Toyota Avensis D4D - Which Avensis to buy? - Astrotara

Have been given conflicting advice. Is it true that the pre 2000 Turbo Diesel engine is by far the best one they made. Have been told several times to avoid the D4D and the 2.2 because it is noisy and has fly wheel problems. Some one says that the 2000 to 2003 D4D is much more reliable than the later models that are more computerised and are more easily serviced and repaired. At the moment I am torn between an immaculate showroom condition 2002 D4D with 108000 on the clock priced at £1600 or a 2006 also low mileage but with a few scratches on the body for only a couple of hundred pounds more. Then there is a really nice V reg. 2 litre diesel Corrolla that has only done 62,000, wonder if that would tow my caravan as well as the Avensis.

Toyota Avensis D4D - Which Avensis to buy? - sandy56
I ran an AURIS with the 2l D4D diesel for 4 years and never had a problem with anything in the car. It is noisy to start when cold but once on the move it is fine and a reasonably powerful engine. It was a smooth fast cruiser.
Toyota Avensis D4D - Which Avensis to buy? - GHSAUNDERS40
I ran an AURIS with the 2l D4D diesel for 4 years and never had a problem with anything in the car. It is noisy to start when cold but once on the move it is fine and a reasonably powerful engine. It was a smooth fast cruiser.

I have to agree, I run one and do just shy of 30k miles per year. A lot quicker than it's 126 Bhp would suggest. I average 53mpg on my 93 mile commute per day.
Toyota Avensis D4D - Which Avensis to buy? - Avant

That was a lovely engine with a healthy power-to-weight ratio in the Auris. But Toyota GB, who seem to have a death wish as far as the Auris is concerned, stopped offering it. They also won't let us have the 1.8 petrol which I've hired abroad and is another good match for the Auris.

Toyota Avensis D4D - Which Avensis to buy? - GHSAUNDERS40

That was a lovely engine with a healthy power-to-weight ratio in the Auris. But Toyota GB, who seem to have a death wish as far as the Auris is concerned, stopped offering it. They also won't let us have the 1.8 petrol which I've hired abroad and is another good match for the Auris.

Agreed Avant. I'm not entirely convinced the hybrid will offer the mpg I need on the motorway without nursing it along constantly. As for the 1.4 d4d, in my opinion it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Your correct, it world be a wise move to install the 1.8 and 2.0 d4d in the current shape. I'd buy another in a heartbeat then as in the right spec and colour the new Auris is a good looking car I'm hoping that they will install the 1.6 d4d ( bmw engine) into the Auris, as Toyota announced this week the will be fitting it to the verso from 2014 onwards.