Volkswagen Polo IV 2006/7 - Auto Gearbox any good? - csgmart

I'm currently looking at used VW Polos (in need of a 2nd car).

There are some quite good 2006/7 cars with the 1.4 petrol engine available. Some come with the auto gearbox. I've had Polos in the past but only ever manual.

Do you know what type of auto box this is (CVT, DSG etc) and what it's like to drive?

My usual commute is around 1 mile local road, 40 miles motorway and 10 miles A road. Would the Polo automatic box be suited to that type of driving?

Edited by csgmart on 21/12/2013 at 18:07

Volkswagen Polo IV 2006/7 - Auto Gearbox any good? - 72 dudes

The auto in the Polo from that era is IIRC a traditional proper automatic with torque converter. Not the most efficient by today's standards and probably only 4 speed, but for the type of journeys you do, it would be a reasonable choice.

The 1.4 engine coupled to this gearbox would give a relaxed drive with a "bigger car" feel, but don't expect it to feel swift.

Volkswagen Polo IV 2006/7 - Auto Gearbox any good? - Tim wood

Have just bought an early 2009 Mk4 VW POLO 1.4 petrol Automatic Reg BN09PGE, but have so far not acquired a correct Handbook. What Servicing/Maintenance will the Auto Box require ( probably have the IIRC a traditional proper automatic with torque converter.) Tim WORTHING

Volkswagen Polo IV 2006/7 - Auto Gearbox any good? - badbusdriver

Have just bought an early 2009 Mk4 VW POLO 1.4 petrol Automatic Reg BN09PGE, but have so far not acquired a correct Handbook. What Servicing/Maintenance will the Auto Box require ( probably have the IIRC a traditional proper automatic with torque converter.) Tim WORTHING

If you are asking a genuine question, why tag this on to an 8 year old thread, when doing so will make most assume there to be some iminent spam on its way?.

As to the question, I'm not a mechanic but I'd imagine the only maintenance you can do on this box would be to change the oil. But I couldn't tell you if you should.

BTW, assuming your car definitely is a 4th gen Polo, it has a t/c auto.