Nissan - any pointers - jd
Hello, I'm new.

Just had a look at the Nissan X-Trail following many good reviews (including HJ's). Seems to be well put together and a thoroughly practical vehicle (in 2.2. tdi version).

I was looking at Golf tdi estates but the lack of interest from VW dealers and exorbitant prices put me off - plus the suspected downgrading of the Golf quality as mentioned in this forum.

I currently have a '98 Passat Tdi (115bhp I think) which is fine but getting long in the tooth. Comparing the Nissan I can discerne absolutely no build quality differences - if anything the Nissan seems better built.

Having never owned a Nissan before, and being used to utter reliability (6 x Subaru's and 1 x VW - a good one), my question is :

Will the X-Trail handle 60-70,000 miles easily and does any body want to offer their opinion on reliability with Nissans (or the X-Trail specifically....)

I want my next purchase to last 5 years at least

Look forward to any comments

JD
Nissan - any pointers - oldtoffee
Will the X-Trail handle 60-70,000 miles easily and does any body want to offer their opinion on reliability with Nissans (or the X-Trail specifically....)

It's a bit new to have a track record one way or the other but Nissan have a good reputation as do Toyota, Mazda, Subaru (spot the trend?!). Chain driven cam should help it sail past the miles you're looking to put on it.

Some of the reports I've read suggest that the Toyota RAV4 is a better drive on the road but the X-Trail has the edge off road if you need it.

Nissan - any pointers - jd
Thanks Neil

"It's a bit new to have a track record one way or the other ..."

I realise this and the other problem is tracking down any used or nearly new models.

"Some of the reports I've read suggest that the Toyota RAV4 is a better drive on the road but the X-Trail has the edge off road if you need it"

I don't think the RAV 4 would handle the tough life my cars get. With dog, kids, outdoor gear, fell runs etc. my Passat is looking thoroughly knackered. The X-Trail looks as though it would stand this sort of punishment, particulary the Sport model with washable seat covers, hard-lined boot etc.

My last Subaru Forester S-Turbo was good in this regard but a nightmare to run in terms of costs.

JD