Toyota yaris d4d - Dealer-only and retail oils - any difference? - Ben's burning questions
I recently got my car back from its first service. The itemised bill showed that I had been charged almost £60 for the oil. I queried this and determined that they had used 3.2 litres of castrol magnatec C2.

I pointed out that I could have bought 4litres of that from the Halfords next door for about £35, and asked how they could justify charging double that. After a long hard think they said that the oil that they use is Castrol Magnatec C2 professional. This oil not being available to the general public, I was not comparing like for like because what they had used was better.

I think that's a crock, but I'm trying to stay open minded. Is there a difference between the pro and retail grades of oil, apart from the colour?

Next time we agreed that I would bring my own oil. I can get the pro stuff online if I look hard enough.

Even so, I expect that if I bring my own oil they'll just charge me £50 for the sump-ring to make up the difference. i can hear the excuses now - it's a genuine part sir, manufactured to exacting standards. You don't want to invalidate your warrantee using someone else's ring.

Thoughts appreciated
Ben
Toyota yaris d4d - Dealer-only and retail oils - any difference? - jc2

The "professional" bit probably means it comes in a 40 gallon drum!

Toyota yaris d4d - Dealer-only and retail oils - any difference? - skidpan

I suspect your Yaris has a dpf since the dealer is using C2 (low SAPS) oil. Having looked at the Hafords site there are no Magnatec C2 oils thus you are not comparing like for like.

Our Kia Ceed CRDi needs a low SAPS oil as well, in our case its C3 grade. He charges about £60 for the 5.3 litres required. But he is quite happy for me to bring along my own C3 spec oil, if I took a different spec it would be goodbye warranty.

We use Total Quartz MC3 in ours, matches the Kia specs exactly. Under £21 for 5 litres.

Not sure what the Yaris needs but if, as I suspect, its a fully synth 5w/30 C2 then this is the stff. www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/Total-Quartz-Ineo-EC...8 Ignore the Peugeot/Citroen bit, its the grade that matters. At under £21 why pay more.

Toyota yaris d4d - Dealer-only and retail oils - any difference? - RT

My Hyundai dealer charged me £33.44 incl VAT for 6.7 litres of low SAPS Mobil Super XE5W-30 ACEA-C3 during it's 3rd year service last week. It retails at £11.10/litre so they discounted the oil by 55%.

Over £60 for less than half the quantity of almost identical oil is taking the p**s.

Edited by RT on 25/01/2014 at 11:40

Toyota yaris d4d - Dealer-only and retail oils - any difference? - mark999

As long as the oil you use meets the manufactures spec you will be fine. www.moto-oil.co.uk stock some of the proffessional oils, they also have some good offers on.

Mark