Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - VEC786

I am looking to replace my 2005 taxi 1.9 cdti 120 bhp as I have had enough, replacement engine, headgasket, shockers every so often, electrics, ecu, this sensor that sensor. the list goes on..

not as reliable as my old vectra b 2.0 dti.

Once I put a car on I can have it on for 8 years but sadly these days the cars cannot take the battering as they used to. So I aim for 4/ 5 years, Cannot change every so often as too many fees and tests to pass.

ideally I want to stay from the cdti engine.

what kind of taxi's do you see in your area?

around here it was mainly vauxhall as cheap to buy and cheap replacement parts, but as new ones are coming they are the octavia's/superbs. There is the few avensis 2.0 d4d, the odd honda accord 2.2 cdti.

is skoda really reliable I know the pd engine returns 50+ mpg.

has anyone got a avensis d4d with high mileage or a skoda pd with high mileage.

Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - gordonbennet

Didn't Kia market the last Magentis at taxi drivers, seems perfect on paper, i've seen it and its sister Hyundai Sonata for sale ex taxi with starship mileages.

The most respected (mainly long distance) private hire firm here uses Mercedes E class 220 Diesels, my indy services them from new and i know the cars' owner well, they usually get sold on over 400k miles on with very little work other than servicing needed to reach that, however the maintenance is better than normal and they are driven professionally.

For general purpose hacks round here Eurotaxi is popular as is Octavia, but Toyota Prius are increasing in number too elsewhere, seemingly able to stand colossal mileages with few problems and for local taxi work better than Diesels on fuel.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/12/2013 at 18:46

Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - DirkThrust

THe biggest taxi company around here used the Octavia exclusively but now they're replacing them all with Hyundai i40s

Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - Collos25

Mercedes e220 all the rest are second best.

Thank you for your quick reponse. I would like to add that the "new taxi will" be used car as funds do not allow for a new car.

Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - craig-pd130

Round here (Macclesfield) there are quite a few Vectra C diesels being used, ironically. Also a lot of Octavias and new model Superbs.

A private hire driver I know recently sold his 08 registration Octavia diesel estate with 230,000 miles. He bought it with 40,000 miles up. I'm not certain if it was a 1.9PD or the later 2 litre diesel, but it did have a DSG box.

He says it was reliable -- he had no problems with the engine, injection system or DPF, but it needed a new dual-mass flywheel every 80,000 miles (about £7 - 800 fitted I think, although that might have been the total cost of a service including cambelt etc too -- you'd have to check). He put two on it (at around 85K and 170K) and he reckons it was probably due another one when he sold it.

He's now running a Seat Exeo estate (the one based on the Audi A4) with manual box. He likes the big VAG parts bin.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 27/12/2013 at 20:13

Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - daveyjp
The last three taxis we have used have all been a Toyota Prius.
Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - daveyK_UK

Main 2 companies use Vectra C and the current shape Mondeo

Also seems to be alot of Focus estate's and increasing number of Citroen berlingo multispaces.

Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - Chris79
The local firm we use at work have got 5or 6 hyundai i40 s from what I understand they won't get another. Early clutch failures across all 6 and general problems have put them off. They also run about 5 Chevrolet cruzes and are quite pleased with them. That said that May have the cdti engine in one guise or another?
Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - RT

Most Chevrolets use the old VM diesels, built under licence by Hyundai who no longer use them in their own models. The most recent Chevrolets however use the updated CDTi which like the Vauxhalls originated as a Fiat diesel.

Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - Hamsafar

Where are you as this may have some bearing on the type of journies?

Around here in the city with suburbs and airport trips, they seem to be mostly 5-7 year old Octavias, as though there was a good deal on them at the time.

Maybe they do special leasing options for private hire?

Newer ones seem to be a right mixture, including Superbs, Mondeos, Toyota Corilla, and Prius.

I don't like the Prius at all so haven't paid much attention to it, but if I was a taxi driver, I would look into it quite seriously.

Edited by Hamsafar on 28/12/2013 at 11:09

Thank you for all your replies.

mainly for around town and occasionaly airport runs, I will be paying for all servicing and garage costs so I need a pretty reliable motor with not too many common faults.you mention corolla, do you mean avensis as corolla only went up to 2007 and then was replaced by auris.

Edited by VEC786 on 28/12/2013 at 11:29

do you mean avensis as corolla only went up to 2007 and then was replaced by auris.

do you mean avensis as corolla only went up to 2007 and then was replaced by auris.

Sorry yes.

any skoda or avensis drivers?

any skoda or avensis drivers?

Vauxhall Vectra C - MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - SteveLee

Given the short runs, the Prius is made for that kind of running.

MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - VEC786

What other make/models have people recently been in?

MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - GHSAUNDERS40

What other make/models have people recently been in?

Been in a few previous Passats 1.9 tdi's and a Toyota Verso 2.0 d4d. I run an Auris 2.0 d4d. Very reliable, I do 2500-3000 miles a month in mine. Service intervals at 10k and I do an oil and filter change every 5k. It's now 6 and still no rattles or squeeks. The engine pulls strongly and uses no oil. I can get 45 mpg around town and on a very gentle motorway run can get into the 60's. Overall I get 51.3 mpg over the last 60k. I calculated this using a spreadsheet. It might be worth noting I use she'll v power diesel. The car pulls better and I can get an extra 55 miles per tank vs standard diesel. Again calculated not using the cars computer.
MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - Hamsafar

What about Lexus IS200d? Someone we know picked up a lovely 2007 example for £3.5k recently.

example:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20131009919...g71dp/image-id/949400fa4fcd2348da8426d3397ba40c?logcode=p

Edited by Hamsafar on 03/01/2014 at 19:42

MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - kiss (keep it simple)

I was chatting to the cabbie who took me from Belfast airport and when I mentioned the Prius needing fewer brake replacements due to the regen system he seemed interested, saying that discs and pads were a big expense. I guess the rather small boot would rule it out for holiday airport runs.

although nice looking car, dont want a car with a dpf. and the 2.2 toyota/lexus engine is pront to headgasket issues, its even stated on this website under the bad section.

MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - Avant

Is there anyone around who has experience of driving a diesel taxi with a DPF? I would hope that newer DPFs are better able to cope with city driving than when they were first introduced.

MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - daveyK_UK

the new renault 1.6 diesel unit which nissan are also using looks good.

MOST RELIABLE TAXI PRIVATE HIRE MINICAB - Hamsafar

Check the price of a DPF on www.cats2u.co.uk/ for any cars you are interested in.
They seem relatively cheap these days now there are many pattern parts on sale. In fact, probably the same price as having them hollowed-out and the software reflashed.
Let us know how you get on and what you end up with.

Toyota avensis 2006 belt driven engine won.

picked one up with 80,000 FSH.