Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - rinty

Jan 2010 - Mazda CX7 2.2 SportTech diesel

62,000 miles, full service history from supplying dealer

On Christmas Eve past (on the way home from church) I heard a load ‘tapping’ sound and I immediately freewheeled to a stop over about 300 meters. Before I came to a standstill the engine cut out completely. Between Christmas and New Year I towed the car back to the local dealer for assessment/repair.

They called me yesterday (31 st January) to advise that they had removed the sump and found the oil to be full of metal filings, that the engine was destroyed and that a new one would be required at a cost of between £7,000 to £8,000. They also want me to pay £1,000 up front for them to strip the engine to fully ascertain what caused the filings.

At this stage the car is just less than 4 years old (and 11 months out of its manufacturer’s warranty).

I do however feel than it is not unreasonable to expect a £28,000 car (when new) to last for more than 4 years especially when it has been maintained fully in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions by a franchised dealer. It also has only 62,000 miles on it (2,000 more than the 60,000 quoted by the manufacturer’s warranty)

Any words of advice/help most welcome

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - Oli rag

Sorry to hear that, not a good start to the year. Searching on here and other places you will find a lot of information on premature failure of mazda diesel engines although their petrols seem to be bulletproof.

I'm sure it's worth approaching mazda and seeing if they would pick up at least some of the tab for a replacement engine, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Best of luck.

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - Collos25

Sorry to hear about your mishap a quick look on ebay there is a complete diesel 2.2 engine with 21k for 2200.

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - KevinS
I too own a CX7 March 2010 2.2, though with a 45,000 miles on the clock. we too brought from new and had it full dealer serviced every year (as you can see we do less than the "std" mileage assumed for the car).

My wife passed your thread on to me thinking I wrote it as your engine failure symptoms were identical; Minding my own business, dual carriageway, 60/70mph, no outward sings of any problems then I overheard a tapping sound, did as you did and with identical results.

The fact that I had only just collected the car from a full 50,000 (albeit at 45k) service 3 weeks before left me baffled.

After waiting for the AA to recover I checked the oil, curiously the dipstick showed no oil on it. I assumed the dealer had not carried out the task or re-filled insufficiently....Tried to restart the car and found it seized. AA mechanic some two hours later found the same.

Following this my car was taken home for further outward inspection and then (at my expense) to the Dealer (who had done all the services from new) for a more detailed inspection.

I was somewhat surprised to be told that it could be combustion gases migrating into the oil (by the way it did have oil in it) most likely from the injectors normally no1. a check for this is normally carried out at the 70k service as it can prove catastrophic to the engine if left unattended.

Sure enough with out going anywhere else on the engine the mechanic was 100% correct in his synopsis. No1 injector was caked in carbon (or black flakes just like lime scale) leaving all the others clean. I was then told that what happens is these "bits/flakes" get flushed with the oil into the sump and consequently block the sump pick up pipe mesh filter and ....... effectively cause the engine to have a heart attack.

Some 15 minutes later the sump was removed filter exposed......It looked just like my Nan's tea strainer with the tea still in it..... My poor engine must have been starved of oil because of this...... No oil light ever came on to warn me, changing the oil and filter at the service wouldn't overcome it and nothing far short of me being aware of this or have this part of the service can see how I could have prevented the catastrophic failure of the engine.

The final kick in the teeth was when presenting me with the possible synopsis the Mechanic said "there's a CX engine; same as your over there (6 feet away) with exactly the same problem" !!

My circumstances are similar to yours I would be very interested to know if you found the same reason and what outcome you had with Mazda as I have just stared the journey of recompense, as I am completely flabbergasted at the situation and hold them 100% responsible.

Regards

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - teethlover

Hi Kevin, very interesting to read these posts as the exact same has just happened to my wife's CX-7. What was the outcome withyours?...

We have an independent assessor (ACE) checking our car now and writing a report based on their findings as to exactly why the car engine stopped.

It happened north bound on the M6, oil light came on then a knocking noise then engine died... Mazda assessed and suspect the injectors leaked etc...Just interested to find out what happened to you and your pursuit for justice..

thanks in anticipation

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - ejon

Hi Kevin, very interesting to read these posts as the exact same has just happened to my wife's CX-7. What was the outcome withyours?...

We have an independent assessor (ACE) checking our car now and writing a report based on their findings as to exactly why the car engine stopped.

It happened north bound on the M6, oil light came on then a knocking noise then engine died... Mazda assessed and suspect the injectors leaked etc...Just interested to find out what happened to you and your pursuit for justice..

thanks in anticipation

I had a s/h 2010 Mazda 6 2.2d on which washer on #1 injector failed & trashed the engine. Cost over €3k to fix with replacement engine (lotsa heartache with that but thats another saga!), but Dealer stood for labour cost despite his warranty expired. Not Mazda Main Dealer-maintained so no come-back on Mazda. Subsequently, turbo failed - damaged in prior episode. These Mazda diesels are a disaster; hope Skyactive is better. Have Mazda petrol - bullet-proof!

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - privateinvestor

I am no expert but reading these threads it is obvious of an inherent and underlying design fault. Seek legal advice and since it happens to low mileage cars as well take Mazda UK to court or threten them. Its put me off buying a Mazda,.... a very sorry tale of manufacturer incompoetence. YOu should try and contatc other owners who have suffered similar problems and try and pursue a class action (yes these things are expensive).

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - madf

Toyota had simialr engine failures withe the 2.2 diesel fitted to Toyota and Lexus diesels from 2006 to 2009.

They changed all engines affected for free up to 7 years old 180k kms free of course..Which is why this forum does not have a longer list of complaints - several thousand cars were affected..

See tinyurl.com/nl2go48

But Mazda are part owned by Ford whose record is appalling - see CVT issues.

