Help buying used car - justanothergeordie

Hi all –

I own a 3 year old Nissan Qashqai. I'd like to sell or part ex it for something smaller as it's just being used for school runs etc now instead of the longer work journey's it used to do. I've checked online and it looks like I could get anywhere from 9-11k for it. I'd like to keep hold of 5k and buy something else for around 5k. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Priorities are: it's for a family of 4, 2 kids in the back so decent comfort; realiability is most important, I don't want to be going to and from the garage for repairs.

I've spoken to someone who has suggested the Hyundai i10 and Honda Jazz which I know nothing about as I don't know much about cars.

Thanks for any advice.

Help buying used car - daveyK_UK

10 plate or 11 plate Nissan Note.

Around £5 grand.

Lots of space and practicality.

Good running costs.

Go for either of the petrol engines.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 10/01/2014 at 00:18

Thanks daveyK – I realise I'm being overly picky but it's not a great looker is it? When I first thought about part ex-ing I had in mind a used Golf, Polo, Fox or a Mini but I've been put off after reading about people having more issues with them than a Japanese car.

If say, I bought a used Polo and my budget was 5K, I'd obviously get less car than if I was to buy a used Hyundai i10 for instance. Do people know if there are any cars to avoid around the 5K mark? I'm guessing 5K would get me a much older Mini with a high clock but it does look good :-)

Help buying used car - alan1302

Thanks daveyK – I realise I'm being overly picky but it's not a great looker is it? When I first thought about part ex-ing I had in mind a used Golf, Polo, Fox or a Mini but I've been put off after reading about people having more issues with them than a Japanese car.

never thought the i10 was a looker either...out of interest Hyundai aren't Japanese cars either they are built in Korea and the Jaz comes from Swindon

Help buying used car - Collos25

I thi.nk the Nissan is far better looking than the other cars named but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes apologies – I know it's a Korean manufacturer – probably should have written Far Eastern...

Just a quick one – where would you advise looking for a '10 or '11 plate Note for 5K? I can only find '08 and at best '09 for that price... Thanks

Help buying used car - coopshere
Unless you are prepared to take a big hit on the value of the Qashqai I doubt a dealer would be interested in doing a p/x for a car only worth £5k.

Great – thanks for the tip. So best to sell the Qashqai separately to a dealer or privately?

Help buying used car - coopshere
"Great – thanks for the tip. So best to sell the Qashqai separately to a dealer or privately?"

Check out the values using something like Parkers Guide, though not necessarily dead accurate will give you an idea of the difference between trade, retail and private value. The best price you will get from a trader is going to be substantially less than from a private buyer, however you have to factor in the hassle of selling privately. Also there will be a limited market selling it privately as most people spending that sort of money will be looking at some sort of warranty.
Help buying used car - oldtoffee

I don't think the i10 is big enough to qualify as a family car. The Jazz is good, clever use of space, bit firm around town. A petrol Focus or Astra would be on my list, decent space, reliable enough, comfy, loads to choose from and a little bit less expensive.

Help buying used car - daveyK_UK

Just a quick one – where would you advise looking for a '10 or '11 plate Note for 5K? I can only find '08 and at best '09 for that price... Thanks

SORRY,

was looking at the trade values.

You would get one at that price from an auction

Edited by daveyK_UK on 10/01/2014 at 21:16

Help buying used car - dieselnut

Several 10 reg Notes on Ebay for sub £5k.