2006 Ford Focus 1.6 - Ford Foucs dipped beam not working on one side - SimonDe

Hi,

I've got a 2006 Ford Focus and the drivers side dipped beam has stopped working. I've changed the bulb and the fuse but still no luck. I was thinking it could be the relay but if it was would that not affect both sides? I might try swapping it with the full beam relay later to see if that one works. I do have a multi meter but have never really used it on car electics before so any help with that much appreciated!

Simon

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 - Ford Foucs dipped beam not working on one side - Ordovices

This may not be much help, but do you really need two headlights? There are hundreds around here who get by with just one.

err... not sure if that is a serious answer or not... Yes, I'd like two as driving round with only half the road lit isn't ideal...

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 - Ford Foucs dipped beam not working on one side - elekie&a/c doctor

It cant be the relay as it power both sides.Are you sure you have checked the correct fuses and bulb?

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 - Ford Foucs dipped beam not working on one side - Don21

Try the bulb & relay from the passenger side headlight & if the headlight still does not work then it could be the wiring. Or worse case senario you buy a drivers headlight. To keep the cost as cheap as possible try these guys http://www.whatpart.co.uk/ford-focus-headlight-driverside-front-parts.html

Edited by Don21 on 21/11/2013 at 17:09

Thanks for your reply. Am I right in thinking there is just one relay for both left and right dipped beams and one for main beam? If there is only one, could it be possible that it is only working on the circuit for one light?

I have another new bulb (Hlafords were doing buy one get one free!) so can try swapping that too.

Well, I swapped the bulb for a new one so I guess that would be working. I swapped round the fuses for the left and right unit and looking at the manual I'm sure I got the right ones.

Some extra info I forgot earlier, it stopped working a few days ago and not long after (before I had chance to buy a new bulb) I had to flash my lights - the dipped beam came back on. I thought that had fixed it but next time I drove the car it was back to not working. I'm not sure if that affects anything or not.

I thought the same about the relay but after eliminating the bulbs and fuses I'm not sure what else I can try. I was wondering if somehow the relay was only woring on the circuit to the left dipped beam and not the right. I'm going to try swapping the relay with the full beam one anyway to see what happens unless anyone thinks that is a bad idea!

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 - Ford Foucs dipped beam not working on one side - elekie&a/c doctor

One relay does the dip both sides and one relay does main both sides,so it cant be the relay.

Thanks for the reply! I'm guessing it must be a wiring issue then? I know there is a connector on the back of the headlight from the main wiring loom and then a sepearate plug to the back of the bulb. I guess the first thing to check is that I'm getting 12v to the headlight (which I must be at some point as the full beam, side and indicators all work) and then at the actual bulb. Any idea how I can do this? I have a multimeter, not terribly sure how to use it to test for this though!

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 - Ford Foucs dipped beam not working on one side - Cyd

One relay does the dip both sides and one relay does main both sides,so it cant be the relay.

you sure? if it's a DPST relay, with one light per pole, then one side only could be faulty.

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 - Ford Foucs dipped beam not working on one side - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Some extra info I forgot earlier, it stopped working a few days ago and not long after (before I had chance to buy a new bulb) I had to flash my lights - the dipped beam came back on. I thought that had fixed it but next time I drove the car it was back to not working. I'm not sure if that affects anything or not.

That sounds like a sticking relay - possibly caused by spiked contacts. Just take the relay out, tap it a few times and try it back in. Pity they're sealed! Wouldn't it be nice if you could flip the cover off and clean the contacts?

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 - Ford Foucs dipped beam not working on one side - Ordovices

not sure if that is a serious answer or not... Yes, I'd like two as driving round with only half the road lit isn't ideal...

No, tongue firmly in cheek. Just pleased (surprised) to hear that someone other than me could give a s***.

Edited by Ordovices on 22/11/2013 at 09:55

Thanks for everone's responses! So it turns out the problem was...

...Halfords sold me a bulb that was already blown!

Yes, I know, it's obvious but you would think that a new sealed bulb out the packet would just work! I tested the feed to the back of the bulb this morning and was seeing a steady 12v but still no light. I then had a close look at the bulb and you can probably guess the rest! Fortuntely when I bought the bulb they were doing a BOGOF offer so I popped in the second bulb they gave me and all is now well. Went to Halfords and they replaced the bulb for me. Still doesn't aswer the question as to why the original bulb started to work again for a few seconds but I'm just happy to be able to see where I'm going again!!

Edited by SimonDe on 24/11/2013 at 21:00

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 - Ford Foucs dipped beam not working on one side - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Yes-- Halogen bulbs can go 'intermittent' as they fail. I've had two like that.