Quantcast
WIN: A bundle of Christmas prizes, worth more than £1500 Click here to enter today  | No thanks
Dazzling Brake Lights - mikejharvey

Following someone in traffic who insists on holding the car stationary on the footbrake so the brake lights dazzle peircingly, is really annoying. One tip I can pass on is putting main beam on thereby flooding the back of their car with light, which helps much reduce the contrast and discomfort, especially on dark wet nights. This is a bit aggressive though, so I wondered if you had any ideas? I suppose the real answer would be for an EU directive to fit a timed module to new cars so that when it is stationary, and the brake lights applied for , say, more than 10 seconds, a light of equal intensity would illuminate on the instrument binnacle, either that or the airbag should go off.

Dazzling Brake Lights - focussed

I cannot believe that you are serious-no need for these proposed measures at all-use the same procedure as for oncoming bright/badly adjusted/main beam headlights. Just don't look directly at the source of the light, look away to the side. Has worked for me for getting on for 50 years.

Dazzling Brake Lights - peg

Following someone in traffic who insists on holding the car stationary on the footbrake so the brake lights dazzle peircingly, is really annoying. One tip I can pass on is putting main beam on thereby flooding the back of their car with light, which helps much reduce the contrast and discomfort, especially on dark wet nights. This is a bit aggressive though, so I wondered if you had any ideas? I suppose the real answer would be for an EU directive to fit a timed module to new cars so that when it is stationary, and the brake lights applied for , say, more than 10 seconds, a light of equal intensity would illuminate on the instrument binnacle, either that or the airbag should go off.

Hi, I agree as 90% of drivers don't use parking brake when stationary.

Had the misfortune to get stuck behind new Merc estate in rush hour 6ml before I lost him, the car had high intensity LED brake lights the high level one the full length of rear window + large side ones.

The up-market new cars seem to be equiped with them and wil be a big problem as is the over bright head lights.

It could be another EU idea under the guise of safety!!

peg

Dazzling Brake Lights - Hamsafar

Yes, they have facelifted the Honda Civic and fitted these dazzling lights.

They should be made dimmer at night just like DRLs are dimmed when headlights are on to become sidelights. This would be just a software tweak on many cars.

Dazzling Brake Lights - Smileyman

I don't agree - what if driving in poor visiblity eg fog, the reduced light intensiity will reduce the ability of driver behind to see the brake light until too late (crash).

But the idea of a warning light on dashboard telling a stationary driver to engage handbrake and release footbrake could work, provided programmed correctly.

Dazzling Brake Lights - RichT54
Had the misfortune to get stuck behind new Merc estate in rush hour 6ml before I lost him, the car had high intensity LED brake lights the high level one the full length of rear window + large side ones.

I was also following one of these Merc estates this evening and I've never seen such bright brake lights before. They were so intense I had to hold a hand up to shield my eyes and of course the Merc driver didn't use the handbrake once for all the time we were waiting at each set of lights.

I agree there should be a limit to how bright these lights can be

Edited by RichT54 on 20/12/2013 at 17:00

Dazzling Brake Lights - RT

The EU is slow at keeping up with technology - lighting regulations use wattage to limit output, this worked fine when comparing filament lamps but not for HID and LED lamps.

In reality, HID and LED should have been delayed in implementation until all regulations had been changed to use lumens to define limits, not watts - but they weren't so it's all the EU's fault.

Dazzling Brake Lights - retgwte

Actually this is the way automatic transmission drivers are taught to drive in many countries...

I always stop far enough back to see "T&T" (tyres and tarmac) in front of me so I'm never close enough to the car in front to be dazzled, despite wearing glasses - at least that means I have my sight tested, and corrected when necessary every 2 years.

Dazzling Brake Lights - alan1302

I always stop far enough back to see "T&T" (tyres and tarmac) in front of me so I'm never close enough to the car in front to be dazzled, despite wearing glasses - at least that means I have my sight tested, and corrected when necessary every 2 years.

Don't think it comes down to how often you have tyour eyes tested. I wear glasses and have them tested but do have problems with dazzling brake lights as mentioned here.

I thnk it is more down to how sensitive your eyes are to bright lights - which I know mine are.

The human eye has this wonderful facility to reduce the iris size in bright light, vice-versa in low light so that the light intensity on the retina is generally constant - this can be affected by many eye conditions as well as various substance abuses.

Dazzle/glare in traffic conditions is common but by no means usual or normal.

Sadly the UK/EU vision test is pathetically poor - my wife has a serious eye condition and her eyesight is not nearly good enough to continue driving - but in terms of the UK/EU vision test, it's twice as good as the requirement - and some people have never had their eyes tested since the 10 second check on their driving test.

Until we significantly raise the minimum eyesight standard and impose a regular eyesight test requirement it's difficult to research the glare issue seriously.

Edited by RT on 19/12/2013 at 22:05

The human eye has this wonderful facility to reduce the iris size in bright light, vice-versa in low light so that the light intensity on the retina is generally constant - this can be affected by many eye conditions as well as various substance abuses.

It's not designed for high intensity LED lights to be blasted into it though - which is what the OP is talking about.

My eye sight is fine - just sensitive to bright lights that are much too bright to be on a car.

It's not designed for high intensity LED lights to be blasted into it though - which is what the OP is talking about.

My eye sight is fine - just sensitive to bright lights that are much too bright to be on a car.

And yet many drivers don't have your issue - even with cars in front so it's not just the cars.

And yet many drivers don't have your issue - even with cars in front so it's not just the cars.

I've never said it is just the cars - but the lights I belive on some cars are much too bright and there is no need for them to be as bright as they are. Headlight and DRL as well as brake light.

