VW golf 1.4 tsi 170 (twin-charged) mk 5 - Turbo fault - Amit420
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate if someone could advise me on an issue i have.

My EML light turned on approx. 8 months ago. Diagnostics revealed a turbo fault code.

I have bot commited to major works but have tried the following:

1. Simply reseting the code
2. Waiting for an effect after service
3. Injector fluid

1 & 2 as suspected had no impact. However 3 had an interesting effect. Now, when the engine is cold the turbo works magically. The granistion between supercharger and turbo is beautiful…until the engine is hot about 10mins later. Then the whine from the supercharger is aparent up-to 3.5k rpm above which there is a jerk and the engine just seems to become a standard 1.4 with no life.

The boost needle is full boost during the supercharger range (which is now protracted) up-to 3.5k and then goes down to 1/4 or 1/2 above 3.5k.

Thanks,

Amit
VW golf 1.4 tsi 170 (twin-charged) mk 5 - Turbo fault - Collos25

I think the original diagnosis was correct .

VW golf 1.4 tsi 170 (twin-charged) mk 5 - Turbo fault - The-Mechanic

I'm surprised you would wait 8 months knowing you have a fault with the turbo hoping it would fix itself ?

Obviously there is a fault with the turbo side of the forced induction system which by now has possibly caused a bigger problem, wear or damage to other components which may not have happened if it was fixed sooner.

What exactly was the diagnosis about the turbo ? Any idea what the error code and fault description was to give us something to go on ?

Hi thanks for your message.

I was reassured by the three different mechanics that there's no issue with the turbo. They have checked it for leaks and no problem. They even ran a performance check on the pistons and again reassured me that they were running smoothly.

The fault code is: P2267

Hope this provides some clarity.

VW golf 1.4 tsi 170 (twin-charged) mk 5 - Turbo fault - The-Mechanic

Are you sure that's the correct code ?

The definition of code P2267 is : Water in fuel sensor circuit high

This has nothing to do with the turbo as far as I know, plus it's a code for a diesel engined car fuel filter sensor so shouldn't be relavent to yours. An error code is only half the story as it's the definition of that code that's important. Error codes could have multiple definitions such as : circuit high, circuit low, short to positive/open circuit etc etc. Without the full definition the wrong diagnosis can be followed so it's important you get it re checked first.

I seem to remember there was a workshop action (not a recall) for some turbo engined Polo's and Golf's where a spacer plate was fitted to the vacuum actuator on the turbo and a software update applied for a boost pressure issue but don't know if it would be applicable to yours?

Get in touch with your local VW dealership and ask them to check if yours was within the range of the rework and if it was carried out.

Edited by The-Mechanic on 04/01/2014 at 09:09

That's the fault code i was given.

The reason why i didn't authorise any works is because the mechanic couldn't find the underlying issue.

I will take your advice and check with vw.

Strange though how the turbo works while the engine is cool and then stops once hot don't you think?
VW golf 1.4 tsi 170 (twin-charged) mk 5 - Turbo fault - skidpan

We had a VW Golf TDi, when hot one day the turbo stopped working. After a while it started again and the next day it was fine. Booked it in at dealer,not normal. Then it stopped again on the motorway so went to dealer immediately. It was a kinked vacuem pipe to a sensor, it had been poorly routed and when the engine bay got hot and the engine moved it closed the pipe up.

Simple fix, they re-routed the pipe, kept car another 6 years, no more issues.

Thanks for the advice all. Will update on progress - hopefully it will be good!
Hi everyone,

Update on turbo performance problem. Turns out the fualt was caused by a defective "n75" valve. It appears the components within this were "sticking" above a certain temperature, hence cutting off the turbo.

Replaced - £30 problem solved!

Hope this thread will help another person with the same issue.

Cheers,

Amit.
VW golf 1.4 tsi 170 (twin-charged) mk 5 - Turbo fault - gordonbennet

Another good poster, thanks for updating.

VW golf 1.4 tsi 170 (twin-charged) mk 5 - Turbo fault - CARLSP

Hi, after some advice if possible.

I have a 2009 VW Golf 1.4 TSI (122) - a few months back on a drive back from the shops my car became sluggish and felt like the turbo had gone. I had no engine light and no smoke or anything that would make me think 's***' something is terribly wrong here. The car drove fine but with no boost.

I took it to a garage and I was told it may be a faulty turbo and that it would need replacing. I was advised to take it to VW to confirm this as they have different diagnostics systems or something and they would be able to tell me 100% it would need a NEW turbo. I was hoping as I had no lights on the dash or smoke that it may be a sensor or something simple and cost me a couple of hundred quid, however...

I went to VW and yes they confirmed it was the turbo that had gone and that I would need a new one at the cost of £1,400 or there abouts. So as it was there and I had moved it from a couple of garages already I asked them to carry out the work and also service the car (Intrim)

Two days later the car was ready to be picked up and make my wallet considerably lighter. I had a few issues with the costumer service I recieved but thats another story.

The car felt like it was running like NEW for a few weeks. Then after coming down an A road and turning onto a normal road the car again feels sluggish but the turbo is working just feels like not to its full potential like its sticking maybe - Now i know how my car used to drive before any of my turbo problems and it wasn't the same as the drive I am getting now.

First thing in the morn its ok then it seems as I do a few miles it starts struggling at low-revs and takes longer to get up to speed and boost.

So I called VW and explained and the turbo is guarenteed for two years, however if its not related to the work they've done they want me to shed out another £80 to have it diagnosed.

I wondered if anyone here has had the same issue after having a new turbo? I know I am not being paranoid my car isn't right after being fixed by VW - and I am wondering if it did actally need a new turbo - or its something else??.... any advice appreciated - cheers Carl

VW golf 1.4 tsi 170 (twin-charged) mk 5 - Turbo fault - sammy1

Hi sorry to here of your problem. Having paid VW so much money I would insist that they check what work they have done. they have to disturb quite a lot of components to access the turbo and there is a good chance the work was not done correctly! Their work is guaranteed for 12 months. you know your car insist that they check it.

I don't know what issues you had with Vw customer service but it is par for the course when dealing with them. You must not be fobbed off and insist.

I do not know your mileage but did you ask for some consideration towards the Turbo.

VW fitted the wrong part to my car and it took 8 visits and their Uk head office to admit and fix my car.

Speak to the Service manager. Your can went in with a fault and it is very unlikely that something else has failed relateing to the original fault