Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - AP16

Hi all,

Took my motor in for a service last week, and upon inspection of the DPF my mechanic reports that it has 'clearly been cut out' by a previous owner - which on the face of it, isn't a massive problem as it prevents any massive bills for that part of the car going forwards.

However, what is a problem is that for the last 6 months or so the EML sporadically pings on at 70mph. We thought initially that the EGR was clogged (which I know is a common problem) but upon inspection of this, and reading of the codes using the scanner, nothing problematic was showing.

What's even more of an issue is that switching the ignition off (at 70mph - not safe at all!) and on resets the EML, also wipes any code it may be logging.

Upon learning that the DPF has been cut out, and the fact it can ping on only at 70mph (when the DPF would usually regen?), would you guys think that the ECU hasn't been remapped properly when the work was done?

Seems to me that the EML is being pinged because it's forcing the DPF regen, when there isn''t a DPF there?

I'm not overly technically minded, so please forgive any ignorance with the above - any help would be massively, massively appreciated as the car goes in tomorrow for a new clutch (ouch!) and it'd be good to have this EML issue looked into further.

If any of you have some advice I can pass on, that really would be great.

Thanks all,

AP

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - Collos25

The expensive problem will arise if they do the mot properly because without the DPF fitted it should fail.It states in the new MOT regs that all anti pollution equipment fitted when new must be still fitted at the time of test.

Have they re written the ECU program or bodged it ,they should have removed the EGR and all sensors and written them out of the program so they will no longer be of any problem if they have bodged it by giving the ECU program false values for the components its anybodies guess where to start.

Edited by Collos25 on 20/11/2013 at 09:26

Thanks for your reply. The MOT was fine a few weeks back, emissions tests etc.. all passed, and the car passed as a whole.

Regarding what was done by the previous owner, I actually don't know. I didn't know that the DPF had even been removed until a week or so back, I'm just guessing that the EML is pinging on as a result of the DPF being chopped out.

Just trying to work out if the EML pinging on at 70mph is more than likely related to the fact the DPF has been hauled out and the ECU not re-calibrated properly.

If that is the case, can my mechanic 'start again' if you like, and re-programme the ECU properly? Or now it's been done, can it not be sorted?

Thanks for your advice, it is really appreciated.

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - thunderbird

As Collos25 says your real problems will begin when your car is MOT'd by a propper garage and they fail it due to missing emissions kit, that will cost possibly over £1000 to reinstate it along with snsors and software.

If you look on single make forums there are plenty of threads where following DPF removal and bodged software updates the car keeps putting lights up on the dash. By all accounts some garages do a propper job but if your cars ECU is updated later as part of a manufacturer software campaign the DPF delete software will be overwritten and the car will then report faults.

Regarding your comment about a regen triggering at 70 mph this is not true. For a regen to trigger several conditions need to be met such as engine temp, exhaust pressure revs but speed is never one of them. All the handbooks I have read whilst we have owned cars fitted with DPF's have stated that for regens to take place revs need to be within a certain range, too little and the exhaust cannot achive the required temp and too high and the gas speed will again mean the exhaust cannot get up to temp. In my experience the recommended revs have been between about 1600 and 2000 but regens still take place at 70 mph when one of our cars is doing 2200 rpm.

But there may be one small flaw in your garages arguement. Most 2005 Focus 1.6 TDCi's did not have a DPF fitted. The 1.6 TDCi only had a DPF for Euro 4 which became law on Jan 01 2006. Euro 4 1.6 TDCi's only began manufacture late in 2005 and deliveries to dealers began early in November 2005. There were 1000's of Euro 3 cars wilh no DPF that needed to be registered by law before 31 December 2005 and dealers (and Ford) were pushing the sale of these before ordering Euro 4 cars.

If your 2005 is a Euro 4 car you are very unlucky. The V5 will tell you what emmisions class it is.

Thank you for your detailed reply, that is really appreciated.

I guess by 'at 70mph' I was meaning at the conditions that are correct for a regen, which I suppose are when I'm travelling around that speed anyway.

Just found this regarding your Euro3/4 info :

Date of First Registration 01 06 2005

CO2 Emissions 129 g/km

What do you think? Was I one of the unlucky ones based on that Reg date?

