Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - markgriff1
Hi I've just bought a 2012 Blue Motion Passat estate, the advertised figures are around 51mpg/61mpg/72mpg, However I'm personally struggling to get above an average max best of 48mpg from a mixture of motorway and town driving. A full tank of diesel is costing me around £85, for which I've just got 570 miles from full to empty, personally I was expecting quite a bit more, am I expecting too much?... Can other Passat drivers with a similar 2.0 litre blue motion engine let me know your experiences fuel wise?

Having filled it up this morning it's now advising a range of 540 miles, and that is from Completley full.

Many thanks in advance.
Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - skidpan

Forget the official figures, they are only for tax and comparison with other cars, tells you that in all brochures.

48 mpg from a big car like the Passat in mixed use is excellent. When I buy a car I take the combined figure and deduct 20% off it, that is what I expect, a bit either way and its not far off the mark. Take 20% off 60.1 mpg and you get 48.1 mpg, exactly what you are getting.

Basically your expectations have been unrealistic. We has a similar sized Mondeo Estate,did 38 mpg in mixed use which I was happy with, exactly 20% off the official figure.

Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - markgriff1
Thanks for your knowledge... Appreciated, just wanted to be sure it was not an engine problem. How much does your tank cost to fill and what are you getting miles wise from a full tank?
Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - skidpan
How much does your tank cost to fill and what are you getting miles wise from a full tank?

No idea. Put £40 a time, keeps us going a couple of weeks, probably 320 to 330 miles.

Not a good idea keep filling the tank IMHO, its loads of weight to carry around and carrying weight wastes fuel.

Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - Collos25

Especially diesel it weighs more than petrol.

Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - Brit_in_Germany

Your figures are in line wih those on HJ's RealMPG page.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volkswagen/passat-2011

Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - craig-pd130

A 'real' 48mpg measured brim to brim is pretty good for a 1600kg family barge in mixed driving, especially in the current low temps which increase consumption.

As mentioned, ignore the advertised figures, the test routine from which they are obtained is forced on the manufacturers and bears little relation to real-world motoring. Knock about 15 - 20% off those and you get close to the truth.

Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - dieselnut

I have the non Bluemotion diesel Passat & usually better your consumption by at least 10%, but my driving style is gentle on the gas, 70 max on the motorway, & change up around 2k unless extra acceleration required. Driving style affects economy more than anything else. Get into a high gear quickly & read the road ahead easing off the throttle approaching hazards etc rather than braking.

Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - gordonbennet

Dieselnut is quite right, anticipation is all but terrain makes a difference too, if you encounter lots of junctions with uphill climbs away then lots of fuel will be burned.

Just such a regular hard run will see my lorry down to below 6mpg where it averages around 9.4.

Keeping speed down helps enormously, you hit a lot more resistance at 85 then you do at 65.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/12/2013 at 10:58

Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - Peter.N.

I would agree, I have a very gentle driving style, not much above 60 mph and 2000 rpm and can get 60+ mpg from my C5 and 406 estates on reasonably long journeys, the C5 has averaged 57.7 mpg over 4000 miles but I do only tend to use it on long journeys.

Volkswagen Passat - fuel economy for 2.0 litre Passat blue motion - Paul Haynes

As a salesman of 25 years plus and constantly on the road it is a constant challenge to achieve mpg. I have driven nothing but Diesel motors since my 309 back in 1992, no turbo. Because of the way fuel is reclaimed, IE pence per mile, you need to be mindful to break even, possibly profit. Break even point was average 50 mpg, every mile per gallon above was profit, but in order to achieve this my driving style had to adapt. I found that harsh braking and rapid acceleration were very expensive, between lights etc, keeping revs below 2000 was a must, coasting down hills when ever possible.

This all sounds mundane stuff but once established is second nature, government figures are produced on sterile rolling roads with little resistance or onboard weight.

My expectations are at least 70-75mpg for motorway driving and 50 mpg around town.

Currently driving a 2009 blue motion passatt estate. Which I ensure pays it's way when it comes to fuel.

If mpg is of importance, driving style must change, if not then put your foot down.