Ford Fiesta - Brake travel on 63 Model - Ben 10

I test drove a 63 plate Fiesta at a Ford dealership the other day.

Having owned several different models of Focuses, C-Max's and Fiestas, I found the braking a little soft. As I braked the brake pedal seemed to me, to travel a lot further than I usually would expect before the braking kicked in.

When I got back from the drive I asked the Manager who has been driving it from new if she felt the same about it. She said no, and that she didn't think there was any problem.

So my query to you guys is this. Is this braking normal on this new shape model, and a matter of getting used to, or do I have a realistic concern?

Cheers for any replies.

Ford Fiesta - Brake travel on 63 Model - gordonbennet

I'd try another of the same spec and compare, chances of two having the same fault (if it was a fault) is remote.

Don't like the over-servoed sensation of some modern braking systems, SWMBO's C2 VTS was like that, not a lot of travel but you only had to touch the brake in the wet and the ABS would be cutting in, far too powerful and way oversized discs for the weight of the car, quite why it would need discs all round, when it weighed about the same as me after a good Christmas dinner, i haven't a clue, apart from image value....my '72 5.7 litre Mustang Boss stopped reasonably well (ish) on its unservoed all round drum brakes..!.:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 31/12/2013 at 12:06

Ford Fiesta - Brake travel on 63 Model - Peter.N.

Try holding the pedal down, does it go on sinking? if so, probably needs a brake master cylinder.

No. Just took what seemed a bit long to actually apply the brakes. The 2010 Fiesta we have at the moment responds as soon as the pedal is depressed. Their service guy took it out and said he didn't think there was anything wrong. I'd like to hear from anyone that has driven the new shape Fiesta or has one to post if this is the norm or not.

Ford Fiesta - Brake travel on 63 Model - Collos25

For your own peace of mind I would do what has been suggested and try another.

Ford Fiesta - Brake travel on 63 Model - jc2

My 13 reg. Fiesta feels quite normal pedal-wise-ie.no excessive travel but I do find it over-servoed but I'm getting the hang of it now!Put the handbrake on when parked and see what happens to the pedal travel-could be rear brakes haven't settled in yet.

Cheers jc2.

The technician who took it out, said it was ok, but they would have a look at the rear drums prior to picking up. Might just need adjusting or allowed to bed in. Like you said, maybe just overservoed.

Edited by Ben 10 on 01/01/2014 at 22:45

Ford Fiesta - Brake travel on 63 Model - bathtub tom

Cheers jc2.

The technician who took it out, said it was ok, but they would have a look at the rear drums prior to picking up. Might just need adjusting or allowed to bed in. Like you said, maybe just overservoed.

Why oh why do folk buy cars with (what they perceive) to be defects?

I can't remember the number of dealers I've walked away from who've promised 'to fix that before you pick it up'.

If it ain't right, don't buy it!

That's what I'm trying to find out BT. If it is right or not. From those that drive this model of Ford. As I said earlier, I've driven many Fords before, but this was different.

Now either there is something wrong, or could be the way it is. So if anyone has this shape Ford, I wanted to hear from them.

Do you BT percieve this query as a fault? Your post seems a bit of a dig. But I thought this part of the site was to get info on matters technical. If you are that person BT, please inform. Otherwise let others who have knowledge of this model to post. Like jc2 did.

Your post is neither infomative or useful fella.

Just because I compare an older model with a new model and have a little doubt in my mind doesn't mean I have to reject the car on a whim. They might be right. I just needed confirmation here. But if a friendly post to a question is not forthcoming from the likes of you, then no wonder people wont post on this thread.

Aren't we members all bouncing ideas and information off each other? In your case it doesn't feel that way.

Ford Fiesta - Brake travel on 63 Model - alan1302

That's what I'm trying to find out BT. If it is right or not. From those that drive this model of Ford. As I said earlier, I've driven many Fords before, but this was different.

Now either there is something wrong, or could be the way it is. So if anyone has this shape Ford, I wanted to hear from them.

Do you BT percieve this query as a fault? Your post seems a bit of a dig. But I thought this part of the site was to get info on matters technical. If you are that person BT, please inform. Otherwise let others who have knowledge of this model to post. Like jc2 did.

Your post is neither infomative or useful fella.

Just because I compare an older model with a new model and have a little doubt in my mind doesn't mean I have to reject the car on a whim. They might be right. I just needed confirmation here. But if a friendly post to a question is not forthcoming from the likes of you, then no wonder people wont post on this thread.

Aren't we members all bouncing ideas and information off each other? In your case it doesn't feel that way.

BT was asking why you bought a car when you think there may be something wrong with it. If you thought there something wrong why buy it?

I haven't bought it yet. I test drove it. Told the dealership I thought it felt a bit strange. They said there was nothing wrong. I just wanted an owner of the new shape Fiesta to confirm whether me or them were correct about the pedal travel, before I think about buying.

Ford Fiesta - Brake travel on 63 Model - gordonbennet

The problem with opinions is that they vary so much, you might think its too much travel, Joe Soap might think his identical car has lots of travel too, but his may have half the travel of the one you've tested.

Until you jump into an identical car and try it for yourself you won't be sure.