company car list. I'm not overly fussed about

having built in sat nav or not, however I am interested if they are doing the VAG trick

of dropping the count of stereo speakers on base spec cars.

My current car only has them in the dash and front doors and not in the rear doors.

Also, what is the sound proofing like at motorway speed?

Thank you.

You pay £1500 more for SE-L but you get Heated Seats, Auto lights, Auto Wipers, Parking sensors (which are needed), Cruise Control, Speed Limiter, Xenon self level hights, LED running lights, Privacy Glass, Dual Climate Control (instead of manual Aircon), front fog lights. What you get for 1.5K is a lot hence dont bother with SE spec. UK spec stereo etc is the same in SE/SEL with 6 speakers Front and Rear and its RDS. You also can access AHA internet radio if you've an unlimited download on your mobile. DAB isnt an option. I dont have SATNAV but its an SD card upgrade since the screen and buttons are there already so if I sell to someone who needs it, they can easily get it via dealer.

Dealer reckoned 1.5SE is priced to get you through the door and then work you to the 2.0 and then rest is no brainer. I was looking at the SEL and thinking about saving some money with the SE and decided it was false economy.

A Golf (Mk5 1.4 i thnk it was) seemed quieter on motorway so the Mazda would probably be noisier than the latest VW - the Toyo's on my Mazda were made for smooth tarmac not broken UK roads so would love to trial Michelins to see the difference.

Edited by derv321 on 05/02/2014 at 23:33

New Mazda 3 wheels - davecooper
That's very useful feedback. Thanks.
New Mazda 3 wheels - xtrailman

Its the tyre that determines the ride, with the same suspension, my Cx-5 has 55 profile tyres which suits me, but if you want comfort with the CX-5 go for the 65 profile.

You don't mention the profile, but i wouldn't drop below 55, once had 45 on a Audi and the ride was horrendous.

The same will apply to a Mazda 3.

New Mazda 3 wheels - unthrottled

34.5psi on the front the steering was very heavy.

I've never seen tyre pressures quoted to that degree of precision before!

A nice bonus of high profiles is that you can effectively fine tun the ride to your personal preference because the sidewall doesn't support much of the load.

According to handbook

205/60R16 or 215/45R18 on the 3