Of course the rules on eyesight should be tightented up as well but dazzling lights would still be a problem or some drivers.

Out of interest my wife would pass the current eyesight test required for driving but she has an eye condition that would not allow her to drive a car when it gets dark or overcast and external lighting comes on.

Edited by alan1302 on 20/12/2013 at 22:59

Dazzling Brake Lights - Happy Blue!

Actually this is the way automatic transmission drivers are taught to drive in many countries...

So true. It is so simple to apply the handbrake and drop the gearbox into neutral.

Dazzling Brake Lights - jamie745

I've waited ages to meet an employee of the European Commission and I think the OP might just be one!

Dazzling Brake Lights - Hamsafar

So true. It is so simple to apply the handbrake and drop the gearbox into neutral.

Not in stop start walking pace traffic - and it defeats the start/stop systems too.
It would be better just to make better lighting standards and ban these ultra-bright pin-prick light sources and have a larger evenly lit surfaces than changing the way you drive to change the way the lights shine. Some are too bright even on normal tailights. The new Yaris is one example.

Dazzling Brake Lights - wrangler_rover

It is (used to be) so simple to apply the handbrake, yes it was in the good old days when cars had a pull up handbrake between the front seats.

Now, it's called progress, they have these cursed electronic parking brakes, if you only want to hold the car for a split second, it's easier to hold the car on the clutch or hold it on the footbrake as it is quicker than applying then releasing an electronic parking brake. Plus the fact electronic parking brakes are expensive to repair when they go wrong, aroud £1,000 to replace a failed parking brake actuator in my 2009 Avensis. In my opinion, electronic parking brakes encourage bad habits, holding a stationary car on the clutch and using the footbrake in preference to the parking brake.

Dazzling Brake Lights - Trilogy

Brake lights, darkness with rain are my bugbear. I thhink most offenders are totally oblivious that they might be carrying out an inconsiderate act. Retaliating with main beam I can't see helping. :(

Brake lights, darkness with rain are my bugbear. I thhink most offenders are totally oblivious that they might be carrying out an inconsiderate act. Retaliating with main beam I can't see helping. :(

Yes, don't think main beam would help. Perhaps a forward facing mirror to reflect their own brake lights back at them?

Dazzling Brake Lights - gordonbennet

There's several important things that are being lost in this, the latest light battle of who has the loudest brake lights.

1. Judging rate of deceleration is far more difficult with LED brake lights, go on follow a current E Class (as mentioned above, they're frankly ridiculous now) and see for yourself.

2. When rear lights are too bright, following drivers vision past the car in front is impeded, so pre warning/planning as any real driver does goes out the window.

3. With the technology now it would have been so easy to make brake lights intensify as the braking gets harder, its all or nothing at the moment.

Edited by Avant on 21/12/2013 at 16:03

There's several important things that are being lost in this, the latest light battle of who has the loudest brake lights.

1. Judging rate of deceleration is far more difficult with LED brake lights, go on follow a current E Class (as mentioned above, they're frankly ridiculous now) and see for yourself.

2. When rear lights are too bright, following drivers vision past the car in front is impeded, so pre warning/planning as any real driver does goes out the window.

3. With the technology now it would have been so easy to make brake lights intensify as the braking gets harder, its all or nothing at the moment.

Agree with this, though some vehicles do have a special indication for heavy braking. On the BMW 1-series I had the brake lights became more intense, and on my current CR-V the hazard lights start flashing.

Edited by Avant on 21/12/2013 at 16:03

Agree with this, though some vehicles do have a special indication for heavy braking. On the BMW 1-series I had the brake lights became more intense, and on my current CR-V the hazard lights start flashing.

Intensifying is step in the right direction, but i was more thinking along the lines of the high level brake light....i'm also in two minds about hazard light flashing, to my mind indicators should only mean one thing when a vehicle is moving, intention to turn or change lane.

There's no reason why the high level should light up for normal braking, and should extinguish completely when stationary by default (this would alleviate much of the OP's valid complaint), it would have been much better if the high level had only fired up at a pre set rate of deceleration, or brake pedal pressure, and pulsed or increased to super bright (possibly additional bulbs) at full braking.

This could easily have been a gentlemans agreement between manufacturers years ago.

As for the DRL battle, don't get me started on those for goodness sake, luckily those fitted to my lorry are switchable, and unless the prevalent visibility calls for them, they are permanently turned off.

Edited by Avant on 21/12/2013 at 16:02

Dazzling Brake Lights - Andrew-T

Unfortunately the whole thing is the result of the simple notion that if lights-on make a vehicle more visible, more and brighter lights will make it more visible. No-one has refined the concept to take account of darkness and other circumstances - e.g fog, braking and other everyday situations.

Not least the effect on other drivers (and all road users) who have to face those lights.

Not least the effect on other drivers (and all road users) who have to face those lights.

Isn't that the truth, its getting to the quite painful stage now, be wearing me Polaroids for night driving at this rate,

Apologies Avant, i usually edit the previous message right down to the bare minimum, clearly i forgot to do that with my above posting, please use your powers of mod editing to do the job.

Dazzling Brake Lights - Avant

No problem, although it wasn't critical!

Ask Honest John

Value my car

Amount to borrow
Sorry. The minimum loan amount is £1000
To pay back over

My credit score

Best available rate 9.20%

Total repayment £9,304.93

Total cost of credit £1,804.93

£155.08

60 monthly payments

Apply now

Representative example

The Representative APR is 13.2% (fixed) so if you borrow £7,500 over 4 years at a rate of 13.2% p.a (fixed) you will repay £199.21 per month and repay £9562.20 in total.