Toyota Avensis - CLUTCH AND DMF CHANGE ON A TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D4D - VEC786

I need to change the clutch soon. I was wondering what make of clutches do people recommend, genuine from Toyota? £200 or a LuK for £100, chances are genuine one is probably made by LuK.

or is there other brands to consider.

and is changing the dmf a must when doing the clutch kit, surely if the dmf has no play or not damaged I should be able to use it again.

I do not want to go down the solid flywheel conversion route.

Toyota Avensis - CLUTCH AND DMF CHANGE ON A TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D4D - Simon

If the DMF is fine, don't waste money changing it. I would use an LUK or Sachs clutch kit, unless the 'genuine' item is cheaper from Toyota.

Thank you for your reply, No the genuine one is around £100 more expensive.

Toyota Avensis - CLUTCH AND DMF CHANGE ON A TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D4D - Cyd

LuK branded aftermarket replacement clutches are the exact same clutches they make for OEMs all over the world. Same production lines, same materials, same standards. they just don't come in a OE box and sold from an expensive glass palace.

Most OE component suppliers simply run their lines for an extra few hours after producing the OEMs order to meet spares demand.

Thank you for your reply. Cyd{P}

I have seen a vauxhall vectra 2.0 dti flyhweel and clutch with LuK and GM stamped on. So I know LuK do make clutches for OE but are they the same quality if I was to buy one from my local motor factor.

I want the clutch to last as much as possible. but If the LuK kit is the same clutch I am going to get from Toyota but in a redbox with Toyota stamped on it why should I pay extra.

what I do not want is to go for the cheaper option and it not last as long. I rather pay the extra for the clutch in the first place than to pay labour and another clutch half way down the line.

I do not want buy cheap and pay twice if you get what I mean. Thanks again.

Toyota Avensis - CLUTCH AND DMF CHANGE ON A TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D4D - Robin the Technician

LUK and Sachs are the best on the market. Buy any of these wth confidence.

Robin the Technician - I fix,therefore i am

Thank you for your reply. Cyd{P}

I have seen a vauxhall vectra 2.0 dti flyhweel and clutch with LuK and GM stamped on. So I know LuK do make clutches for OE but are they the same quality if I was to buy one from my local motor factor.

I want the clutch to last as much as possible. but If the LuK kit is the same clutch I am going to get from Toyota but in a redbox with Toyota stamped on it why should I pay extra.

what I do not want is to go for the cheaper option and it not last as long. I rather pay the extra for the clutch in the first place than to pay labour and another clutch half way down the line.

I do not want buy cheap and pay twice if you get what I mean. Thanks again.

I thought I'd answered that question quite adequately above.

I don't claim to "know it all" but 24 years as a Professional Automotive Engineer at major UK OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers has given me a pretty good insight into engineering and production practices.

I wonder why I waste my time answering these questions sometimes!!!!

When I recently had the gearbox out of my (tuned) Saab 9-3 Aero for some other warranty work, I had the clutch changed while it was out and insisted on an LuK unit.

Toyota Avensis - CLUTCH AND DMF CHANGE ON A TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D4D - Bedhead

If the car is 04 on, it'll have an Luk clutch in it anyway, before that is was a Aisin unit which is getting pricey as the want you to change the DMF to an SMF kit.

I've seen a lot of DMF's fail a few month after fitting a new clutch, good news for me as I sell the things, but bad news for the punter.