2001 Mercedes Vito 110 CDi - Vito EDC light & limp mode, nothing on diagnostics - Merced

My 2001 Merc Vito CDi EDC light keeps coming on and engine cuts out. I wait 2 mins and it works again. It started since I put petrol in it but initially only on motorway when revving up to overtake. Now it does it if I go over 2000rpm. Had the petrol cleared out (soon as i put it in) by a mechanic who isn't a computerised engine expert! Had 2 diagnostics run on it, one with merc diagnostics, only glow plugs show up. The glow plug heater unit has been disconnected. Mechanic said glow plugs irrelevant on modern vitos. How do I progress from here??

2001 Mercedes Vito 110 CDi - Vito EDC light & limp mode, nothing on diagnostics - Gibbo_Wirral

I don't know your vehicle but does it have a particulate filter?

2001 Mercedes Vito 110 CDi - Vito EDC light & limp mode, nothing on diagnostics - Merced

hmmm, don't know! A mechanic lost my manual and haven't spent the £30 to get another as yet. was hoping for a cheaper option but maybe have to bight the bullet!

2001 Mercedes Vito 110 CDi - Vito EDC light & limp mode, nothing on diagnostics - elekie&a/c doctor

No dpf fitted on this model ,it is too early.Dpf on 2006 approx onwards.Have you had the fuel pressure system tested.?

I will ask the mechanic that checked it over but I'm pretty sure he did. If it's old school non-computerized checks he would have done. ANy other ideas? Thanks for checking the dpf

He hasn't checked the fuel pressure system. Is that likely to be a problem?

A friend said he had the same problem and it turned out to be a relay switch costing £10 but didn't show up on the diagnostics. how do you to find out if that's the problem if the diagnostics doesn't find it?!