Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic - Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic service history - Von Ryan

My son has recently passed his test, he learnt to drive in a Fiat Grande Punto and would like one as his first car. There is one advertise in a local garage with FSH 22,000miles, £3795 (plus £125 admin fee!), but the service book shows the first service done in April 09 at 5000miles, then the next service (4th in book) is done in March 2012 at 15000miles, 10k and three years without a sevice. This was followed by a service in March 2013 at 19300miles 95th in book) So my question is, is the car worth considering?

Many thanks

Pete

Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic - Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic service history - Avant

I'm sure there are plenty of Puntos out there with a history of services done when they should be. He could also - is he really does want a Fiat - look at the Panda.

But try to persuade him at least to try some of the alterrnatives, such as the Fiesta, Yaris and Mazda 2.

Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic - Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic service history - Marklew

I assume it is an 08 plate? I had the same model on a 06 plate as my first car in 2010 and had nothing but trouble with it (car was on 29,000 miles when purchase and I did 6,000 miles in the 2 years I owned it), in this time I had to replace the electronic power steering (apparently a common fault) and also had to get the gear box realligned (again apparently a common fault). Mine had full annual Fiat service history. I have either been very unlucky or someone had been fiddeling the car/mileage and/or servicing history before i bought it, but I would personally never consider a Fiat again because of this experiance. They look nice and have a low insurance group, but, in my opinion, will end up costing you. Personally I'd look for something more reliable, that will save you/your son fortunes in repairs.

Although someone told me the 06 plate was the worst affected by these problems and they ironed them out in later models???, but someone more knowledgable about cars/Fiat may be able to advise, this is just on my experience and what the people in the garages told (i.e. they have seen a lot of them with these problems).

Or if you go for it make sure the steering has no misallignment (mine started going to the left before it completely failed) and that you can go into all gears smoothly.

Good luck!

Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic - Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic service history - Von Ryan

Thank you for the advice, I think we are not going to bother with the one I mentioned above. Though we are going to see another 08 being sold privately with FSH, 34k, family owned it since new. We have had three Uno's and a Punto (52) with no problems apart from an alternator on the Punto at 90k. If we end up not purchaing this one, will add the Yaris to our list.

The insurance group for the Fiesta 1.25 is 7/8 according to Parkers, compaired to 4/5 for the Punto 1.2.

Cheers

Pete