Vauxhall Corsa 2008 - Headlight bulb problem - happyvaux

Hi all,

when I started the car the other day, the driver's side (dipped) headlight came on, then after about 2 seconds, the passenger side came on. I tend to leave the lights on automatic setting mostly. Driving along, I noticed that the passenger side light went off, then came back on after about a minute or so, then went off altogether. I assume that the bulb has 'gone'.

I only replaced this bulb a month ago and the driver's side a month before that.

Does this sound like a problem with a relay? If so, or if not, how would I go about fault-finding with this? It's starting to get a bit costly, all these bulbs..

Cheers,

Pete

Vauxhall Corsa 2008 - Headlight bulb problem - elekie&a/c doctor

How "costly" are your bulbs?Buy cheap ,buy twice.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Well, the 2 'mainstream' motor factors here charge a tenner for a bulb (think it's called a H7 or 477) or 2 bulbs for 16 quid.

Online, one of these motor factors charges 6 with free delivery (maybe for a minimum buy though), but I'm not keen on these bulbs being posted to me.....the postie would probably just try to squeeze them through the letterbox.

But the point is I'd be keen to try and find out if this was indicative of a relay fault, because even the cost of cheap(er) bulbs would add-up over time, if it carried on.

Cheeers,

Pete

Vauxhall Corsa 2008 - Headlight bulb problem - oldroverboy.

Without being silly about it,, 2 bulbs in5-6 years? or are they blowing on a regular basis. In the days of easily accessible headlights (and less well made bulbs) we would often change all the bulbs when one went, often not charging labour for a 2 minute job, but now when some cars need the front bumper dropped to remove the headlight it actually makes sense to change them.

Is there condensation inside the units, have you bumped the car, (even over speed bumps).. those little filaments are fragile.

I would suggest you buy your bulbs from the vauxhall dealer.An H7 is cheaper from them and it will be a premium quality product.The motor factors are buying in these cheapo bulbs from around £1-1.50 each.I very much doubt if you have a relay problem.hth

Vauxhall Corsa 2008 - Headlight bulb problem - bathtub tom
the driver's side (dipped) headlight came on, then after about 2 seconds, the passenger side came on. I tend to leave the lights on automatic setting mostly. Driving along, I noticed that the passenger side light went off, then came back on after about a minute or so, then went off altogether.

With those symptoms I'd be looking for a dodgy connection.

Thanks guys.

Ha ha....elekie&a/c doctor, I thought ur original reply was suggesting buying them cheap, but in bulk....doh! I get it now

There is no sign of any condensation in the units and before the 2 recent bulb replacements, it has been c. 6 months since one has blown. Yes, my city's streets all have speed bumps but I don't recall any incidents of hitting them hard.

So I'll take all of your combined advice and get my next bulb(s) from the dealer and also check the wiring, although on the last bulb change, all looked ok.

Thanks,

Pete

ps. now the nearside fog bulb has gone.............aargh

Just some feedback after your kind help guys,

on checking, I found that the problem was a loose connector, I moved it slightly and the light came on. It seems that I've damaged the side of it when trying to remove it last time. The hard part is not the limited access, but the connector removal!

I plan to replace the H7 connector, but I suspect it'll be bumper off and headlight off to do it.......I plan to use self- sealing butt connectors. The only problem I can foresee is that one side of the connector has one wire, but the other has 2. Maybe this side with 2 wires going to one blade will need a slightly bigger butt connector to get both wires in......I'm not sure, as I've never used one.

Cheers,

Pete

This is what you need;Durite H7 070523

Vauxhall Corsa 2008 - Headlight bulb problem - Cyd

Just some feedback after your kind help guys,

on checking, I found that the problem was a loose connector, I moved it slightly and the light came on. It seems that I've damaged the side of it when trying to remove it last time. The hard part is not the limited access, but the connector removal!

I plan to replace the H7 connector, but I suspect it'll be bumper off and headlight off to do it.......I plan to use self- sealing butt connectors. The only problem I can foresee is that one side of the connector has one wire, but the other has 2. Maybe this side with 2 wires going to one blade will need a slightly bigger butt connector to get both wires in......I'm not sure, as I've never used one.

Cheers,

Pete

I'm currently a Domestic Electrician. I see no end of problems with burned out accessories due to loose connections. And not just on high current stuff like showers and cookers.

I would suggest entrusting this work to an auto electrician, as "easy" as you may think it looks.