Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - Robvwpolo

Got a VW polo 2002-2005 model, 1.2 petrol engine, chain driven oil pump and the car has covered 70k miles. Was driving along and the oil pressure warning light came on, along with quite a large loss of power having to rev it more than usual.

So far, I've done the obvious things; changed the oil and filter and changed the oil pressure switch which made no difference and didn't put out the light. In fact I had left the car for a day after I carried out the changes and the car stalled twice which was quite unusual. Trying to find the problem I removed the sump, the oil in there had no sign of any bearing wear (I was told little bits of metal would be present in the sump if this happened) and removed the oil pump. Inspected and took apart the pump, cleaned all the parts including the pick up, strainer and pressure relief valve and all looked ok so fitted the pump back on. Managed to borrow a friends oil pressure gauge and tried that out and now it hasn't got any pressure at all.

I'm a trainee mechanic and inexperienced but attempting to rectify the problem myself to save the labour costs of taking it to a garage so any help would be appreicated. Thanks

Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - bathtub tom

Any rattling/knocking/banging noises, particularly when the light first came on?

No not any noises, just the loss of power. When it first came on I originally thought I was in the wrong gear. It still starts now and ticks over without any unusual noise but don't want to rev it due to having no oil pressure

Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - Collos25

These engines suffer from the timing chain breaking have you checked if this is in one piece. .

I checked the chain from what I could see from underneath but all looked fine. I've just recently heard about this being a common problem though so I'm going to take the sump of again and check more thouroughly. Would it cause any damage if I rotated the oil pump sprocket? Just so I can check all of it.

Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - RichT54

These engines suffer from the timing chain breaking have you checked if this is in one piece. .

Be some sort of miracle if it could run with a broken timing chain.

I've had a breif check of the chain but it looked fine from what I could see it's definetly not snapped. I'm going to inspect it more closely tomoro

Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - NaCN

I understand that the common issue reported with the timing chains on these engines is to do with the hydraulic tensioner. If this isn't working properly, then the chain can jump a tooth (or few), but not necessarily snap.

When the tensioner failed on my mum's 2003 Polo, the engine wouldn't start (crankshaft position sensor reported that all was not well).
Mine (2002 1.2, AZQ engine) was pretty thirsty on oil, but did take a fair amount of abuse.

May not be the cause of the oil pressure issue, but worth keeping an eye on the chain/tensioner after an event of low pressure.

So far (Fingers crossed) the hydraulic tensioner hasn't failed as the engine still starts and ticks over without any unushual noises, presuming it wouldn't if it had failed. Are there any tell tale sales of the chain jumping a tooth by just visually checking?

Thanks for the advice and heads up.

Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - NaCN

Couldn't tell you what to look for, I'm afraid! Interested to see how it turns out :)

Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - Collos25

It just goes to show a little knowedge is a dangerous thing.before a timing chain breaks it can jump a sprocket ,stop driving the oil pump and the tensioner can go causing all sorts of problems.

Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - RichT54

It just goes to show a little knowedge is a dangerous thing.before a timing chain breaks it can jump a sprocket ,stop driving the oil pump and the tensioner can go causing all sorts of problems.

Ah! sorry, I didn't realise that when you said "check it is in one piece" you did't mean it.

Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - gordonbennet
Ah! sorry, I didn't realise that when you said "check it is in one piece" you did't mean it.

-:))))))

Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - elekie&a/c doctor
There are 2 timing chains on these ,both driven from the crankshaft sprocket .one drives the cam shafts and the other drives the oil pump.So is the oil pump drive rotating correctly?

Thanks for the reply. May sound like a stupid question but as I say I'm inexperienced. How do you check if the oil pump drive is rotating correctly?

Looking from underneath with the sump off I can only see one chain?

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering is there a tell tale sign of the chain jumping tooths or any other tell tale sign of hydraulic tensioner problems? I'm wondering if you can turn the chain round with a rachet on the sprocket and check the operation and condition of the teeth. Never done it before so don't want to break anything

Volkswagen Polo IV - Oil Pressure Problem - galileo

elekieac's post above says there are 2 chains, one of which drives the oil pump, so is the oil pump drive intact and working? Also, as a trainee mechanic, can you not seek advice from your trainer?

Edited by galileo on 19/12/2013 at 13:52

I can seek advice but they can't come and look at it them selves only advice over the phone, From what I can see, the oil pumps driven from one chain (that runs of a sprocket from the crank but not keyed in with the timing) It looks fine but I do need to inspect it further but I need more information on what to look for.