Vauxhall Tigra 1999 1.4 - Tigra overheating and losing water - CarolineRafferty

My Tigra oveheated and the temperature guage went above the red line. I checked the water level and the tank was completely empty. I stopped and topped the tank up, however the next day the tank was completely empty again.

I don't think the problem is with the head gasket as the oil has not mixed with the water. I think the problem may be with a hose. The water is leaking from the back of the engine and I have been advised that the engine needs to be removed to get to the source of the leak.

Can anyone advise on this, I have searched the forums but can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks
Caroline

Vauxhall Tigra 1999 1.4 - Tigra overheating and losing water - alan1302

The Tigra is based on the Corsa and that has a problem sometimes with the heater matrix leaking - I know as mine did! Could certainly be that - have you check for wet carpets in the front footwells and behind?

Vauxhall Tigra 1999 1.4 - Tigra overheating and losing water - RT

The Nova/Corsa engines could also have head gasket failure where the coolant leaked into the cylinders - where of course it evaporates during combustion and never shows in the oil.

Vauxhall Tigra 1999 1.4 - Tigra overheating and losing water - Peter.N.

If the head gasket is leaking it will be blowing coolant out of the fillercap/overflow pipe, check round the cap for signs of antifreeze residue, usually white, you could also run the overflow pipe into a container to check. It won't necessaraly display any other symptoms, the problem is usually just combustion gasses leaking into the cooling system.

Vauxhall Tigra 1999 1.4 - Tigra overheating and losing water - RT

If the head gasket is leaking it will be blowing coolant out of the fillercap/overflow pipe, check round the cap for signs of antifreeze residue, usually white, you could also run the overflow pipe into a container to check. It won't necessaraly display any other symptoms, the problem is usually just combustion gasses leaking into the cooling system.

Probably but not always - depends which part of the gasket has failed.

Vauxhall Tigra 1999 1.4 - Tigra overheating and losing water - Collos25

If the HG had not gone it probably has by now.