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I read that the physical presence of a DPF isn't an MOT requirement and that the MOT looks only at the emission test results, but that may not be correct. There's information and mis-information out there. You can't believe everything that you read on-line. It may be worthwhile reading through some of the Ford related forums on line to see what other Focus owners have to say about DPF removal, and perhaps 'phone a couple of those companies who claim to be able to remap the ECU to remove the regeneration software and see what they say. Perhaps the previous owner simply removed the DPF and didn't get the re-map done?

Edited by MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom on 20/11/2013 at 10:15

Just found this regarding your Euro3/4 info :

Date of First Registration 01 06 2005

CO2 Emissions 129 g/km

Your car was registered before Euro 4 cars started rolling off the production line, it will 100% be a Euro 3 and will never have been fitted with a DPF.

Forget the CO2 bit, DPF's do not change those. The remove the soot particles and a figure for that should also be on the V5.

Basically you need to find a garage that is familiar with the Focus TDCi. The one you have been too clearly have no idea and their poor knowledge will end up cost you large sums of money if you continue to use them.

Edited by thunderbird on 20/11/2013 at 10:32

I've just spoken to Busseys and with my Reg they confirm I do (did) have a DPF fitted. I can only assume, like you said, I've been incredibly unlucky.

Though my question is I suppose, can my garage (or someone) re-program the ECU again to by-pass the DPF re-gen all together. Am I right in assuming that this is probaby what's causing the EML to ping at what we'd expect to be re-gen conditions?

I've just spoken to Busseys and with my Reg they confirm I do (did) have a DPF fitted. I can only assume, like you said, I've been incredibly unlucky.

Presume Busseys are a Ford dealer. I am stunned that a car could be fitted with a DPF before they actually started making them. We bought a Focus 1.6 TDCi in December 2005 and it had no DPF and at the time the garage had yet to take delivery of 1.6 TDCi cars with a DPF fitted. From memory Euro 4 1.8 TDCis's and 2.0 TDCi's were in stock. They still had loads of 1.6 TDCi Euro 3 cars that had to be sold or pre registered by the end of December that year, they were in a bit of a pannic and we got a huge discount, a £17000 car for £12000 OTR with metallic and a Sony radio upgrade.

The 1.6 TDCi 90PS model did not have a DPF for Euro 4, only the 110PS model.

On your V5 in the emmisions section what is the figure for particles?

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - twitcherman

Notwithstanding thunderbird's advice, I wonder if the OP's mechanic has actually seen the physical evidence of DPF removal under the car, i.e signs of cutting & welding of the exhaust? If so that would chime with the info he's getting from the dealer.

I do however think he should check the V5 as this should be definitive.

I read that the physical presence of a DPF isn't an MOT requirement and that the MOT looks only at the emission test results, but that may not be correct. There's information and mis-information out there. You can't believe everything that you read on-line. It may be worthwhile reading through some of the Ford related forums on line to see what other Focus owners have to say about DPF removal, and perhaps 'phone a couple of those companies who claim to be able to remap the ECU to remove the regeneration software and see what they say. Perhaps the previous owner simply removed the DPF and didn't get the re-map done?

It is if it came out of the factory with one I suggest you read and thoroughly digest the new MOT regulations.

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - skidpan

Since I now have a Seat I visit the Seat forums and removing DPF's is at epidemic proportions. Companies openly advertise they do it and also openly offer to MOT cars they have modified if the owners have issues.

Owners of cars that have been remapped and had the DPF removed proudly discuss how smoky their cars are.

Clearly there is widespread abuse of whatever laws there are with regard to diesel emissions since DPF or not a smoky car should fail.

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - mfarrow

It is if it came out of the factory with one I suggest you read and thoroughly digest the new MOT regulations.

Collos25, where are these new regulations of which you speak?

Having read the MoT manual online, from April 2013, I cannot see anything which states that a DPF should be present where one was fitted.

Its not under DPF its is under original equipment or how the vehicle left the factory.

The MOT in the UK is so loosly policed any vehicle can pass if taken to the correct station unlike here in Germany the TUV can be a bit mindblowing thank heavens its only every two years.

