uk car discount - any good? - JSalting

Hello,

I'm wondering whether any forum users have had any experience with the above broker they'd be willing to share. I'm interested in the new Suzuki S Cross which uk-car-discount offer at a very substantial discount compared to dealers' list prices. However, there doesn't seem to be very much info about this broker, the most recent posts on this forum date from as far back as 2007. Has anyone used them more recently, and if so what has been your experience? I'm aware uk-car-discount advertise regularly on this site's 'Best deals' section but I'm still a bit twitchy about ordering without recommendation, so I'll be very grateful for any feedback.

uk car discount - any good? - oldtoffee

The posts from 2007 don't flatter them so I'd be quite careful. I see that carfile and drivethedeal don't offer any deals on Suzuki so I'd think that strange and be a bit more careful.

There's a batch of 5 star glowing recommendations if you check out the review centre but the last page doesn't read too well so that would discourage me a bit.

If all you have to do is pay a small deposit and you can do that on a credit card then you're pretty well covered but anything else and I'd walk. On the plus side they have decent set of financials and show a decent cash position which for a motor trade business is a tad unusual.

See if HJ drops in and can personally recommed or otherwise.

uk car discount - any good? - daveyK_UK

hi,

what is the deal they are offering?

I have strongly considered the new Suzuki SX4 S-Cross as a replacement for the Citroen Berlingo multispace.

However, I am siding more and more towards the new Ford Tourneo connect MPV

If Ford had not brought out the nw tourneo connect MPV , then I would probably have gone for a SX4 S-Cross.

That combined with my local citroen dealer who only offer £1500 of list price on a new Berlingo multispace and told me there was 'no way' i could get a bigger discount anywhere else.

How ironic, the dealer 20 miles away ofered me £3,000 off without even getting into any real details.

Anyway, I fancy a change, so its the Ford Tourneo Connect MPV when they start to arrive in January.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 21/11/2013 at 00:53

uk car discount - any good? - skidpan

The deals UK Car Discounts are simply staggering, almost £5000 off the Hyundai i40 136 PS estate (which the Mrs is considering) bringing the price down to under £16000.

Carfile (who I bought a car via earlier this year) are only knocking £1600 off and Drive the deal are only knocking £2800 off so it worries me how UK Car Discounts can undercut them to such a large amount.

But UK Car Discounts break to golden rules I have always applied to brokers and the rules that Honest John also advises which are only use a broker that takes no money,i.e. they simply introduce you to the dealer who completes the transaction and who you can speak too to get updates on delivery etc. Paying the broker can be dangerous if they do not pass that money to the dealer after delivery, you will not legally own the car.

But the really bizzarre thing is Honest John allows them to advertise on this site, wonder why that is when they break his rules.

Hi there oldtoffee, DaveyK_OK and skidpan, and thank you for your replies.

Exactly my thoughts, oldtoffee and DaveyK_UK! The discounts they are offering are so eye-watering as to be suspicious. I wouldn't have hesitated if it was drivethedeal as these guys get excellent reviews, but I don't think I'll take it any further with uk-car-discount...

On a different note, I test-drove the S Cross (1.6 petrol) today and overall I got a positive impression. The only gripe (and it's a small one) is that I found the steering a bit too light for my liking. Otherwise, a pretty comfortable car and a good all-rounder although nothing stood out as exceptionally good.

I've got a question, though, I would greatly appreciate your advice on. While discussing lead times with the salesperson, he said that they have a car the colour and specification I wanted in stock that I could obviously get sooner than a factory order. I didn't think about it at the time but later remembered that there was a car of that colour and spec at the forecourt. The car must have been lying around for some time as the alloy wheels looked rusty. I will confirm with the salesperson tomorrow if that was indeed the car he meant, however, if that is the case, is it wise to agree to buy a car that has been lying in the forecourt or will I be better off placing a fresh factory order?

uk car discount - any good? - bathtub tom

>> the alloy wheels looked rusty.

Allot wheels don't rust!

So they don't, right, ok. Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot here, but what is the orangey colour on some alloy wheels underneath the wheel cap? I've noticed that most are like that although some look new and shiny.

uk car discount - any good? - Galad

FiL bought a car but had to wait to receive the V5 for a year after purchase right up to the week that the road tax had to be renewed. Called broker over 20 times and given promises that it was 'in the post' but alwaysnfobbed off. Turns out that for a year FiL was driving illegally, and possibly uninsured, as he was not the registered owner. Lesson learnt and will never buy a car again in this way.

