Diesel Auto for under £4500, What would you buy? - jctasker

My partner only has an automatic license and she wants to upgrade her 2003 Toyota Yaris. The yaris has been a great little car. Its reliable, Great on fuel (40mpg average around town) and nice to drive. Shes just looking for something abit bigger and classy!

I want a diesel for economy and we have £4500 max to spend. Now i work for a Mercedes dealership and speaking to the tech guys i should avoid semi autos, even audis great DSG gearbox, and CVT gearboxs. My sisters Micra CVT needed a £2000 gearbox rebuild so i can understand that! Ive also driven many horrible semi autos (was a driver for prestige garage) and although ive driven many great VAG DSG cars ive heard the horror stories and any mechanic i speak to says steer clear!

Her first choice is an 2003 onwards Audi A3 2.0 TDi DSG, great car wrong gearbox.

Second choice is 2003 onwards Audi A4 1.9 TDi multitronic which again i like but its CVT

Ive worked with Mercedes all my career and dislike older C classes because of there poor quality, rust issues and old mans image

so we are running out of options! I like VW Boras, all BMWs and theres not much else

opinions?

Diesel Auto for under £4500, What would you buy? - Happy Blue!

There was not a great market for smaller diesel automatics a few years ago, so cars selling for up to £4,500 are likely to be large older models of the German, French or Volvo variety or the DSG variety from VAG.

Best to use the search function in Autotrader to narrow down some options. You might be surprised. There are 271 cars with diesel engines, automatic gearboxes and for sale between £3,500 and £5,000 on Autotrader. Quite a few Vauxhalls with regular slushboxes. But not much else with a slushbox.

Have a look.

Diesel Auto for under £4500, What would you buy? - retgwte

you want a hyundai i30 auto diesel, but i dont think any are old enough to be cheap enough yet

Diesel Auto for under £4500, What would you buy? - bathtub tom

You don't mention the annual mileage.

I think you'll find anything less than 15K/year tends to rule out a modern diesel because of possible problems with DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters), particularly in an urban environment.

Diesel Auto for under £4500, What would you buy? - Big John

"you want a hyundai i30 auto diesel, but i dont think any are old enough to be cheap enough yet"

Might be worth looking at the Hyundai i30 1.3 PETROL though - could be the right price and economy not too bad - a friend of mine has managed over 40mpg over 2 years of ownership. Good old fashioned reliable traditional auto box.