Toyota Prius 2010 - Repair issue - Bob S

After 38,000 miles and 3.5 years my Toyota dealer has had to replace the "Top intermediate shaft" on my Prius because of knocking from the steering (cost of £181 parts and £90 labour). I spoke to their Toyota Technician who told me this happens fairly frequently on the Prius. Toyota recalled all Prius models before mine for a very similar problem it appears. I've paid the bill to get my car back and asked for the Service Manager to ring me. Should I challenge this bill in your opinion and if so who with, Dealer or Toyota UK?

Toyota Prius 2010 - Repair issue - gordonbennet

Isn't a 2010 Prius still under warranty?...5 year?

If its a 3 year warranted car, then the dealer should IMO have contacted Toyota head office on your behalf for a goodwill repair, and i would expect them to agree without any quibble going by previous experience...the fact they apparently haven't done so makes me think its one of the rare Toyota main dealers not up to usual standards...i'd contact Toyota direct if the service manager makes excuses.

Toyota Prius 2010 - Repair issue - Bob S

It's only the Hybrid system that's gteed 5 years the rest is 3 - thanks for your response that's my instinct too. The Service Manager was "too busy to see me" when I picked the car up this afternoon so I requested a call from him - nothing yet, so I fear you're right.

Toyota Prius 2010 - Repair issue - gordonbennet

The Service Manager was "too busy to see me" when I picked the car up this afternoon so I requested a call from him - nothing yet, so I fear you're right.

Dear Lord, presumably he was trained that way at one of several other makes where the customer is only a cash cow to be milked.

The female Service Manager at the Northampton dealer (indeed the whole dealership) could not be further from your experience, always available and knows her onions.

Toyota Prius 2010 - Repair issue - Collos25

Isn't a 2010 Prius still under warranty?...5 year?

If its a 3 year warranted car, then the dealer should IMO have contacted Toyota head office on your behalf for a goodwill repair, and i would expect them to agree without any quibble going by previous experience...the fact they apparently haven't done so makes me think its one of the rare Toyota main dealers not up to usual standards...i'd contact Toyota direct if the service manager makes excuses.

The Toyota website says 5 and 8 years.

Toyota Prius 2010 - Repair issue - JohnM52

>>The Toyota website says 5 and 8 years.

But I believe this to be cars sold after 1st June 2010?

Edited by JohnM52 on 15/01/2014 at 23:15

Toyota Prius 2010 - Repair issue - coopshere
Which makes the OP' s car in warranty if it's only 3.5 years old and he is in the UK.
Toyota Prius 2010 - Repair issue - Collos25

Exactly.

Toyota Prius 2010 - Repair issue - JohnM52

Exactly.

Agrred, so if OP can confirm date of first registration then appropriate advice can be given, rather than a guesswork split approach.