Thanks for the comments here, FYI Mazda UK want the dealer to lift and strip the engine (at my potential cost) so they can determine the nature of the damaged items.

I have had a sympathetic discussion from Mazda UK, but no commitments

I am now faced with the dilemma do I agree to the dealer to carry out an engine strip, to corroborate the total loss of the engine, then find later Mazda make an offer that's unacceptable , with then a defunct engine and an invoice (and car held to ransom) for a failure I am completely innocent of.

I can only hope Mazda do the right thing.

One thing is for sure, anyone who owns a Mazda with the same engine should ensure the oil pick up pipe filter is clear of debris, the injectors are fully seated at every service ! I am not on my own with the potential problem and this is an issue Mazda will hope doesn't go Viral.

If this wasn't so catastrophic it would be laughable.. it took the technician 15 minutes to check the injector and a further 20 to remove the sump.

Frustrating really as its a good car otherwise.

Will post outcome later

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - groaver

But Mazda are part owned by Ford whose record is appalling - see CVT issues.

Not anymore they aren't.

Mazda have to stand on their own feet for these issues now.

"From 1979 to 2010, Mazda had a partnership with the Ford Motor Company, who acquired a 7% stake in 1979 and by 1996, owned 33.3% of Mazda. Under the administration of Alan Mulally, Ford gradually divested its stake in Mazda from 2008 to 2010, with Ford currently holding 0% of Mazda stock and severing production as well as development ties."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

Older diesel Mazdas are a real lottery.

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - Robin the Technician

Sorry to hear of your woes with the Mazda. I think you will need to bite the bullet and let the dealership take the engine apart. You have a full service history which is in your favour - so if it has failed due to a manufacturing defect, then Mazda are at fault. However, the vehicle is out of warranty and they can say (legally) that they have fulfilled their warranty obligations - harsh but true. don't get me wrong -I am on your side!!! I had a similar issue with Toyota who would not assist one penny with a known head gasket failure. It was six months past the 3 years warranty - the answer was 'Tough'. Luckily I was supplied with a 12 month secondhand warranty (the car was an ex company car where I work) and that paid for the majority of the cost. I still had to fork out circa £250. Suffice to say the Toyota has been part ex'd for a nice new Kia which of course has 7 years warranty!!!

Would I ever buy another Toyota - never - nor would I recommend one.

Would I ever buy a Mazda - no, not after reading all the tales of woe on here.

I seriously think you should seek advise from a Solicitor who is well versed in motoring issues - that can be a valuable asset.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you get the repairs done for free (as it should be).

These are the views of Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Thanks, received the quote from the Mazda dealer today £1k to remove engine and provide "Mazda UK" with more information "they"need.

At my Cost

An apprentice mechanic could determine the engines fatally wounded from the symptoms. I see this as another disgraceful way to extort more money from me (not withstanding the fact we spent £600 + on the service 800 miles ago) after all, Mazda UK are making the call not me.

Going to take legal advise tomorrow. Regardless of warranties, as I see it The sale of Goods Act clearly requires a product to fit for purpose and perform for a "Reasonable" period of time. I feel under the circumstances 40k miles, four years. Dealer Maintained, All done by the book falls way short of this. When this goes to press (as its will) so will Mazda

To expect an engine to fail so catastrophically with all the due dilligence I have taken fallsway short in there duty of care to supply a vehicle fit for purpose.

Any help and support you can give me would be really appreciated.

Thanks again

st1\:* { BEHAVIOR: url(#ieooui) } @font-face { font-family: Calibri; } @page Section1 {size: 595.3pt 841.9pt; margin: 72.0pt 55.3pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin: 35.4pt; mso-footer-margin: 35.4pt; mso-paper-source: 0; } P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman" } LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman" } DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman" } A:link { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } A:visited { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } P { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; MARGIN-LEFT: 0cm; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0cm; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto } SPAN.GramE { mso-style-name: ""; mso-gram-e: yes } DIV.Section1 { page: Section1 }

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - xtrailman

Although the OP was also asked to pay up front for a strip down i'm sure in the end he didnt, i would contact him through Caravantalk.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/90350-oh-dear/

If you post on the site or PM him i'm sure he will save you a lot of pain.

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - Hamsafar
What about BBC Watchdog?
Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - focussed

I am sure that on this HJ site there is section that deals with how the sale of goods act works in cases like this.

It will tell you that you cannot sue the manufacturer. Why? Because they didn't sell you the car, their dealer, who in law is the vendor, sold you the car. This dealer is the party who is liable to be sued for recompense, not the manufacturer. If the dealer is sued successfully by an aggrieved customer who has suffered a loss as described above, that dealer may in turn take action against the supplier, the manufacturer of the car for supplying faulty goods, this action is a simple paper excercise as the liability has already been proved.

How do I know this? -I have been on the recieving end of it, and the manufacturer realised that if I lost I would be knocking on their door for recompense, so joined the action.

That's how it works folks.

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - Avant

"I am sure that on this HJ site there is section that deals with how the sale of goods act works in cases like this."

Indeed - look at the Ask HJ section - FAQ no. 5.

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - focussed

"I am sure that on this HJ site there is section that deals with how the sale of goods act works in cases like this."

Indeed - look at the Ask HJ section - FAQ no. 5.

Thanks for that avant - my post was to advise all those that think that they can sue a manufacturer that they are dreaming.

Mazda CX7 - Complete engine failure - Happy new year - NOT - Brit_in_Germany

Thanks for that avant - my post was to advise all those that think that they can sue a manufacturer that they are dreaming.

Which in turn leads to a potential problem here that the evidence of faulty goods is being gathered by the supplying dealer (if my understanding is correct) who would be the target for any action. An independent report would be a good idea.

Thanks for the links

Thanks