Most economical small car - Tony44
My daughter is looking for a car for shopping/school runs, etc.
She will probably be driving no more than 10 miles each way, twice a day, mainly through town and slow moving traffic.

Mpg economy is paramount - she doesn't particularly want a diesel, but I suppose for this type of driving it would probably be better? A small 4 door hatch would be OK.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Thanks
Tony
Most economical small car - andymc {P}
What's her budget? Is she looking for a new/nearly new/used car?
Most economical small car - DavidHM
And why is economy so important? At low mileage, maintenance, depreciation and so on are going to outweigh fuel economy by quite a bit.

Shall I be the first to recommend the Yaris D4D with free insurance then? £7649 for the S, £8479/£8979 for the GS 3/5 door from www.ukcarbroker.co.uk/toyotaprices.htm

That'll probably have the lowest overall running costs, including depreciation, and should give 67 mpg in theory. Also look at the new Micra, which is slightly less economical (65 mpg) but a bit more characterful and better equipped.
Most economical small car - KB.
David HM,

The theoretical mpg of the Yaris D4D is indeed as you say, however in a mix of local bits and bobs + 12 mile each way drive to work which includes some waiting in traffic, our D4D CDX does 58 mpg almost every time. However when we went to Devon from London very early one mornng in perfect, quiet conditions, it did 56 mpg....was expecting something in the seventies - I really was taking it easy and didn't stop once.

Have posted my views on the car here several times before, so won't repeat them, save to say that, provided you don't need masses of boot space, its a cracker!

BTW, Have much respect for your informed and sensible posts to this site.

KB.
Most economical small car - Tony44
Probably used, around £8000.

Tony
Most economical small car - Marcus
Tony,
For £8,000 you have a huge choice for a new, not used, small car. However I agree with David - many people have a fixation about mpg.

It would appear your daughter will cover approx 6,000 miles a year in urban driving. If we assume that 45mpg is achievable in a small car, the cost of fuel over a 3 year period would be approx £1,370. If an average of 55mpg could be achieved - a significant increase - she would save about £240 over 3 years. Not a large sum in the overall cost of running an £8k car for 3 years.

The Yaris is a particularly good bet.

Marcus
Most economical small car - SteveH42
If you aren't too bothered about toys, you can get a basic petrol Yaris for around £5k on 51 plates. I get around 35-40mpg on my 3 mile run to work, and up to 55 on longer runs in 30/40 limits in clear traffic. As others have pointed out, depreciation usually exceeds fuel cost savings so you are probably better going for a year or so old car that has already suffered initial depreciation.

No reason to spend £8k unless you really want to - you can get something perfectly servicable for less and spend the rest on a holiday.
Most economical small car - andymc {P}
I'd probably go along with David - the Yaris is one of the more versatile and economical diesel superminis. Sliding rear seat and lots of handy storage space make it quite functional and family-friendly as well. Reliability will not be a problem with the Yaris either. The Renault Clio dci is nice to drive and well-equipped, especially in Dynamique trim, but doesn't have the same amount of interior space front or rear as rivals - still, insurance group 3 keeps costs down and it's excellent on safety equipment. Skoda Fabia is one of the nicest to drive and is very roomy, but has a bit less kit unless you pay for higher spec, and the more economical diesel unit is tedious. The new Ibiza diesel would also be a strong contender but won't be available used as yet, likewise (probably) the new Fiesta. I don't know if the new Micra would be within your budget or not. It'll have the same engine as the Clio.

Actually, the Clio, Yaris and Ibiza all offer free insurance right now if bought as new cars from a main dealer.

Ones I'd avoid - the 206 because of the driving position, same goes for the Punto. Polo is too expensive, Saxo too awful for words, C3 let down by trim quality. Previous-shape Fiesta has no rear space to speak of and the diesel engine is very rough compared to the new breed.

Good luck!