Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - scfc_151
Im looking at possibly upgrading my estate car and really like the look of the a4 avant b7 model. I think this goes from 2005-2008. I definatly want a diesel and like the idea of a quattro.

I know that there is no DPF on the 140bhp model but there is on the 170bhp. Ideally I dont want a DPF on the car for the risk of it clogging up.

Are all the quattro models 170bhp or is there a 140bhp without the DPF?
Ill probably have around £6000 to spend so I dont know if this would be enough for a good model. If anyone else has any opions of other a4 avant models id appreciate it

Cheers
Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - dieselnut

This would be the 2.0l PD engine. They suffer oil pump drive failure & will lunch the engine if & when it fails. Some fail early, others go on & on, Its like driving around with a time bomb not knowing when it will go off. . Either stick to the 1.9 or spend a bit more on a CR engined example, although all CR have a DPF.

Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - A3 A4

Agree, stick with the 1.9, I was lucky to find a 45k '02 B6 example three years back for just £6k, bar an alternator clutch pulley failing, I've added another 40k.

50-60 mpg, DPF and complex electronics free hope to keep it going for the duration.

What about the Seat Exeo ST? There are some early examples around for not much more than your budget.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-60-SEAT-EXEO-2-0TDI-143-ST-TECH-LEATHER-NAV-BOSE-PHONE-PDC-STUNNING-/231105862265?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35cefb9a79

Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - scfc_151
Great info thanks!

I must admit I saw an exeo at work from the side and genuinly thought it was an a4 for a second! I do quite like them just not as keen on the back end but they seem good value for money!

Although its got a dpf what is a cr example of this engine? (Forgive my ignorence)

Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - dieselnut

" Although its got a dpf what is a cr example of this engine? (Forgive my ignorence) "

Sorry, I mean Common Rail engine. This is the 2.0l engine that superceeded the PD & was introduced from around 2008. Its just as economical & so far seems to have proved itself to be very reliable, but all the CR engines do have a DPF. I have one in a Passat estate. I do quite a few short local trips with the odd long journey & havn't had any problem with the DPF. The Exeo does seem even better value than the Passat although not so many around.

Here is one on Autotrader although a bit up on the miles.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311039651411/sort/default/usedcars/make/seat/fuel-type/diesel/page/1/transmission/manual/body-type/estate/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/model/exeo/radius/1501/postcode/cw26py/price-to/6000?logcode=p

Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - Eddie.R

Hi, nice car, in fact i was looking for that same model:

I found a good selection in this site:

(Link removed - no free advertising.)

Very recommendable.

Good luck, let me know how you get along.

Best Eddie.

Edited by Avant on 04/12/2013 at 17:14

Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - skidpan

Good luck, let me know how you get along.

Best Eddie.

You could probably tell Eddie while you were at Mitula Cars. Its cleary an advert. The link needs removing.

Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - thunderbird

When we bought the wifes last car we looked at the Exeo since it appeared to offer stunning value for what was an A4. But compared to the competition like the Mondeo, Passat, Avensis, Ceed the load area was very small, even the BMW 3 series tourer had a bigger boot..

Ok if you want a lifestyle estate but no good for loads.

Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - idle_chatterer

I'd echo other posts here, I had a 2007 A4 B7 170PD Avant and I would advise anyone to avoid this engine. It is thirsty (struggled to give 40mpg), coa*** and very peaky (gutless below 2000rpm and then delivers all 170PS in the next 1000 rpm). in my experience. It has quite a thirst for expensive oil too IITRC.

It has a DPF too although I've never had a problem with any DPF since my cars did regular motorway runs.

Mine was FWD and frankly had too much torque, Quattro would be far nicer but probably even thirstier ?

I drove the 115PS 1.9PD when mine was in for a service (and a new clutch under warranty) and I'd agree that this was a far more pleasant car to drive, it didn't feel underpowered either and in my limited experience it was considerably more economical despite having similar 'on paper' economy to the 170PD.

AFAIK the CR engines were never fitted in the B7, they are far nicer than any PD in my experience (although I do have a soft spot for the ubiquotous 1.9). They are available in the almost identical Seat Exeo in various states of tune.

The A4 B7 Avant is not particularly roomy if you need a big estate, the boot is practical but I'd say that rear legroom isn't generous. I replaced mine with a E91 330d Touring and this had more passenger space albeit with a possilby even smaller boot. The engine and RWD chasiss were in a different league of course and economy was actually better than the A4.

The A4's interior is very well put together but little touches like a glovebox light were optional extras even on a GBP 50K S4 believe it or not....

Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - Avant

As well as the SEAT Exeo, look at the Skoda Octavia - again either the 1.9 PD or 2.0 common-rail diesel. I had an A4 Avant some years ago and loved it, but unless you want the V6 engine (I did) there's little it can do that the (much roomier) Octavia can't. You can get a 4x4 Scout version if you want.

Audi A4 Avant - Which a4 avant should I look at? - christo

We have owned an A4 Avant for the last 4.5 years and I have to say its one of the best cars I have owned (and I`ve owned a few.....). It`s a 2006 2.0tdi with 137k miles and has been very reliable with only servicing required during our ownership. I`ve have achieved 74mpg on one run up the A140 at 45mph average speed. It usually acheives between 50 and 64mpg, and I cannot see myself selling it! It has a very hard wearing leather interior and although it1s not the biggest estate car out there, its a very hard act to follow.

Hope you get what what you are looking for, but I cannot paraise our Audi enough!