I understand that these brokers hang on to the V5s to get the maximum commission from the manufacturers. Despicable.

>>>but what is the orangey colour on some alloy wheels underneath the wheel cap?

Possibly a bit of surface rust from the hub rinsing off onto the alloys or the metal clips (if present) on the centre caps rusting if it has been standing around a while. Nothing much to worry about but a close inspection will reassure.

Hi Galad, thanks for the feedback, yes I've heard that some online brokers hang on to the V5. Was it uk-car-discount your FiL bought from?

oldtoffee, thanks for your reply. From what you say, the surface rust shouldn't be a serious problem. Am I right to be wary, though, about paying new price for a car that's been sitting around for who knows how long? In addition, the front of the car was up on ramps when I saw it -- might this cause problems to the suspension if the car is left there for a while?

I wouldn't worry about the rust, if you buy the car make sure it has been properly valeted and the rust should all have gone. Keep an eye on the alloys and if they start to corrode (bubbles from behind the wheel facing or hub and/or hairline spider like lines apearing which you'll probably only notice if you clean the car carefully yourself) take it up as a warranty issue preferably within the first year as some manufacturers only cover mechanical problems in the 2nd and 3rd year (don't buy a Fiat like we did.) Being up on ramps to make it look all rugged, butch and 4wd-like won't damage the suspension.

Edited by oldtoffee on 21/11/2013 at 22:04

Thanks, oldtoffee. If I were to inspect the wheel as you mentioned in a previous post, what should I watch out for? Sorry if this sounds terribly daft, newbie here! Also, would I be able to negotiate a greater discount on a car that's in stock than on one I'd have to place a factory order for? I think I read something like this on a HJ guide.

uk car discount - any good? - slkfanboy

Never considered hill parking as an issue. Be sure that when going up the ramps, no damage as been done, maybe they missed the ramps at some point!

>>>>If I were to inspect the wheel as you mentioned in a previous post, what should I watch out for?

Get up close and look for small signs of "bubbling" where the lacquer is beginning to lift off the painted finish or thin spider like lines often black with brake dust engrained in them. Both are signs of the top coat lacquer being damaged and this means the alloys not properly protected against the elements and they will deteriorate much quicker. If there's another "new" car there compare the two.

I wouldn't worry too much about it and if the wheels get worse get it logged at the dealer at say around 9 months and they'll take photos and deal with it under warranty. It is a common problem with many cars - I've had to do this three times in the last 7 or 8 years and no argument from Hyundai or Subaru, all four wheels replaced with brand new on both cars but Fiat declined.

uk car discount - any good? - Galad

Hi Galad, thanks for the feedback, yes I've heard that some online brokers hang on to the V5. Was it uk-car-discount your FiL bought from?

Yes. What really hacked me off was that everytime I called I was promised the V5 and a follow up call to ensure it arrived safely.

Yes. What really hacked me off was that everytime I called I was promised the V5 and a follow up call to ensure it arrived safely.

Retaining the V5 is illegal for the seller /broker and can also lead to dificulties for the purchaser especially with regards to insurance where most companies require that:

"The vehicle is owned and registered by you, your spouse, partner or civil partner (not business partner) at your address and you, your spouse, partner or civil partner (not business partner) are the main driver of the vehicle"

If the car is not registered to you its is not possible to insure under the above clause and if you withold this fact you are going to find yourself uninsurred should the unthinkable happen.

uk car discount - any good? - quizman

I have bought 2 cars from www.carfile.net and have had the V5 straight away.

Carfile introduced me to a main dealer and I dealt with them. I was pleased with both deals, one a Ford, the other a VW. It was a much better expeariance than sitting in a dealers with a cup of boiling coffee while the sales rep is going too and froo to the boss.

I have bought 2 cars from www.carfile.net and have had the V5 straight away.

Bought my Seat from carfile.net in June, From my first e-mail to them to collection was 5 days. Saved £1800 over best local dealers price.

Hi oldtoffee, thanks for this info, it's very detailed and helpful, so I'll have a close look for signs of 'bubbling' if I decide to go for the car.

Galad, quizman, skidpan, thanks for the posts. I'd feel far more confident to buy the car if it was through drivethedeal or carfile, as these brokers get really good feedback. Unfortunately, neither of them sell the S Cross, or any Suzuki for that matter -- wonder why that is, perhaps because Suzuki haven't tapped into the fleet market yet?

Edited by guernito on 24/11/2013 at 17:31