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - mfarrow

Its not under DPF its is under original equipment or how the vehicle left the factory.

I'm sorry but I can't see that. There are specific items in the manual, like load-sensing valves, catalysts, and other items which are age-specific and therefore must be present, but nothing about DPFs. If there was a flat rule that a car cannot be modified then the aftermarket customs industry would quickly go under, or go into the black market.
Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - elekie&a/c doctor

This looks interestingcleanairinlondon.org/sources/thousands-may-be-driv.../

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - pd

Which page? There are no MOT requirements regarding original equipment or how a car left the factory unless the modification is deemed unroadworthy.

You can change anything you like on a car....wheels, take the entire airbag system out..do anything you want and as long as roadworthy as long as it meets the spec in the MOT manual it will pass.

I know you can't in Germany and TuV are much stricter on mods but not here.

Edited by pd on 22/11/2013 at 18:11

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - coopshere
Reading the relevant UK and EU legislation on the subject it is clear that a vehicle that was fitted with a DPF by the manufacturer for use within Europe will be used illegally in the UK if it has been removed or modified to such an extent that the vehicle fails to meet the original pollution requirement.

Unfortunately there are no tests currently in place in the UK to enforce this. The current emissions test for the MOT is woefully inadequate and will remain so until diesel emissions testing equipment is introduced under legislation. This could of course be introduced by the government at any time but don't hold your (polluted) breath on this matter. The EU regulations have been in place for many years and the UK government as all but declined to act on it.
Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - RT

Passing an MoT doesn't make a car legal, it's not the MoT Tester's job to check every single aspect of a car.

Type Approval And Euro Emissions regulations are complex and specific - VOSA can/will inspect to the nth degree if they have reason to think something is amiss.

There seems to be an attitude among some that you can do what you want with a car as long as it passes an MoT test - wrong, C&U Regulations incorporating EU Directives still apply, always relating to the date it was built or first registered.

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - pd

Passing an MoT doesn't make a car legal, it's not the MoT Tester's job to check every single aspect of a car.

Type Approval And Euro Emissions regulations are complex and specific - VOSA can/will inspect to the nth degree if they have reason to think something is amiss.

There seems to be an attitude among some that you can do what you want with a car as long as it passes an MoT test - wrong, C&U Regulations incorporating EU Directives still apply, always relating to the date it was built or first registered.

That may be true (although I've never seen it enforced much on used cars). However, this specific topic was about the OP's car not passing an MOT with the DPF removed which several people stated as fact. It isn't fact. It will pass if the emissions are low enough. As it is a pre-2008 car it almost certainly will pass.

The MOT may, at some point, be changed to include checking whether a DPF is there or not or increase the emission limits for newer cars to make it impracticle for one without to pass. I doubt this will effect older 2005ish cars.

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - coopshere
Unfortunately the current MOT test does not measure emissions on a diesel it's just a simple and almost meaningless smoke test. Until this is changed or checking of original equipment is changed then diesel engined cars can operate outside the law.
Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

OK - back to the beginning. You need to find what fault code is connected with the EML. I would have thought that any fault which brings the Engine Management Light in should be stored, even after the light has extinguished. I know on mine that in very hot weather the EML light comes in with a fault code for 'EGR performance' and although the light goes out the next day, the code remains stored - until I clear it with my code-reader. Could you borrow a code reader, such as the type which you can get for about forty quid from a car-parts shop? You could drive with it plugged in and get a passenger to read the fault code when the light comes in.

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Zetec - 2005 - Discovered DPF Has Been Removed! - 3puddings

I was informed by a mechanic when I had issues with my ford that it is an offence to remove the DPF or any part of it when the car is fitted with them (repacing parts is OK. If this is the case with your car you have a pretty good case under the Sale of Goods Act to take this up with the dealership you bought it from even if you bought it from them some time ago. The dealership will probabally kick and scream but stay firm and polite with them.

Also I would have it refitted as soon as possible, but buy the parts yourself rather than let the garage do it it will save you a fortune. The whole emmisssion management system on these engines is complex and the Regen does not just clean out the DPF but also essential for the turbo system, once the EGR getts clogged up with soot it is only a matter of time before the turbo goes too.