Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - Happy Blue!

The S-Max will be five years old in June and I will have owned it for 4 years by then, having driven about 40,000 miles. I love the car, but I am getting itchy feet.

I think we still need a car which has seven seats. Still debating that issue with Mrs HB, but if I bought another S-Max I think I would regret spending the money (a new S-Max is so similar to mine that it would feel like a waste of about £20,000 to change), whereas a different car would feel 'better'.

Having looked around I don't like any of the other seven seat MPVs and apart from the Grand C-Max you cannot spec them up to the same level as my car with all the bells and whistles.

So its back to the larger 4x4s and the BMW X5, Audi Q7 are way too expensive, I had a Volvo XC90 and thought it awful so have arrived at the Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe twins. The Kia appears to offer better value for money for the same spec and engine/gearbox combination. They will be a little more economical and faster than the S-Max and appear to have a nice flat floor and three individual seats for the second row.

So, any thoughts about the madness or otherwise of this proposal? I have not yet seen these cars close up in the flash.

I will also consider the Prius +, but wonder if I have been spoiled by the superb drive that comes with the S-Max?

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - gordonbennet

The only bad thing i've heard about them is wheel bearings/hubs failure on Santa Fe (though i don't frequent owners forums which are probably the best sources), and warranty on these was reduced to 60k miles apparently from what i read...though that is now several years old news.

I like them a lot, not least for the way prices seem to be holding up...though the real test will be when new models are released in due course.

Good looking practical vehicles IMO in a world where many makers seem to have lost the plot, and are producing both bland and sometimes spectacularly ugly cars.

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - oldtoffee

We have space needs and so we have a 2011 Santa Fe 2.2 auto diesel and a 2013 Mondeo 1.6 tdci manual estate. The Santa Fe averages 30 to 35 mpg on runs, the Mondeo 50 to 60 and is hush quiet in comparison and handles far better. I expect if you go for the Sorento you'll miss the handling and cruising of the Smax and enjoy the higher driving position and great engine/auto box combination of the Sorento. The Santa Fe handles well for an SUV but the Mondeo is a delight and I guess the SMax too from what I've read. The Mondeo boot is noticeably deeper than the Santa Fe which suits us and our dog. We plan to keep the Santa Fe maybe up to 10 years, feels like it will last. The Mondeo goes back in 2016 when the lease expires to be replaced maybe by the new one if they ever start buildng them.

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - I'm a Pane

Have you checked out the new Citroen C4 Grand Picasso? Family Car of the Year 2014 and in top spec all the equipment you could ever want.

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - Auristocrat

The C4 Grand Picasso was named Top Gear Family Car of the Year 2013. Which is just the opinion of one motoring magazine.

Edited by Auristocrat on 12/01/2014 at 16:31

As Mrs HB says, all the other MPVs are simply school run cars, the S-Max is a seven seat Ferrari.

If we do down the five seat route, I will considering the Ford Kuga and possibly the VW Touareg. Regular cars with bench rear seats and a big transmission tunnel are such a pain with three kids.

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - Ordovices

As Mrs HB says, all the other MPVs are simply school run cars, the S-Max is a seven seat Ferrari.

I must have missed that Ferrari, what model number was it?

Did the S Max have the 2 litre or 2.2 litre diesel or the sporty 2.0, 2.3 or 2.5 petrol.... or the 6.3 litre V12 from the Ferrari Estate?

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - I'm a Pane

The C4 Grand Picasso was named Top Gear Family Car of the Year 2013. Which is just the opinion of one motoring magazine.

What Car MPV of the year 2014 - second opinion!

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - Avant

As one who's had three of the same make and model in a row (Octavia vRS estate), I wouldn't discount another S-Max: if you can afford a new or nearly-new car you're buying comparative peace of mind and a warranty.

I haven't tried a Sorento or Santa Fe, but from what I've read, they are highly competent cars which do the job they're designed for, but that job doesn't inckude being fun to drive. Ford seem to have cracked that one with the S-Max (and Grand C-Max if you want seven seats but don't need the extra room).

Not sure if any of the BMW X-series or Audi Q-series are available with seven seats. Worth looking at otherwise.

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - xtrailman

I think you should test drive the santa fe, i did and couldn't get out of the car quick enough.

Thes-max is noted as a drivers car, so i don't think you will like it?

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - RT

I haven't tried a Sorento or Santa Fe, but from what I've read, they are highly competent cars which do the job they're designed for, but that job doesn't inckude being fun to drive. Ford seem to have cracked that one with the S-Max (and Grand C-Max if you want seven seats but don't need the extra room).

Having had Fords and Vauxhalls for 4 decades I bought a Subaru, not a boy-racer version, just the ordinary Outback - what a revelation, the way it can handle twisty, undulating B-roads and really put a smile on your face.

Fast forward three years and I stupidly parked the Outback around a tree - needing something less gas-guzzling as a replacement I bought a 2011 Santa Fe - one drive without the salesman tells you who their German suspension engineers were trying to emulate when they did the major revamp between the 2009 and 2010 model years.

Discounting the X5 (twice the price) and Range Rover Sport (three times the price) the B-road handling of the later Santa Fe is as good as it gets for a 2+ tonne car - it can and does put a smile on your face.

Edited by RT on 12/01/2014 at 20:02

As someone who also drove an Outback for three years, I appreciate the sentiment!

I will simply have to test drive the various options. Hopefully I will have some fun.

Sorry all you C4 Picasso lovers, but I just can't do it! Also, despite the fact that the Grand C-Max is the S-Max's little brother, I don't like the styling or small SatNav screen and similarly can't really see myself in one. That comment may come back to biite me...

Ford just nailed the S-Max on styling, quality and image. It's actually very surprising that none of the upmarket brands attempted to compete until BMW recently announced what I think is a C-Max alternative.

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - gordonbennet
Sorry all you C4 Picasso lovers, but I just can't do it!

Phew, thanks be.

Decided to have a look at the Mercedes B-class. We had an 2007 A-class which we liked a lot, had a good rear seat for three people (no annnoying in the middle which makes that passenger feel like unwanted), a flat floor which is important for the middle passenger and was reliable. A bit too small for the family with luggage but a B-class might have done it.

Except it doesn't. What a disappointing car! The rear seat has a huge hump in the middle so the middle passenger is very uncomfortable, the floor is not flat, the drivers seat offers less useable space than the A-class and there is this stupid fake iPad screen so close to you that you really have to refocus your eyes when looking at the Satnav.

I got a good lease price for a new S-Max; maybe I should just get a new one??

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - NorthernBoy

thinking about moving to a sorrento - how do they compare to the mazda cx-5 does anyone know?

Swapping S-Max for Kia Sorento - RT

Sorento has a good diesel engine - the Mazda doesn't.

Sorento is considerably bigger, 7-seats possible.

Sorento is much bigger than a CX-5. Its almost Volvo XC90 size.

Had a look at a Sorento today. its ok, but I can't see myself in one. A bit too plasticky and the dash reminds me of the Sedona, which is at least six years old now. I know it has a great engine, but compared to the S-Max it feels outdated already.